Captain Zipp, Dread Pirate

HomelessOne

1 hour ago, HomelessOne said:

If Wong didn't exist this would probably be the funniest Title.

I don't get the Wong title.

Also, Wong doesn't have the awesome of an ability called Monologue.

Also also, CANNONS!

Also also also, that Cutlass has great potential, any time you can make a defender flip at negatives (even if it's conditional, and even if it's OPA) on a 2/4/5 damage track that gives essentially Serene Countenance (everyone but the target gets :-flipand the target has Distracted, so they're at a :-flip), and with Walk the Plank can continue that.

Also also also ALSO, he's no longer Insignificant. He's a little slower (6 vs 8 ) but he opens up things a little more for scheming.

And given the Earl backpack, and the speed of the crew, and wanting to be in melee, the 4 cards drawn @Thatguy mentioned seems like it's going to be more likely than not. Requires a lot of things to go right, and if it doesn't, it can all go to crap, but that's Zipp's jam.

Always loved Zipp. Rocketeer Zipp, Roberts Zipp, both are awesome.

I may be biased, but I am not sold on Pirate Zipp. His distracted shenanigans imo cannot compete with origin Zipp's pianos and moving enemies around in the aspect of controlling. Pirate Zipp does get some supporting capabilities in form of pushing and card drawing though.

Beau seems more decent to me. I always struggle to play Bokor in Infamous crew since they lack of ping damage to give him fast and glowy. So Beau can be an alternative healer at same cost with some extra movement tricks. Danger Up Ahead can bring another layer of board control to the crew as well.

Looking at nuZipp:

The good:

Significant card draw in a crew that mostly card cycles.

Can give the entire crew access to irresistible Distracted

Can scheme now.

Captain's Challenge

The bad:

Slower

Full Speed Ahead is stat 5. Meaning movement shenanigans are now basically friendly only.

The ugly:

No pianos, meaning removing the small amount of piano synergy the crew had.

A distraction based Master, when The First Mate is the only other model in keyword that can give Distracted without Zipp's help.

I want to get him on the table to see what he's like. But looking at the card he looks like he's going to follow the same formula every turn. Three of his big abilities, Fire the Cannons and Captain's Challenge, and the negative twist to DF resist on Cutthroat Cutlass are all once a turn, and require set up. 

So I'm his turn he wants to: 

Draw cards with Booty and Plunder, throw away one of those cards to give something Distracted.

Hit something with his sword(maybe interact off it)

Fire Cannons

Spend last AP

I wonder when you would pick this version? Is there a strat or Scheme Pool or opposing Faction or Master selection that would make you choose this one instead of the original?

I mean, I can see myself using this and I think that the versions are roughly similar in power level but the original does offer some very unique things that makes him very good into certain situations and I'm not sure I'm seeing the same here. So it's more of a if X or Y, then take the original and if Z, then take either one.

2 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

I wonder when you would pick this version? Is there a strat or Scheme Pool or opposing Faction or Master selection that would make you choose this one instead of the original?

I mean, I can see myself using this and I think that the versions are roughly similar in power level but the original does offer some very unique things that makes him very good into certain situations and I'm not sure I'm seeing the same here. So it's more of a if X or Y, then take the original and if Z, then take either one.

I suspect that could be a scenario faced by several highly versatile masters? It's not a bad place to be really and from a casual play perspective, this Zip will be as fun as the first.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

I'm thinking map will matter most then match up, with you playing them both in most of the same schemes. 

If the map doesn't have good piano choke points, you probably play Dread Zipp. Or if the opponent is a crew with a lot of flying or Incorporeal. 

The new Zipp might be better against more elite beater crews too. Irresistible Distracted can put a big cramp in thier offensive capabilities. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I'm thinking map will matter most then match up, with you playing them both in most of the same schemes. 

If the map doesn't have good piano choke points, you probably play Dread Zipp. Or if the opponent is a crew with a lot of flying or Incorporeal. 

The new Zipp might be better against more elite beater crews too. Irresistible Distracted can put a big cramp in thier offensive capabilities. 

