Impossible Options in an Action

MisterWerks

Question

Okay, I know that if a model cannot pay the Action's cost when declaring the Action, it fails and the Action is lost.  So I'm not talking about costs here.

If a model has to take an Action (but isn't Controlled), can the model take an Action that it knows will fail due to some rule conflict?  For instance, if model X is standing next to its own Scheme Marker and for reasons must take the Interact Action, can it choose to drop a Scheme Marker in base contact and then basically say, "Oh no!  I can't drop it within 4" of my other Scheme Marker" and resolve the Interact Action with no marker being dropped OR does it have to go with the viable option of removing all Scheme Markers in base contact?

2 answers to this question

Never mind.  The "This or That" rule on p33 made it clear.  "...The model making the choice may choose either options, provided they have the capability to resolve that option."  Since the present Scheme Marker would prevent that option from being resolved, it's not a viable choice.  Kinda like deleting a question in the forum doesn't seem to be a viable choice...

7 hours ago, MisterWerks said:

Okay, I know that if a model cannot pay the Action's cost when declaring the Action, it fails and the Action is lost.  So I'm not talking about costs here.

If a model has to take an Action (but isn't Controlled), can the model take an Action that it knows will fail due to some rule conflict?

For the record, there end up being two different situations a model gets into when resolving an action:

• It has to resolve a single effect that is impossible.  For instance "Discard a card" when there aren't any cards in the appropriate hand.  Result:  You attempt to resolve the impossible, nothing happens, and you continue to the next effect in the action.  Note that "A and B", and "A then B" ("Target suffers X and is pushed" or "Target suffers X, then is pushed") A and B are separate sequential effects.
  • It has to resolve "A or B" choices.  Stuff like "Discard a card or suffer 2 damage".  You can't choose an impossible option.

The point being that you can get into situations where you declare a trigger that goes through a long sequence of impossible effects, or have an action that's a long sequence of impossible effects.  You won't accomplish anything, but you can still declare the action, pay its cost, etc.

7 hours ago, MisterWerks said:

For instance, if model X is standing next to its own Scheme Marker and for reasons must take the Interact Action, can it choose to drop a Scheme Marker in base contact and then basically say, "Oh no!  I can't drop it within 4" of my other Scheme Marker" and resolve the Interact Action with no marker being dropped OR does it have to go with the viable option of removing all Scheme Markers in base contact?

Don't forget that that option is "Remove all enemy Scheme Markers in base contact".  If you declare Interact while standing on top of your own scheme marker, you're not going to remove your own marker.

Edit:  Aaarg.  I double checked the PDF and the print version, and both say:

2) remove all Scheme Markers in base contact with this model

In second edition, this functionality only removed enemy markers.  And I fear I've been playing it wrong for a while. 😨

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1