Played some McMourning 1 today. 

With titles out, I'm trying to get more familiar with some of the original masters so I can pivot into either title easily. I'm also wanting to get better at declaring the right master for the right faction/pool.

And ooooo boy, McMourning is a sweet package. There's been plenty of talk of 2, so I'll focus on 1.

McMourning 1 is super strong if a few criteria can be met:

• Against a faction where precise ignores most of their defensive tech (Arcanists, Guild, ES, perhaps others?).
  • There's a pool where McMourning can spend as little time as possible walking once the game gets going.
    • I've found Break The Line is good for this.
  • You have a little bit of time to durdle.
    • You don't need much, but if you can get 3-4 activations to durdle a bit it helps a ton.
  • There aren't too many things McMourning is weak against.
    • Anti-healing is the critical one.
      • Although now you just pivot into mcmourning 2 if they're going anti-healing.
    • Offensive condition removal isn't on basically everything.

So overall, there feels like a ton of play for McMourning 1. I think one thing with McMourning is he is SO faction-based, you can't really declare him into a pool like you can with other masters. So that probably accounts for people thinking he is weak - playing him into the wrong matchups.

Curator also adds a LOT to McMourning 1:

• Rancid Transplant once on turn 1, and you've got a solid threat for the rest of the game.
  • Curator can also end a turn next to a friendly model and heal it back to full.
  • Marker moving
  • His bonus action just disengages everything around him

And overall it is just a SOLID package for a McMourning 1 crew. I've been doing about 10-20 poison on it turn 1, and it feels really good (that's a single rancid transplant in my builds).

Got a video of one of the games, so will post it later!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/2/2021 at 3:56 PM, Maniacal_cackle said:

About 16-20 both games I think, which was plenty.

It is probably not going to live the whole game, and you can top it up later if needed. And it has other tools.

Sorry if this is obvious but I am new to the game. How do you get so many stacks on curator? Why would it tick off 3 stacks a turn like "thatguy" posted? Did the curator model release yet?

Again sorry for dumb questions.

42 minutes ago, Blainetrain said:

Sorry if this is obvious but I am new to the game. How do you get so many stacks on curator? Why would it tick off 3 stacks a turn like "thatguy" posted? Did the curator model release yet?

Again sorry for dumb questions.

there are a few ways to stack poison. 

Rancid transplant will let you move a poison stack from one model to another. As can Transfusion

Flask of Formaldehyde can quickly put poison on several models

Bottle of painkillers can quickly add poison (and heal if you have attacked with the intent of usign the infect trigger.

Between those, and a number of models that start with high poison you can get high numbers on the curator if you want. 

Poison would normally reduce by one. If you use symbiotic relation ship to move that poison damage to another model then that also reduces the poison by 2. So that's the 3 talked about. 

The model is not yet released. We only have up to December on their upcoming releases, and its not in that set. They seem to be releasing 2 Master boxes a month, so all the Malifaux burns stuff should be released by next November (earlier if they increase the release rate), but where in that timeline anything is, we don't know. 

Edit - as an example look at the following models

McMorning, Rafkin, Nurse, Little gasser, Curator.

All but the Curator start with poison +2

Gasser activates and attacks Rafkin twice for the infect trigger +2 poison at least. Ends activation, poison +1 on all models. Nurse activates, bottle of pain killer  on RAfkin to heal the frantic flaining damage, and +2 poison (+7 on Rafkin). Seduction of Rafkin to make him throw bottle of Formalydyhde twice. Hopefully of the 5 models listed here you get an average of +2 poison on each. Rafkin activates, poison +1 onto everyone. 2 more bottles of formalydhyde, transfusign with a mask to move poison +3 onto the curator from the gasser and the nurse (Hopefully poison +12 on the curator now). McMornign activates, rancid transplants the Curator, moving the poison from Rafkin (hopefully about poison +11), the curator ends with poison +25. 

17 minutes ago, Blainetrain said:

Lol wow that's a lot of poison flinging. Thank you for all the information. Does bottle of painkillers HAVE to target someone with damage? If not could the gasser use pull my finger twice to target multiple models since it's not a bonus action?

Bottle of pain killers doesn't have to target someone with damage, and yes the Gassers could pull my finger twice to spread poison. I chose the other way as they may get more than 2 poison out of Rafkin if I flip or cheat a crow, but actually thinking about it, 1 on Rafkin and 1 on the curator is as good as 2 on Rafkin for this purpose. 

There may be more efficient ways, this was just one that came to mind as a way to get high poison. It may not be a good idea still, as its quite action intensive. 

hm... i don'T get why you want to do all that on the off chance that the curator survives to do the 8 dmg to some other model at the end of some round. I mean he is not terribly tanky, and any condition removal makes all this effort seem worthless to me. Can you really reliably pull it off so it's worth the effort?

Just now, Blainetrain said:

i mean what I want is to make a half decent crew with the mcmourning box I purchased lol. Ams that doable?

Yes it is doable with limited further purchases. You probably need either "Stitched and Sown" or "Surgical Staff" to create a 50 ss list, but eitehr of those two with the McMourning core should get you a half decent list.  What I listed wasn't a half decent list, but a possible answer to how you get models that high. 

32 minutes ago, Gheist said:

hm... i don'T get why you want to do all that on the off chance that the curator survives to do the 8 dmg to some other model at the end of some round. I mean he is not terribly tanky, and any condition removal makes all this effort seem worthless to me. Can you really reliably pull it off so it's worth the effort?

Probably you don't want to do it on the off chance you get 8 damage. Its a little more likely you might want to do it get get a large healing lift to something you have, or even just to have the threat of large damage. If you're building a high poison count on a model anyway, its only 1 action away from transferring it to the Curator. 

I was just idly wondering if it would work more than once per opponent

I understand the threat it creates, just havent't seen either the Curator or the new Kaeris in action and am sceptical about the whole "i stand next to your model at the end of the round an it dies thing"

---> so the understanding is that with symbiotic relationship it can also heal everything with perverse metabolism because it's damage from poison? then i kind of retract my question :Ddidn't get that while reading the card

42 minutes ago, Gheist said:

I was just idly wondering if it would work more than once per opponent

I understand the threat it creates, just havent't seen either the Curator or the new Kaeris in action and am sceptical about the whole "i stand next to your model at the end of the round an it dies thing"

---> so the understanding is that with symbiotic relationship it can also heal everything with perverse metabolism because it's damage from poison? then i kind of retract my question :Ddidn't get that while reading the card

Yeah, ive had it heal a model for five.

You can also pass along damage/healing from blood poisoning.

The one-shot is a meme.

But threatening 5 damage is efficient and forces them to jump through some hoops.

15 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Yeah, ive had it heal a model for five.

You can also pass along damage/healing from blood poisoning.

The one-shot is a meme.

But threatening 5 damage is efficient and forces them to jump through some hoops.

Yup. Very much feels like it's LadyJ's Counter-attack. You might never use it, but your opponent has to factor it into his plans in the same way, even if it's just making sure they leave a Condition removal model until the last activation, or dedicating a model to delete it that they might want to use on something more valuable.