Wong, The Enchanter

HomelessOne

Siphon Power looks amazing in Wiz-Bang. Exactly one damage for fast, and glowy and he can do it 5 times an activation. Or it can even be used as a heal if they've already been hit. 

The 2" place on blasts is pretty nuts too. If you hit severe, you can potentially be tagging models 6" away behind cover. 

The damage on the Blasts could be hideous if an opponent lets Backup Assistant get in close with 2+ glowy tokens. 

If I'm reading it right Wong first Cursed Warnings with Siphon Power for a mask to hit to models. Then Wong could Siphon Power for ram then hit 2:blast/3:blast/5:blast:blastirreducible to target and if he hit severe (say with a focus attack off stat 6) the double blast is 5 damage to the cursed opponents if they are within :aura3 of the Backup Assistant. So a Bonus + :ranged12" attack to do 15+ damage spread across at least 3 targets.

The big question I see is what happens if you engage Wong the Enchanter??? 

The little magical goblin has no melee, and I don't see much in built retreat, it seems to be Enchant "Magics" with the :ram (so Siphon, Soul Stone, Cheat or just plain lucky flip) for the Puff of Smoke trigger cast on himself and moving him 4" - so Wong really needs a bodyguard nearby (within :aura4) to be secure against easy engage Wong neutralisation. 

Still, yeah, like it. Does this (or more importantly the Backup Assistant) do anything to improve OG-Wong???? Not sure.

5 minutes ago, dancater said:

Enchant "Magics" with the :ram (so Siphon, Soul Stone, Cheat or just plain lucky flip) for the Puff of Smoke trigger cast on himself and moving him 4" - so Wong really needs a bodyguard nearby (within :aura4)

Yeah this was my thinking. 

Wong is a friendly model in 4, so he can Siphon Power himself to teleport to safety. The 1 damage and maybe some more should be removed by the heal. 

Still he probably doesn't want to be engaged, even if he can teleport away. He's going to want to be spending his AP shooting and maybe focusing. 

I'm really not sure why I'd ever want to use the original Wong? This one seems just massively better and his own and with better synergies for the keyword, to boot. The original is, I think, better at giving out Glowy but that comes at a completely massive cost when you compare everything else about the two versions.

I wonder if this actually makes Wizz-bang mildly competitive.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

I wonder if this actually makes Wizz-bang mildly competitive

It looks like it too me. He can hang out with some Swinecursed and Alphonse and keep them in fast and glowy while doing his own thing. 

If he gets engaged he can teleport away or let the Swinecursed or Alphonse push him away. He doesn't have much problem keeping them in Glowy for protection and some Onslaught triggers. His medium damage is three, so you can always tag your own Blast Resistant dudes for glowy or small healing. 

Maybe give EWong twelve cups to help him focus stack. 

Taking another look at that Backup Assistant I hadn't realized just how crazy the card draw is. 

He doesn't just let you filter the cards Sammy gets off Petty Illusions, but Triggers Petty Illusions off other card draw. 

If a Bokor gets Deja Vu off, you discard a card draw two cards, discard one of the cards you drew then draw another card then. One trigger let you discard twice and draw four. 

Sammy's Drain Magic Trigger is pretty nice with it too. 

Yeah the Backup Assistant will not be long for the table once folks realise that (1) he's a card cycling machine (2) he can clear conditions in an emergency (3) he damages himself to power his card cycle (4) Df 4 Wp 4 and 5 Wds (5) you can replace him with a model in the crew you've already lost.

He will have a huge target on him, he is as fragile as hell and to be honest if he does make it to round 3+ he's almost certainly going to be replaced (if only to get a significant model to scheme). At 4SS he is superb value if you can just get him to that 3rd round. In most games he'll make his value even if he dies by end turn 1 with a couple of extra cards drawn and one more on his inevitable demise.

I can see a Bokor or other healer being camped near him, to see if they can stretch his lifespan out. His synergy with the Bokor is off the charts.

I'm wondering what other crews are going to want to grab him at 5. 

Him and a Bokor seem like a good investment in Kin since you already have Sammy in Keyword. He works well with Nuphelia's raiding operation which doesn't make Ophelia draw but the model discarding the upgrade, letting him stay pretty far back with Sammy and Rami. 

