Malifaux Burns Story Discussion

Every GenCon when a new Malifaux book drops there's always a thread dedicated to discussing the new fluff reveals for those who don't mind spoilers and are still waiting to get their hands on copies. Malifaux Burns contains one lengthy story (it's almost fifty pages long) - along with lots of short description paragraphs for all of the new characters that were introduced. What did people think of the arrival of the Burning Man in Malifaux? Whose arcs surprised you? What moments were exciting? Who didn't appear that you wish had, and any wild speculations for what might come next? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HomelessOne said:

I'm waiting for my copy to arrive, but I do have one burning question: what on earth happened to Von Schill? He was pretty injured in the fight with Hamelin's forces, but it didn't come off as it being necessary to amputate below the neck in the Outcasts book.

Maybe Euripides is holding his intestines?

(Waiting for mine aswell)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all! Now that it's been a few weeks since Gen Con and hopefully more people have had an opportunity to pick up and read through Malifaux Burns, I thought I would try and re-initiate this thread and encourage others to share story updates for those who are interested in the lore and are still waiting on their copies. Admittedly the lore (and speculating about it!) has always been my favorite part of Malifaux and I'm curious to hear what others think. Thought I'd kick us off!

In a nutshell, Malifaux Burns is a single lengthy story (it's LONG, 46 pages) that covers how eight masters are influenced by the Burning Man and transformed into their new titles, although a few others masters (Ivan, Dashel, Ironsides, Lucius, Nexus, Titania) make non-trivial appearances in the narrative. Although the piece reads like several lengthy vignettes bound around a central narrative featuring the Governor-General, most of them are all connected to one another through explicit allusion. 

Highlights:

* Euripides: Seer-sight blinded by the arrival of the Burning Man, Euripides hastens his journey to reunify with Titania, who teaches him an even deeper and more sinister form of blood magic which helps him transcend the arcane suppression of the Burning Man.

* Maxine: Given a dose of mad inspiration by her copy of the Contiones, Maxine adjusts her theory of interdimensional travel to successfully predict the arrival of the Burning Man in Malifaux, but loses more of herself in a monomaniacal pursuit of metaphysical science in the process.

* Reva: Reva, who is suffering from suffocating nightmares and the scars of her childhood trauma, is on the run with her loyal supporters but finds that the water supply in her latest hideout has been infected with a strange algae. The Burning Man provides her with spiritual guidance to overcome the torment in her soul and helps her cleanse her camp.

* Ulix: Ulix isn't driven mad - he's still our favorite pig rancher. But, as if by chance, the Burning Man's corrupting energy turns his prized golden piglet into a massive engine of destruction. The bond formed by riding on his precious pig fills Ulix with a mobility and purpose that he had not enjoyed since losing one of his legs. 

* Nellie: While investigating a Cult crime scene (they're in Malifaux now!), Nellie pilfers a copy of the Contiones despite Dashel's best efforts to keep her from it - not to mention the unexpected arrival of a massive breachling that nearly consumes them both.

* Parker: Parker is about to be hung by the Guild for his attempted theft of the Hanging Tree with Zipp, but he is saved by the timely arrival of the Burning Man. After a narrow escape from an executioner and the lawyer who condemned him to die, Barrows believes he has been saved for a higher purpose.

* Kaeris: Kaeris is led into a trap as part of an elaborate Guild sting despite Ironsides' good-faith efforts to save her. Right when all seems lost and her Firebranded are swarmed with witchlings, the Burning Man ignites magic Kaeris never knew she possessed and pushes her abilities far beyond what Ramos ever taught her. 

* Misaki: Corrupted by the Burning Man, Misaki has a dialogue with a mysterious interlocutor who reveals a forgotten memory, causing her to question all that Youko has taught her since "Three Riddles and a Traitor." To say any more would spoil the gimmick in this vignette. 

Some cool stuff:

* Governor-General Marlow fighting a massive Breachling with powerful defensive magic and saving his most loyal supporters when all hell breaks loose upon the Burning Man's arrival.

* Ivan and Mr. Moordrake secretly passing messages to each other through shadow magic. 

* Gretchen being Gretchen... who exactly is this woman!?

* Orville and Ivan joking about the brutality of peer review

* Parker Barrows fighting for his life against an Executioner without a weapon and winning by playing dirty

* Lucius quoting Tacitus on the Great Fire of Rome as he watches Malifaux city burn from afar

* Anasalea Kaeris... being Kaeris and burning two witchling thralls to literal ash in a massive supernova 

* Lots of Easter eggs. References to the author's other stories (Birmingham, Nicolo, Hermann, Monastas, and the butterflies from "The Portrait" make a brief appearance or are mentioned, as does the character of Soory Brydon from "The Grass Menagerie" in Chronicles). Misaki's vision draws heavily from the M1E story "World in Chaos" (almost 10 years ago!) and Kaeris' memories of Ramos are pulled directly from Tim Akers' story about Ironsides and Kaeris in the Arcanist Faction Book. 

Some surprising stuff:

* Seems odd that Misaki was the one Thunders master most affected by the Burning Man... Mei Feng would have seemed the more obvious candidate in my view after she was humbled by Misaki. But certainly not complaining. 

* Titania preparing for war

* No news about Lilith. Seems like she's still in the pit.

So what did people like? What surprised them? Where do we head from here? 

• Like 1

- I am still super unsure if we should go and Spoiler away but well, here we go

- I am surprised that so many Characters get into seemingly unsolvable situations, like Misaki, Nellie and Maxine ---> and truth be told i am a bit saddened to see their sanity go on vacation.

- I am happy that not everybody of the eight gets just to be a mindless  follower of the burning man, i kind of feared the 9th faction "Burning Man" to appear tbh.

---> overall it's an very open scenario of brutal change with no real conclusion, so masterly you can go anywhere from here onwards ;) I feel as if the overall setting has gotten so big one would need more regular upgrades to tell it properly. I vote for Story upgrades to go along with Gaining Grounds, cause i'm still rather hungry after this.

I guess we are going to see Characters cross over to and from TOS to and from Malifaux. I hope there is some big Metaplot afoot and we see Lucius, Gretchen, Titania and all the Tyrants in an Epic conclusion before we get kicked into next edition. And i want to see Lilith back as bad as you do. And i think someone should unearth Nicodem :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gheist said:

I vote for Story upgrades to go along with Gaining Grounds, cause i'm still rather hungry after this

This is a really cool idea! I wonder if they could put a story or two in the PDF or at least publish some kind of official companion piece in Chronicles as I imagine they want to keep the PDFs short for reference during competitive play?

16 hours ago, StormLordXIII said:

This is a really cool idea! I wonder if they could put a story or two in the PDF or at least publish some kind of official companion piece in Chronicles as I imagine they want to keep the PDFs short for reference during competitive play?

I don't know the effort they put into the storyline e.g. how many people and planning and Co-Writing and reviewing and so on, so that would kind of dictate how realistic this is BUT, i feel we are getting more game changes this edition than story changes (this is a completely subjective impression). I always liked the fluff a lot and wouldn't play this game without it