Ressers in October: strategic analysis of the pools.

3 hours ago, SEV said:

Great format. Can we have a quick report of your game with Belorey. Was the good Dr a fine choice in retrospect? 

I'll post a summary when I post the video :D

4 hours ago, Arlos896 said:

I love hearing the thought process for faction match ups! I wouldn't mind hearing who is your favored drop into Ten Thunders. 

I struggle with ten thunders but will have a think xD

• Like 1

And here's the video!

Spoilers:

• I drop (instead of create) the toxic marker which is a bit of a rules mistake.
  • Around 51 minutes in I overextend McMourning and almost lose the game on the spot. Luckily I win initiative next turn and am able to retreat.
  • I exert really good marker pressure all game, which is important because...
  • By turn 5 I'm down to a single model! But that's okay, because I went hard on points throughout the game and Belorey just cannot catch up.
  • McMourning made like 2 successful attacks all game xD
  • I went with a SUPER cautious deployment, which paid off. All my models got into position safely (and then promptly got hammered once they were at the centreline xD)
  • I did a 7/1 split for my deployment (7 experimental models + manos)
    • He went for making the 7 deploy first, which was a mistake as Manos got to deploy perfectly.
    • Pro tip - if your opponent does a 7-1 split, they probably want you to pick the 7

@SEV, any other comments you want?

EDIT: Dr McMourning was a pretty solid choice I think. The Rogue Necromancy did not do much and didn't get to tank as much as it normally would, but that's because I had to emergency heal McMourning and made a conscious decision to let it die. Ironically I barely made use of precise (the reason I took McMourning into Guild), but the combination of tons of healing with hard to wound is really mean to Guild damage tracks.

I think I do like the cautious style with McMourning over the alpha strike. Playing cautious also means the kentauroi + curator combo offers a serious threat that the opponent has to play around constantly.

Overall, I like the build, and imagine it'll be even more potent once I get the hang of it. Definitely an argument to drop rogue necro for a kentauroi or dead rider so I can move McMourning around the table more effectively.

• Like 1

looking forward to watch it this evening :) 

... my game ended 4-6 for my opponent
i tried using a crooligan for claim jump - and failed :D 
and had hidden martyr on rogue and necrotic machine

it was a fun game - great opponent
I thought vincent didnt have much impact, but my opponent said he was quite annoying for him... did summon tengus to dark bargain his models to interact the same turn... quite a nice strategy 

next 1st time playing against arcanist :D + can choose deployment zone

16 minutes ago, doubleW said:

looking forward to watch it this evening :) 

... my game ended 4-6 for my opponent
i tried using a crooligan for claim jump - and failed :D 
and had hidden martyr on rogue and necrotic machine

it was a fun game - great opponent
I thought vincent didnt have much impact, but my opponent said he was quite annoying for him... did summon tengus to dark bargain his models to interact the same turn... quite a nice strategy 

next 1st time playing against arcanist :D + can choose deployment zone

That was probably bad advice from me; I have only played against Asami once!

Your opponent said it was a super close game and you put tons of pressure on him, so that's good! He could see it easily going 5-5 tie if things had been a bit different, so well done!

I'm against Bayou and made a video about masters into the pool (should be posted by tomorrow).

For Arcanists, I'm not fully sure. Any masters you were thinking? 

5 hours ago, Arlos896 said:

So one thing I've noticed is that people talk about how versatile and good Kirai is, but I rarely ever see her in battle reports and she never even showed up in the later rounds of the vassal world series. So when do people feel comfortable reaching for her keyword? 

There's 2-3 people playing her this round, I think, so we will at least see reports of how she did! Kirai mirror match, actually xD

After my four videos, we'll be able to see where I marked her Green, although I'm not fully sure where she is great myself. I think break the line and leylines most likely.

Lists are in for my game!

My Yan Lo 2:

• Yan Lo 2 & totem
  • Manos
  • Yin
  • Toshiro + Whisper
  • Restless Spirit
  • Komainu
  • Komainu

His Zoraida 2:

• Zoraida without totem
  • The First Mate
  • Grootslang
  • Silurid
  • Silurid
  • Silurid
  • Bayou Gator
  • Bayou Gator

He apparently has decided to make the most wily crew ever! But my Ashigaru help just force his models to actually engage in a fight, so I think that my list happens to do a lot of work against his list. Guess we'll see!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

• Zoraida without totem
  • The First Mate
  • Grootslang
  • Silurid
  • Silurid
  • Silurid
  • Bayou Gator
  • Bayou Gato

That's what I call a stealth list ! I'm surprise he went for this list against Yan, but I don't k ow the matchup well (and don't know the titles version at all). 

