Choosing a friendly starter master

vairse

I'm about to jump back into this game, and I'm hoping to really focus on a single master this time around, as last time I played I kept hopping around and never really learned a keyword. What makes it spicey, is I spend a lot of time in starter games teaching people how to play, and I kept running into keywords that aren't 100% optimal for a new player to run up against without knowing the game. I first tried Zoraida, but then had the feels bad of showing off a super cool model for a player to play, only to then use my opponents own new model against her via obeys. Pandora felt similarly oppressive for someone learning the game, so I switched to Sommer, where I was just too busy reading his cards, and tracking all of his bubbles, and summons, and triggers, to really teach.

So, coming back, I've been eyeing Explorers, and am hoping to find a master

1) I'm interested in

2) isn't super NPE to someone who is just starting out in M3E

3) can reasonably handle any of the current strats

I'm hoping DUA/Umbra, Seeker, or EVS cover the above criteria.

If it helps, the people I have interested are looking at:

Foundry

December

Chimera

Of the three I'd suggest looking into EVS. They're fairly straightforward models, not oppressive, and the keyword gimmick is enhancing the value of the low cards in your hand. Seeker has a lot of positioning requirements and out-of-activation ability management, while DUA/Umbra is awesome but can absolutely body new players.

• Agree 1

Thanks! Yeah, I was worried about Ivan, for the same reason I didn't list Cadmus, even though I love both of their themes, I don't think it'd be the best experience for a brand new player. I'm fine with complexity for me, especially if I'm going to stick with a crew for a while, as long as it's not too bad for the opponent. I was leaning for EVS as well, since it might be annoying with Jedza making stuff so hard to kill

• 2 weeks later...

I started out with EVS, and it's working really well so far. The models all work well, but  the core schticks of the crew don't feel super oppressive to my opponents so far, and I haven't had anything they couldn't handle yet. Beebe/Calypso are particularly fun so far

• Like 2