Arcanists Burns: How'd we do?

Jordon

10 hours ago, Kaeris_Main said:

Like it wouldn't need to be GOOD, like... Ignite, or drop a scrap marker, or pick up a scrap to draw a card, or something unique. I just think it'd be cool to be able to push 2' afterwards. I do find she can be a little squishy so it might help. Plus it just seems like a bit of a waste! She's got these cool trigger abilities and no way to trigger them on defense. I agree she doesn't need it but it'd be fun!

Since you can "declare" a trigger anytime you have the suit it would give her a more restricted butterfly jump... Would have to be careful about what the trigger actually does beyond that buuuut.... I would love it, she'd be even more slippery...

She could declare it against friendlies doing things like magnetism, pneumatic toss, lure, dispel magic or wrench heal (depending if trigger happens with DF/MV/WP etc.) It also doesn't matter much if her steam is up for these. She can push regardless if the attacking friendly hit their TN on a neg or not. A friendly can try and magnetism her in concealing, she relents, decreases her dual total by 2 to add suit before declaring DF trigger. Push, profit. Would be awesome... I get why they haven't cracked that can of worms tho....

1 hour ago, frumpypigskin said:

Since you can "declare" a trigger anytime you have the suit it would give her a more restricted butterfly jump... Would have to be careful about what the trigger actually does beyond that buuuut.... I would love it, she'd be even more slippery...

She could declare it against friendlies doing things like magnetism, pneumatic toss, lure, dispel magic or wrench heal (depending if trigger happens with DF/MV/WP etc.) It also doesn't matter much if her steam is up for these. She can push regardless if the attacking friendly hit their TN on a neg or not. A friendly can try and magnetism her in concealing, she relents, decreases her dual total by 2 to add suit before declaring DF trigger. Push, profit. Would be awesome... I get why they haven't cracked that can of worms tho....

Totally agree, the trigger doesn't need to good, it would give Mei Free pushes when ever she wants (She can't relent and declare a trigger, but otherwise you're spot on), which is a very powerful thing.  I think there is a reason why Butterfly jump only works on enemy attacks, and this would be potentially better than that (I suppose you could restrict the trigger to enemy only to make just nearly as good as butterfly jump.) 

Its a huge power up, and whilst it might be "fun" you would have to drop quite a lot of power from her card else where to try and balance it. 

EDIT - Reading is good, don't just rely on your memory - relenting still allows you to declare triggers this edition, I was thinking of M2E.

Thank you Trikk

1 hour ago, Adran said:

Its a huge power up, and whilst it might be "fun" you would have to drop quite a lot of power from her card else where to try and balance it. 

Why? She's not exactly sweeping tournaments as she is, I doubt she'd be buffed too far by a change like this. It's a decent boost, but she wasn't even competitively strong when Bombs in Your Belly made her melee defences much stronger than this.

She is poorly rated competitively due to the ease of countering her and her crew's schtick, so buffing the non scrap/hazardous/armour parts of her crew would be nice.

53 minutes ago, Jinn said:

Why? She's not exactly sweeping tournaments as she is, I doubt she'd be buffed too far by a change like this. It's a decent boost, but she wasn't even competitively strong when Bombs in Your Belly made her melee defences much stronger than this.

She is poorly rated competitively due to the ease of countering her and her crew's schtick, so buffing the non scrap/hazardous/armour parts of her crew would be nice.

Typically I enter these conversations on the assumption that the model is currently balanced unless the conversation is saying otherwise (If its what models should be buffed then that is obviously different). So when some one suggests adding something "for fun" I assume its not intended to change the power level of the model. I think this would be a big change to Mei's power level (partially based on the outcry from the neverborn when they lost Butterfly jump on an upgrade), and so on the assumption that the intention isn't to buff her, you would need to lower power else where. If you are trying to buff her then that's a different conversation.

• Agree 1

I think she's at a point where she could stand to get a small buff without unbalancing things. If she did get a defensive trigger I'd absolutely want it to be either enemy-only, or After Succeeding (potentially both, but a When Resolving, enemy-only could be interesting too). 

If the trigger had italtics to eat a scrap marker it'd make it somewhat situational (since she then couldn't declare it without spare scrap) but still interesting. If it were a small effect I think it could work.

Honestly though I'd rather see buffs to Neil and Willie, and maybe a small one to Kang before Mei herself. If she did get anything, my first wishlist item would be lowering the TN on her bonus by 1-2. Since her crew doesn't draw cards at all, cheating the 6/8 you need for that to go off can actually be somewhat painful.

On 10/1/2021 at 7:41 AM, frumpypigskin said:

Funnily enough, this is exactly what Mei had in 2E XD. While I do think she is strong and people don't give her enough credit, I would def like Leap Aside again