The scheme pool is quite good for this kind of list. I think Z was one of the best master for this round. With such an all in list he'll probably go for outflank (easy to spot if both Gator deployed on the corner... but hard to stop, at least for the 1st point) and C&R (silurid... you'llhave to guess). Z2 is also great at B&S herself so be aware of that. He can do spread but I personally think it's too ap intensive in symbols (moth witch help though). Death bed is unlikely.

Good luck. I'll watch your video later.

Edit : Ashigaru are fine to protect the symbols (shadow effigy negate that though) but I don't think your oponent want to fight at all... he'll run all game. This will probably be a high scoring one since it's hard for both of you to negate what the other is doing. 

• Thanks 1

The game! Some highlights:

• Yan Lo does WORK.
    • Runs all over the board
    • Grabs two symbols
    • Scores spread them out.
    • Kills a silurid or two
    • Repositions enemy models.
    • Repositions friendly models
    • Draws a ton of cards
    • Removes markers.
  • Manos charges in early and dies a horrible death.
  • Yin gets bogged down and dies too.
  • Iron doggos to the rescue.
  • Toshiro + restless spirit + ashigaru = none of my symbols picked up until turn 5.
  • Like 1

Round 3!

New Jack Daw vs new Ophelia. I didn't want to deal with all of the plink damage on Jack Daw 1, so figured I'd go for 2 and see if I could tank through it. He only has 2 ruthless models, so that should help a lot :D

My list:

• Jack Daw 2
  • Lady Ligeia
  • Dead Rider
  • Montresor
  • Hanged with GST
  • Hanged with GST
  • Guilty
  • 5 stones

His list:

• Ophelia 2
  • Triple totem
  • Rami Lacroix
  • Sammy Lacroix
  • Francois Lacroix with inferiority complex
  • Gautraeux Bokor
  • Raphael Lacroix with inferiority complex
  • Lucky Effigy
  • 5 stones

So... He's got quite the horde there, but only two of them ignore terrifying so maybe it'll be okay.

8 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Round 3!

New Jack Daw vs new Ophelia. I didn't want to deal with all of the plink damage on Jack Daw 1, so figured I'd go for 2 and see if I could tank through it. He only has 2 ruthless models, so that should help a lot :D

My list:

• Jack Daw 2
  • Lady Ligeia
  • Dead Rider
  • Montresor
  • Hanged with GST
  • Hanged with GST
  • Guilty
  • 5 stones

His list:

• Ophelia 2
  • Triple totem
  • Rami Lacroix
  • Sammy Lacroix
  • Francois Lacroix with inferiority complex
  • Gautraeux Bokor
  • Raphael Lacroix with inferiority complex
  • Lucky Effigy
  • 5 stones

So... He's got quite the horde there, but only two of them ignore terrifying so maybe it'll be okay.

oh... so not just old masters! ;)
I was wondering if you are doing one of your great analysis again? ... and if - hoping it comes up soon :)

did loose round2 again btw :D 6-7 Molly1 vs Kaeris1 

...still thinking about which master to play for round 3
the Railroad Tracks are not severe? -  which makes it easier for alot of crews I guess

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doubleW said:

oh... so not just old masters! ;)
I was wondering if you are doing one of your great analysis again? ... and if - hoping it comes up soon :)

did loose round2 again btw :D 6-7 Molly1 vs Kaeris1 

...still thinking about which master to play for round 3
the Railroad Tracks are not severe? -  which makes it easier for alot of crews I guess

Video has been sent to the host, so should be up sometime in the next day or two!

And sounds like a close game!

And yeah, tracks aren't severe.

• Like 1

Great video. 

I’ve been getting back into faux after a stint with just playing TOS. Molly has historically been my main master but lately I’ve been running lots of jack. Keen to see how your game goes. 

Ran jack 1 (no titles) this weekend in 2 of 3 games in a tournament. I’m a bit rusty with him but got 2 draws. One into yan lo in wedge turf war and one into jedza flank symbols. I would normally avoid jack into symbols but really just wanted games with him. 

Really enjoy playing jack. Getting the odd game on the side with jack 2 and he’s really fun. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Metalhed said:

PS - what software are you using for recording? It’s really clear both audio and video. Our group's been toying with recording some vassal games so interested in hearing what works. 

Using OBS, it works really well, but takes like 15 minutes to get setup the first time. Then after that it is click a button and you're good to go!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Using OBS, it works really well, but takes like 15 minutes to get setup the first time. Then after that it is click a button and you're good to go!

Thanks. My basic had research had come up with that as a good option. Seeing it work well with your vassal and your comment is super helpful. 

• Like 1