No guild at gen con

4thstringer

In our community in Poland we had couple new players join us but none of them were intrested in playing Guild. We have overall 5 GU players in Poland that I heard off. Don't know if this is something you guys also see. I think it's because Guild is not very interesting faction to play (talking about boring mechanics without much flavor). Humans are less interesting from demons, undead and etc. 

1 hour ago, HomelessOne said:

Mimics and robots?

I'd say the Guild's all monsters (especially Nellie) myself, but...

That's true - , but only once you get to know them. Except Lucius who is a refined and proper gentleman who is in no way suspicious, merely a secretary faithfully serving the people of Malifaux. I mean he was even wearing a mask all this time to prevent the spread of infection. A true gentleman, always considering the people around him.

Just talking specifically about new players, maybe there might be something to the "human" faction element though, at least at first glance. I wonder if players who would be attracted to Guild are also likely to be also attracted to historical skirmish games like Saga or Bushido and we don't see as many taking up Malifaux. Or maybe people don't usually like playing the "police" faction - I'd guess we'd see a similar thing in Newcromunda. I'm not sure it is the mechanics, I think for a new player those are much harder to judge - though if they are not exciting as Fliox said, then we don't get existing players recommending Guild to new players.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, HomelessOne said:

You guys almost got stuck with my charming personality; when I was getting into the game I was really interested in three tough ladies basically being the face of the Guild. Unfortunately I then saw Seamus' crew and found it entirely too funny...

Yeah, that's one of the problem i think. Even if you found the trio of femine fatale hitting your spot, just after short time of searching you find more interesting theme to be swallowed in. I think if we could get a little more of those "inhuman abominations" would really do us a lot. Like, if we could field true Marshal keyword (meaining those unholy abominations of undead magic who all burn) it would be rad. 33 is a good choice in my opinion. Also being able to field beasts and big beaters like Sand Worm or Chompy Bits into our armies we could see much more new players comming in. Gamins & Golems are not off the table for Sonnia for example. New players are getting hooked on a faction just by looks of the models, so If we can't provide more then just humies and some robots we cannot compete with other factions for new player base (like NB, ES and RR who are popping like shrooms after rain).

To be fair when I first started playing Malifaux (after a taster game) I went into my local game store to decide which faction I was going to pick up.... and I saw the Purifying Flame as a skeleton on fire who is screaming at the world and decided that was what I wanted to play. I didn't know any of the rules for Sonnia, or any faction in general. And  picked up guild purely because of that guy.

If I was to be starting now, the choice may be different as there are like 20 new masters (with an entire faction) to look at as well. But honestly I would be choosing an explorer, probably the EVS as I like the look of them.

Now I know the rules I am happy with guild. It is the right level of complexity and decision making for me. And the entire faction as an "army" looks great. It was quite easy to paint them as a uniformed "police" and I think that is good for anyone who doesn't like painting so much.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Higgybeans said:

It was quite easy to paint them as a uniformed "police" and I think that is good for anyone who doesn't like painting so much.

This night be I've rain why other factions are popular. Guild gas a lot of human skin and faces to paint along with fabric which can be intimidating to new painters.

Monsters undead and robots in the other factions mean you can get away with more creative license. 

21 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

This night be I've rain why other factions are popular. Guild gas a lot of human skin and faces to paint along with fabric which can be intimidating to new painters.

Monsters undead and robots in the other factions mean you can get away with more creative license. 

Haha, IMO it is easier to paint human like as you KNOW what it is supposed to look like. Whereas it is easy to paint a monster with wild colours and it not looking great. Clothes, leather and skin is now incredibly easier with contrast paints from the GW range.

Regarding theme, it's probably little comfort to the Guild since he's dual faction but I've long adored Lucius. Both of his Keywords are neat and flavorful, though I don't like the sculpts for False Witnesses. Never actually played him and he's not repped in my meta, but the new Title feels like another targeted push from Wyrd to get me to pick him up despite the relative investment.

Best Lucius lore moment: Kitchener contemplating yanking his mask off and parading him around HQ, to show Lucius he's not as clever as he thinks he is.

• Like 1

Thought I'd do a quick count of posts about the new titles as a gauge of popularity (not scientific in any way . . .). Top is the sub-forum, then posts by master - some forums have a couple of threads for new masters and I wasn't particularly careful so might have missed something. 

Guild Arc NB
Dasel 13    
Nellie 8    
Sonia 76    
Dita 50    
Justice 48    
Hoffman 7 92  
Lucius 48   27
Basse 6ish    
Sandeep   22  
Raspy   34  
Colette   119  
kaeris   53  
Mei   27  
Marcus   37 66
Ironsides   31  
Ramos   0  
Euripides     25
Titania     13
Dora     32
Dreamer     62
Nekima     11
Zoraida     49

256 415 285
  • Thanks 1

I think about 90 of those Colette posts are arguing about how the rules work...

(Likewise Arcanists seem more bothered by the unbreakable cage of Hoffman than guild, may be because they had more marker creation already with Ice pillars)

Otherwise there seems to be a decent discussion about the guild (Models that were found by gencon shoppers will have much less, which explains Nellie and Dashel at the moment). Nekima is the surprising one, she was previewed a while ago, 

5 hours ago, Maladroit said:

Thought I'd do a quick count of posts about the new titles as a gauge of popularity (not scientific in any way . . .). Top is the sub-forum, then posts by master - some forums have a couple of threads for new masters and I wasn't particularly careful so might have missed something. 

Guild Arc NB
Dasel 13    
Nellie 8    
Sonia 76    
Dita 50    
Justice 48    
Hoffman 7 92  
Lucius 48   27
Basse 6ish    
Sandeep   22  
Raspy   34  
Colette   119  
kaeris   53  
Mei   27  
Marcus   37 66
Ironsides   31  
Ramos   0  
Euripides     25
Titania     13
Dora     32
Dreamer     62
Nekima     11
Zoraida     49

256 415 285

The problem is you get some particularly enthusiastic people doing quite a few posts on some particular threads.

Like the Hoffman thread for arcanists is probably like 20-30 posts from me 😜

• Haha 1

On 9/22/2021 at 5:42 AM, rb_man said:

I mean is it even fair to judge this being a event during a pandemic?

Seems like there is a lot of out side factors that could be at play here.

This. There was no Guild Player only because the Disease Containment Unit was not yet available.

Edited by Rufess
  • Haha 4

On 9/23/2021 at 11:53 PM, admiralvorkraft said:

Lucius was the character that sold me on the game in 2e. 

Was the same for me. First master (and may have been the only master I played through M2E - or about a year). I was going to like your post but then read . . . .

On 9/23/2021 at 11:53 PM, admiralvorkraft said:

His 3e incarnation doesn't ooze the same amount of character, but Nellie absolutely does, the sculpts for Elite and Marshal keywords are awesome.

How dare you mention Lucius in the same sentence as . . . her! But yes great sculpts, particularly the Marshal ones and new Justice looks amazing. I'm much more of an M2E sculpt fan for Lucius and the lawyers than M3E, to me his mask is far less elegant. I'm still crushed that we have not seen the pantomime cow models (undercover agents) yet.