Jump to content

A challenge


Regelridderen
 Share

Recommended Posts

So I just got challenged to a game next saturday - first game since GG0. And I was considering whether to go with the Ol’ Neverborn or try out my thunder paint project.

This is the pool :

Corrupted ley lines // Flank

Outflank

Let them bleed

Detonate Charges

Assassinate

Death Beds

-

Your options are :

Dora’s Despair (my most experience)

Dreamers Diddling (always a strong choice)

Lucius’ Lewdness (never seen a fleck of table top dust on his robes).

with every versatile, but the Emissary and an option to paint up some mature Nephilim off of Nekima’s box. 

So as you might guess, I’d love a chance to put Lucy to the test. 

But what would you choose?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Lucius is so fun in guild and I'm keen to try his build in Neverborn. This is what I'd take:

New Lucius Mattheson Crew (Neverborn)
Size: 50 - Pool: 4
Leader:
  Lucius Mattheson
Totem(s):
  The Scribe
Hires:
  Mysterious Emissary
  Guild Lawyer
  Changeling
  Mature Nephilim
    Inhuman Reflexes
  Mature Nephilim 2
    Inhuman Reflexes
 

But can easily swap out the hooded rider for the emissary to carry the lodestone.

It is a funky obey style crew, but I think it is good fun.

EDIT: Since it isn't always clear, basically what Lucius does is issue command a Mature Neph, then issue command to a changeling to issue command to a mature neph, then issue command to a lawyer to obey a mature neph (assuming it discarded a mask earlier in the turn). And since the Mature neph can charge while engaged, that can be three charges in one activation! Then Lawyer can obey Mature neph/obey changeling to command Neph, and changeling can command Neph.

In total, you can get 6 extra AP for a Mature Neph, or you can split it  over the two of them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I think Lucius is so fun in guild and I'm keen to try his build in Neverborn. This is what I'd take:

New Lucius Mattheson Crew (Neverborn)
Size: 50 - Pool: 4
Leader:
  Lucius Mattheson
Totem(s):
  The Scribe
Hires:
  Mysterious Emissary
  Guild Lawyer
  Changeling
  Mature Nephilim
    Inhuman Reflexes
  Mature Nephilim 2
    Inhuman Reflexes
 

But can easily swap out the hooded rider for the emissary to carry the lodestone.

It is a funky obey style crew, but I think it is good fun.

EDIT: Since it isn't always clear, basically what Lucius does is issue command a Mature Neph, then issue command to a changeling to issue command to a mature neph, then issue command to a lawyer to obey a mature neph (assuming it discarded a mask earlier in the turn). And since the Mature neph can charge while engaged, that can be three charges in one activation! Then Lawyer can obey Mature neph/obey changeling to command Neph, and changeling can command Neph.

In total, you can get 6 extra AP for a Mature Neph, or you can split it  over the two of them.

I have played the 2x IR matures with him, and they are indeed solid (if you can keep them alive long enough).

What I would like to know is why you're bringing the Emmy?

I'd rather bring something like agent or doppelganger that can hitch a ride with matures, mimic their attack and draw cards.

(Also, a model may only charge once during a single activation, so each mature can only charge once during Lucius' activation)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hawkoon said:

I have played the 2x IR matures with him, and they are indeed solid (if you can keep them alive long enough).

What I would like to know is why you're bringing the Emmy?

I'd rather bring something like agent or doppelganger that can hitch a ride with matures, mimic their attack and draw cards.

Planted roots on leylines was the main reason.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Planted roots on leylines was the main reason.

Yeah, that makes sense. He doesn't really have much other synergy with Lucius, so I was just curious if there were something I've missed.

You could also bring a waldgeist for the same purpose for less SS, and be able to issue command to it as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Hawkoon said:

Yeah, that makes sense. He doesn't really have much other synergy with Lucius, so I was just curious if there were something I've missed.

You could also bring a waldgeist for the same purpose for less SS, and be able to issue command to it as well.