Yeah, good point. The new titles also got a ton of random Marker hate so Pianos might actually be way worse now.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone had a chance to play with me Zipp yet?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around him. He seems like he has a lot of 1 per turn things to keep track of.  That and it seems like he wants to activate early, but his card draw looks like something you'd want mid to late turn to refill your hand.

He and Somer both seem like a really bizarre design choice. Like Somer got a scheme marker title, though his crew doesn't do anything with schemes. Zipp now seems to be Distraction focused, when his crew doesn't do much with distracted. First Mate's Menacing Croak and Distracted counting as another condition for Mancha's Finisher trigger are the only things I can think of.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished a game with Zipp2 against Zoraida. 

He is very survivable. Arguably more so than with his original title. Between the defensive trigger and Captain's Challenge, most enemies will be on a negative to hit you. Add that to a very good card draw, and you'll find there's no problem having the tomes you need for the defensive trigger.

Booty and plunder was much easier to get off successfully every turn than I imagined, and usually with 2-3 cards drawn.

I found he wants to be pretty close to the action, especially where all the heavy hitters are. Both to pass out distracted to enemy beaters, but maybe more so to move your own valuable models into position with Full Speed Ahead. Not requiring LoS and ignoring models and terrain while moving, can make for some very nasty surprises. I was unfortunately facing Zoraida, though, so she just undid my movement shenanigans by obeying my models back to where they came from.

As for offensive capabilities, I didn't find him very strong, but that might just be my playstyle. I used the cutlass quite a bit, but only used the Shockwave attack once, to no great effect.

He's great at setting up (for example) Mancha in a good position and preparing your hand with great cards, so Mancha can beat face.

I forgot about the Captain of the Infamy ability for free interacts all game, though, so will definitely need to get some more reps in.

All in all, pleasantly surprised compared to when just reading the card. I'll definitely play him again in the near future. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Jafar said:

Can someone explain drawing 4 cards per turn with new zipp?

I see it turn 1 to drop some scheme marker and not move my models. But what about next turns? Am I missing something? Thank you for explanation. 

Full Speed Ahead should allow you to move the target within 2" of another model if you need it (or bring another model in). Zipp plus Earl then makes 3 models in the pulse for Booty, getting you three cards. Captain of Infamy can help get you the Scheme Marker if you need it. And Showboating gets you the 4th.

It's not automatic  requires some set-up, but it should not be a difficult thing to accomplish.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone seen the complete art / figure for this version of Zipp?

He seems to hang off a rope, that I'd imagen is tied to his famous airship. But does this mean he is literally just hanging on to a small rope in the actual model?

If so, is this the only model that isn't actually "completely represented"? I get that they couldn't fit the whole airship on a 30mm model, but still feels like an odd choice to me.

25 minutes ago, aquenaton said:

I think the ship is supposed to be hidden by clouds, really above all. The same way the Burning Man is not present in the table but he can reach from it's position.

Yeah, I think you're right on that. But I'm worried that the model will just have a rope sticking into the air. Would look a bit silly to me. 

But I guess you can greenstuff something that'll make it look more natural.

6 minutes ago, aquenaton said:

it makes sense. Wasn't Winston Finnegan in a similar situation?

I think the sculpt for Winston is entirely self contained. 

A few of the hanged sculpts have cut off rope from what I remember, but its entirely believable that the rope just ends there.  I don't know what the final sculpt looks like, so its hard to comment, or think of ideas to solve its look. 

2 hours ago, Adran said:

I think the sculpt for Winston is entirely self contained. 

A few of the hanged sculpts have cut off rope from what I remember, but its entirely believable that the rope just ends there.  I don't know what the final sculpt looks like, so its hard to comment, or think of ideas to solve its look. 

If it's a vertical rope ending in nothing, I'm absolutely going to have mine made with a greenstuffed party balloon (with happy birthday printed on it) in the shape of a zepplin.

Because I absolutely believe Zipp would carry a proxy so he can always keep living out his swashbuckling fantasies.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...