Neverborn Starter Box Speculation

Maladroit

Might just have got the NB started box models revealed in Malifaux burns:

Klaus Norwood (Henchman) - Versatile, Grim, Mimic

Hildegaard (Enforcer) - Versatile, Grim

Red Cap (Minion(2)) -  Wersatile, Grim, Puppet.

4 New versatile models not connected to an existing Keyword fits the pattern for a starter. As a Lucius player it is nice to see Klaus and new puppets are also a nice addition.

Not sure it is cool to post images of the cards, but I guess they'll be officially revealed in time.

Edited by Maladroit
Edited for spelling

• Maladroit changed the title to Neverborn Starter Box Speculation

Love the artwork on them!

One thing I'm a bit worried about is that you seem to be incentivized to take them as a package, Dark Tale boosts them quite a bit, especially the damage on the Red Caps, they seem to get much stronger moving as a small group. But that's a 25 point package, might be tough to fit in to many crews.

As standalone pieces, Hildegard brings a bit of movement shenanigans, Red Caps remove enemy schemes and can sometimes put out some hurt.  Klaus seems a bit more interesting, some good discard, some conditions to hand out and some situationally powerful stuff.

24 minutes ago, Mindbadger said:

Love the artwork on them!

One thing I'm a bit worried about is that you seem to be incentivized to take them as a package, Dark Tale boosts them quite a bit, especially the damage on the Red Caps, they seem to get much stronger moving as a small group. But that's a 25 point package, might be tough to fit in to many crews.

As standalone pieces, Hildegard brings a bit of movement shenanigans, Red Caps remove enemy schemes and can sometimes put out some hurt.  Klaus seems a bit more interesting, some good discard, some conditions to hand out and some situationally powerful stuff.

If I'm reading it right, he is one of the only models that doesn't care about getting parasite tokens . . . infiltrator turns off Parasitic grasp. 

2 minutes ago, Maladroit said:

If I'm reading it right, he is one of the only models that doesn't care about getting parasite tokens . . . infiltrator turns off Parasitic grasp. 

You're right Parasitic grasp doesn't work because of Infiltrator. I was going to talk about One with Many, but checking it looks like everything they do with parasites is on enemy models as well, except the Will of the many action, where they can ignore Klaus' engagement still. 

35 minutes ago, Mindbadger said:

There is a degree that Outcast and Bayou starter sets expect you to consider them as a package (at least a little) so I think its probably going to be the case with most starter sets that the models within the set have internal synergy that means you probably consider hiring several of the set. 

20 minutes ago, Adran said:

There is a degree that Outcast and Bayou starter sets expect you to consider them as a package (at least a little) so I think its probably going to be the case with most starter sets that the models within the set have internal synergy that means you probably consider hiring several of the set. 

Fair enough, I just liked how the Explorer's Guild starter box was set up, with models you could slot in anywhere and still get use. I'm not sure which Neverborn master would replace most of their crew with Grim models, as cool as they are. Maybe Zoraida, and lean into the puppet theme?

1 hour ago, Mindbadger said:

Fair enough, I just liked how the Explorer's Guild starter box was set up, with models you could slot in anywhere and still get use. I'm not sure which Neverborn master would replace most of their crew with Grim models, as cool as they are. Maybe Zoraida, and lean into the puppet theme?

Lots of WP resisted attacks, and summonable Puppets so maybe Dreamer? I don't play dreamer - I don't think it's better but might be usable.

Almost tempted to run them in a puppet focused, Hinamatsu led crew! Hinamatsu bringing the free effigy, Widow Weaver, Vasilisa, a couple of Wicked Dolls and the Grim crew! Could churn out a fair amount of puppets, lots of armour and Hinamatsu and an eventual Emissary as beaters. No clue if it would be good, but seems like a fun idea.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Klaus us an awesome tech piece! Infiltrator is dope and he's bringing a nice support package. Hildegard seems more niche, but they do operate well together... This seems like a fine 15ss distruptioni  package.

I'm not sure about Red Cape... They would make great puppets summons... But most of the time you'll want a stitch. Still they can hit quite hard with the guaranteed ram.

Mama Z migh want to invest 23ss for Klauss + Hildegard + WW...

1 hour ago, SEV said:

I'm not sure about Red Cape... They would make great puppets summons... But most of the time you'll want a stitch. Still they can hit quite hard with the guaranteed ram.

Mama Z migh want to invest 23ss for Klauss + Hildegard + WW...

On a side note, I'm gutted that they aren't 4ss cost with slightly worse stats. They would have been another option for new Zoraida to summon which would have made it much more appealing to hire Klaus and Hildegard in Swampfiends.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Mindbadger said:

With Outcasts while there keyword synergy with the models, Yannick and the Brawler also slot into a lot of crews by themselves.

I think it's good if starter boxes work as a minicrew for new players. You can buy it and a core box and probably have a reasonable crew for many pools. Excellent way to grow into the game

On 9/17/2021 at 5:41 AM, Mindbadger said:

I'm not sure which Neverborn master would replace most of their crew with Grim models, as cool as they are. Maybe Zoraida, and lean into the puppet theme?

I agree. They seem like a cool mini crew for stuff like Henchman Hardcore. But unlike the Outcast or ES starter I don't see the models slotting into other crews well.