Leveticus, Pariah of Blood

HomelessOne

1 hour ago, Jordon said:

I feel like Mech is more appealing in more of a mixed amalgam horsemen list

Yeah. I definitely agree. She becomes more attractive the fewer Horsemen you have. 

1 hour ago, Jordon said:

Giving a rider the ability to use their ultimate one turn earlier is pretty big.

I think I would be more into it if Levi wasn't already able to let the riders use their ultimate two turns earlier. 

It takes three suits to get off so she can get Innovation turn 2 at the earliest. Which is also the earliest Levi can let a Horsemen take thier ultimate. 

I do really like the idea of getting a couple of corpses and killing your waifs in other to get a Zombie Horde turn 2 though.

Question regarding Levi's Fate's Messenger

It says that this model may add a different suit to its duel total.

Does that mean that if I flip a tome, I couldn't then use two fate tokens to add an additional tome? Or does it mean that I can't use four fate tokens to add two tomes (every two fate tokens must be used on different suits)?

If that is the case then it seems difficult to actually get multiple suits for the same trigger. Mech Rider and Soulstones being the only ways I can think of.

8 minutes ago, PiersonsMuppeteer said:

The different suit isn't limited to the context of only the ability, and the flip does have an associated suit when discarding the fate tokens. Fate's Master strikes me as a method to fuel the declaring of multiple triggers on Malice, and not a method to stack suits for one specific trigger.

That is how I read it as well.

It's just odd that most triggers have benefits for having multiple of the same suit. So the only real way of getting two of the same suit is through Soul Stones or Mech Rider.

Edit: I guess that is pretty much the case for most masters though. It also does give Mech Rider a bit more relevance in a horseman list.

• Like 1

I just realized how bad stunned is for Levi. It's usually very bad on any master but almost all of the power of Levi2 is locked away in triggers. It's great that he himself has some condition removal to protect the riders (who also get completely shut down by stunned). However he has no means to protect himself and his hiring options are quite limited.

Malifaux child cannot copy dispel magic since its an attack action so he's out. Johan, I think, is the only way to get condition removal for Levi?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LexLock said:

you'll probably want to be hanging back building tokens anyway.

Yeah. I think you're movie with not to have to rush forward to score most things. 

15 hours ago, Jordon said:

Just love the mental image on some dude pushing Levi, the harbinger of the apocalypse, off his horse into the mud... "Your welcome"

"You looked distracted. I'm helping you focus"

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to get my first game in with Levi2 and I figured I'd share my first impressions. 

I was mostly impressed with how the list performed. I went with all 4 riders and Levi with SoDP +4 stones. We played reckoning, which I feel like is a good strategy to play using the riders. 

Levi himself is great. I found myself playing support on the early turns. Bolstering fate tokens, focusing, and charging up the other riders. Starting on turn two, I committed him, mostly as a distraction and to protect my real threat (the riders). Fate tokens mostly went to summoning, card draw and healing. With H2W and SoDP, he's able to tank quite a bit of damage and hold up quite a bit of the enemy crew with his summons. He didn't survive the whole game, but I was okay with that given how it allowed the other riders to build up for a fatal counter attack. So I found that the riders really rely on Levi early game, but Levi really relies on the riders late game. It's a nice synergy 

I was also surprised with how useful Mech Rider was. I had initially wrote her off as being dead weight in the list, but that didn't seem to be the case at all. She's quite capable of running most scheme's all on her own late game. Early game, I got a lot of use from her as she was able to feed Levi fate tokens (the other riders free action is more situational or requires enemies). Levi can also use her to feed other riders fate tokens as Mech doesn't really need them as badly. Her ability to give suits should also not be undersold. Once you commit with Levi and one other rider, those suits go a really long way in helping Dead Rider or Hooded Rider tank twice as much damage without dipping into their fate tokens. 