Swampfiends have Bokors in key word already so would probably be a good pick too. 

I might make room for him in Tri-chi too, to get back my expensive Whiskey Golem, except at 10, not even the red joker will hit the target number. 

23 minutes ago, dancater said:

He will have a huge target on him, he is as fragile as hell and to be honest if he does make it to round 3+ he's almost certainly going to be replaced (if only to get a significant model to scheme). At 4SS he is superb value if you can just get him to that 3rd round. In most games he'll make his value even if he dies by end turn 1 with a couple of extra cards drawn and one more on his inevitable demise.

I can see a Bokor or other healer being camped near him, to see if they can stretch his lifespan out. His synergy with the Bokor is off the charts.

to be honest, im not sure he is worth is stones, at all, cards or no, wong doesnt need many more, and he needs a ton of actions to get back to survivable state

13 hours ago, fire5tone said:

to be honest, im not sure he is worth is stones

He's 4 stones and will draw you 2-3 cards a turn until he dies and draws you another. That sounds like the sort of  investment most crews would love to have. 

It might die easily but I'd your opponent spends resources to kill it after you've drawn cards for a turn or two I think you're coming out ahead. 

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

He's 4 stones and will draw you 2-3 cards a turn until he dies and draws you another. That sounds like the sort of  investment most crews would love to have. 

It might die easily but I'd your opponent spends resources to kill it after you've drawn cards for a turn or two I think you're coming out ahead. 

He *cycles* 2 cards, and only when someone else draws them, not only does he need to pocket someone who can due to its range, but doing so twice leaves you in fairly easy one shot range, in order to actually use him more you have to spend far more resources healing him then they have to use to kill him

1 minute ago, fire5tone said:

and only when someone else draws them,

He lets you draw a card off Petty Illusions when he attacks a friendly to get glowy and fast. There are cheaper models without TN that can do that, but they're even more fragile and often have detrimental triggers you have to declare. His ability also triggers Petty Illusions. 

Yes you'll need to heal him to keep using his abilities. But that applies to every model in a Wong list and gremlins in general. Wounds are a resource and this guy does a really good job of letting you exchange wounds for card draw and cycling in a crew with access to the best healers in the game. 

1 hour ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Can you use Siphon Power when Declaring an Action that doesn't include a duel? For example, can you Siphon just for the ping damage when Declaring a Walk?

I don't see why not. The condition of Siphon Power is "After this model declares an Action" but not "Before this model preforms a duel". This is also the trick I am using with Surveyors in Seeker crew such that I can heal them later on.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Bloomsen said:

What minis would you include?

Ideally you want to get the whole key word and then some versatile stuff. 

I think my first picks, after the core box would be Bokors and Swinecursed. You need minions to take other than Lighting Bugs, who are generally considered quite bad. 

On 11/7/2021 at 4:31 AM, Bloomsen said:

I am pretty new to malifaux, played some games with misaki and looking to get a wong enchanter crew.

What minis would you include?

In Order?

core Box

wong2 and Assitant Box

Swine cursed

Pult

sammy Lacroix 

taxidermist bok

bokur Box

thats a good start. OOK hires are Gracie, Emmy, for versatile and there’s some other jank that we can get into later. 

I don't have much experience in Wong, but I think Fluffernutter is an important part of the Glowy engine. Bo Peep is also a nice add-on in the keyword to help unpacking, healing and building up Glowy as well.

I would put the Starter box near Sammy in the priority list, and it goes up if you want to dig into another Bayou keywords.

• 8 months later...

How would a first turn with wong2 look like to get his engines going? Besides scheming, positioning and whatnot.
Especially for beginners, owning core, wong2 and swinecursed box - are there any options for friendly firing besides blast?

EDIT: Reading the whole card helps! So I'd siphon Power twice on Alphone/Swincursed1, once on Swinecursed2. Then my target that was hit twice gets the healing from Words of Wisdom basically reverting the damage I did on him?

How does Wise Words of Wisdom work exactly?
It's a trigger that's caused by a model gaining fast again, each model can receive healing only once a turn. It sounds pretty strong to me giving "+2 healing pulses" every turn. At the cost of cancelling the glowy token I get.