You can still issue command to the emissary if you filter it through a lawyer to obey it, but yeah that's an option. Emissary is just so much tankier. Possibly worth trying out both options. Or just hooded rider can solo it xD

He does have a bit of synergy with Agent copying his attack, I think, but not sure that's a big argument (and of course irrelevant for this list as there's no agent in it xD)

I absolutely love Agent 46 in Guild, but I think he combos really well with ranged attacks to mimic (Since his own attack is monstrous in melee).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just think that if you're going for the double matures, you'll need to be dedicated to making it work, and you'll need to support them well, because if they die it's game over. One way of doing that is just go all in and try to kill all threats before they get to retaliate, but I would probably try to bring in some healing just to keep the engine running. I don't really think there is room for a dedicated lodestone carrier in such a crew.

After thinking it through a bit more, I'd just swap out the Emissary for Serena.

New Lucius Mattheson Crew
Size: 50 - Pool: 6
Leader:
  Lucius Mattheson
Totem(s):
  The Scribe
Hires:
  Serena Bowman
  Guild Lawyer
  Changeling
  Mature Nephilim
    Inhuman Reflexes
  Mature Nephilim 2
    Inhuman Reflexes

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Regelridderen said:

with every versatile, but the Emissary and an option to paint up some mature Nephilim off of Nekima’s box. 

So I'm pretty sur Emissary is not an option for the OG 😀.

This is the kind of Leyline pool where I would feel confident to bring Dora. But, yeah trying stuff is cool!

I think your new Rolling TT crew could thrive here (especially if you have Huckser painted)... But I'm no McCabe player and Lucius is one of the few NB master (with Euripides) that I don't play... So I don't have much to say about those keywords.

About NB versatile/OOk though, I do like the Emissary as a Ball carrier but you don't have this option. The double mature list above seems nice but doesn't seems very well suited for Leyline.

If there's not too much severe, Vassi is a fine ball carrier. Especially if she carries a doll with her.  If you have a lot of severe, I would go with good ol' Hoody if you have the points. But a madness OOk could also work well. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Regelridderen said:

I definitely need to play with Lucius and his mature nephilims. 

I might look into Candy over the Emissary/Serena. She doesn’t need cards to be a nuisance, can heal and can really profit from getting tossed around by a couple of nephs. 

That is a good option. With 2 matures she shouldn't have a problem getting into position either.

Now why didn't I think of that? I guess I tend to reach for Serena for healing out of old habit ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

One issue is nephilim can't carry the lodestone, so you need a plan for that.

There is no reason they couldn't take the lodestone, they just cant fly with it. They are still move 6 with all the extra moves they could still get where they need to.

  • Respectfully Disagree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Corwin said:

There is no reason they couldn't take the lodestone, they just cant fly with it. They are still move 6 with all the extra moves they could still get where they need to.

Yeah, they can do it really inefficiently, but I prefer that as a backup plan rather than a plan A. I'd rather the Mature Neph go kill things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Corwin said:

There is no reason they couldn't take the lodestone, they just cant fly with it. They are still move 6 with all the extra moves they could still get where they need to.

If you invest 13ss in a beater just to have it carrying the ball in a really inefficient way you're shooting yourself in the foot...

Obviously if you have to do it one-game to score a point it's an other story (and you should), but there's better game plan (even with Lucius 🤣).

As I said :

Low severe map : Vasi would be my main carrier.  

high severe map : 1) the luxury option is the Hooded (since he can do so much more - taxi other model early; go for a far marker R3/4 than pass back the ball to a less mobile models and come back to wreck Hancock with your ultimate); 2) use the poor man Emissary (Waldgeist) with ambush + obey/issue command it should be fast enough and they do have planted roots. Give them IR for extra survivability and a way to get out engagement and you have a fine ball carrier.

Lot of blocking/hazardous: I like a madness OOk here. I'm not sure a lot of NB player will agree on this one, but I think madness is a legit model. It's tanky enough and even though it doesn't have planted roots, it can score and denied on the same turn (scatter is great).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah... And with a Changeling you can just like you scatter and disembodied voice (albeit the target must be within 3" of your madness) for some nice value.

Edit : also, I think you can go really low on stone with the double mature build (even to 0) since Lucius is your only stone user and you don't really need them for the card draw. So maybe you can hire a second Lawyer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information