My only disappointment I'll say is with the Waifs. I do think you can get use from them, but they do seem to lack any real purpose. You really only have three options with them. You can Ride With Me to shoot them up the board and act as a speed bump and minor annoyance. You can keep them close to Levi, who can turn them into cards and fate tokens. Or you can keep them around to finish off nearly dead models or expunge injured into damage (you can build lots of injured in this list). Personally, I'd burn them early on for cards and tokens, which also has the benefit keeping your model count down (pass tokens can be a big deal) 

I really like SoDP, I'm considering it on Dead and Hooded rider instead of Levi. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2021 at 9:06 PM, RisingPhoenix said:

Instead of four horsemen, is 3+Alyce worth?  I really like the idea of using Ride With Me and Rusty Alyce, and Mechanical Rider giving Alyce free crow triggers on all her duels seems mean.  You'd probably drop pale rider for her. 

Certainly not a bad idea. The crows would help dead rider and Levi as well. Dead rider might work Pit Traps as well. 

Another good option is Hans. You can add a ram with Mech and add another using his own free action for a min damage 4 sniper. Mech can also reactivate him, which if I'm understanding it correctly, he can reference the field guide again to stack another ram himself since its until the end phase. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I played a tournament this weekend and ran Levi2 almost exclusively. Had a blast and learned a ton but one thing that still perplexes me is the Soul Battery. 

The main issue I see is the unfavourable comparison to the effigy, who just does everything this thing does but better. Both can be cheap scheme runners, but the effigy is far tougher thanks to the armour.

The Battery can do a no-flip heal, but the timing and positioning makes it extremely difficult to get much use out of. Whereas the effigy can do a single target heal with accomplice for some actual significant healing. 

The Battery can kill itself for 2 stones which honestly is a great ability. The problem is that you'll still want to get some use from it before using this ability and everything it does requires it to be in the danger zone and it's defences mean it can blown away without much effort (especially things that target Wp). Again compare that to the effigy who can stick back and feed you stones for killing things (which is an easy thing to do in both version of Levi) and still contribute meaningful heals all the while. 

Desperation is a joke. It can get a bit more milage in Levi1 admittedly. However this is a terrible trade for a rider. It's just a crappy version bayou two card. Riders have precious few wounds and burning one for a CHANCE to flip better just doesn't make sense. 

So really it boils down to Empower and Energy Drain.

Empower can be a cool ability but it's very niche and not likely to come up often. I'm not sure about others, but my stones are usually spent on drawing extra cards and damage prevention - neither of which benefit from empower. 

Energy Drain is great in theory. Giving out fate tokens cannot be undersold. However it also paints a huge target on the Battery and the short range means he's always in harms way. The big issue however is that this ability is completely useless for Levi1. 

All this to say that I think the Soul Battery is unfocused and a bit all of the board. Maybe he's better with Lynch, I cannot speak to that. Desperation seems okay for Levi1 and bad for Levi2. Energy drain is good for Levi2 and useless for Levi1. The heal and soul stone generation are just done better via the effigy. The model just seems confused as to what's it's role is and seems like a mishmash of random things. 

Yeah, I 100% agree. Easily the worst of the cross-Keyword models we received in Malifaux Burns. Which is a shame because I do like the concept. Empower in particular is a rule I just really like the vibe of, having a model that could lean more into the idea of a battery you use up to power yourself is frankly very cool. I'd have liked to see it have an aura within which a Soulstone user can deal 2 Irreducible damage to the Battery to gain the benefit of having spent a Soulstone, or something to that effect. The version we got is trying to do a bunch of little benefits on a fragile chassis that don't really coalesce into anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Azahul said:

'd have liked to see it have an aura within which a Soulstone user can deal 2 Irreducible damage to the Battery to gain the benefit of having spent a Soulstone, or something to that effect. The version we got is trying to do a bunch of little benefits on a fragile chassis that don't really coalesce into anything.

Or even allowing it to suffer 1 irreducible damage to add a suit to your duel. 

I would have rather it do one thing that all crews benefit from instead of trying to hook into several different mechanics. I'm sure brilliance tokens are useful, and I know fate tokens are great but it's only good for that one specific crew. Which makes it a dead ability in other crews.