please help me

Hipper Hopper Table Toper

Question

A friend and I played some more rounds and had some more discussions about the rules and how we think they are meant.

There where a couple of unclear points.

I hope you can help me, so that I can keep my dear friend and not gonna lose him due to a dispute over rules of a great game. (Kidding)

Here are the points.

1. Damage Flips

Is there actually a limit on how much :-flip or :+flip someone can get to a flip?

2. Disengage Action

The :melee action is solved by an duell and does no damage but decrease the (MV) of the the fleeing model, if successful? Right? (pg. 22)

3. Cover

A model only gets cover if it is in the shadow and one LoS is going through the object the shadow belongs to? (pg. 19)

Correct? Are there other ways to get cover?

4. Soulstones

Can I spend more than 1 Soulstone per duell or damage flip to get more :-flip or :+flip? (enhance a Duel, Block Damage pg. 27)

5. Movement

Does a model need to climb down as well?

Example:

Charles Hoffman stands in front of a small fence which has a height of 1”.

He wants to walk up and needs to climb over the fence.

Does he only need 1” for the fence, because he only needs to climb up and jump down on the other side or does he need 2” because he has to climb down?

I would say 2". Right?

6. Hoffman crew/ Hunter

Power Converter ability:

It says: Before performing a duel, this model may discard a Power Token to ....

Can I use more than 1 Power token per Duel?

Hope you can Help me and safe a Friendship. ^^

cheers

11 answers to this question

1) 4 cards max for any flip.

2) Correct

3) Correct. Model’s abilities can also grant cover.

4) Only one soulstone per flip/damage instance.

5) He would need ~3”; 1” to climb up, 1” to move the back of his base to the other side of the fence, and 1” to climb down.

6) Ability only specifies “a power token”, singular, so only one per flip. Most abilities that allow more than one usually specify “up to X amount” and cumulatively add the separate uses of “X”.

• Thanks 1

Just want to add to this that you don't have to climb down terrain, you can choose to fall and take falling damage in order to save movement. The calculation for falling damage is the HT you fell (in Inches) / 2 and rounded down (which is unique because in general Malifaux rounds up)

Therefore, when climbing over a HT 2 fence, your model has three options
1. Climb up and Climb down, which would cost 4" of movement
2. Climb up and fall down, which would cost 2" of movement but you would suffer 1 damage
3. Climb up and climb 1" down, before falling an inch, which would cost 3" of movement but you would take no damage (because 1/2 = 0.5, which is rounded down to 0)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hipper Hopper Table Toper said:

A friend and I played some more rounds and had some more discussions about the rules and how we think they are meant.

There where a couple of unclear points.

I hope you can help me, so that I can keep my dear friend and not gonna lose him due to a dispute over rules of a great game. (Kidding)

Here are the points.

1. Damage Flips

Is there actually a limit on how much :-flip or :+flip someone can get to a flip?

There's no limit to the number of :+flipand :-flipthat can apply to a flip, but there's a point where it stops mattering:

You may never reveal more than four cards as the result of Fate Modifiers. Any additional cards that would result from Fate Modifiers are not flipped.

which means that if the net result is more than three positive or negative, it's the same as three.

2. Disengage Action

The :melee action is solved by an duell and does no damage but decrease the (MV) of the the fleeing model, if successful? Right? (pg. 22)

Normally, yes.  There are models with Wicked, who can choose to just resolve their attack's normal effects ("this model may resolve..." so it's a choice) instead of reducing the push distance.

3. Cover

A model only gets cover if it is in the shadow and one LoS is going through the object the shadow belongs to? (pg. 19)

Correct? Are there other ways to get cover?

There are various abilities and effects that can just grant cover.  The first one that I can locate in the cards is Favorable Terrain on Cornelius Basse ("... While this model is in Severe Terrain or within 1" of Impassable Terrain, it has Cover.")

4. Soulstones

Can I spend more than 1 Soulstone per duell or damage flip to get more :-flip or :+flip? (enhance a Duel, Block Damage pg. 27)

No, you can't spend more than one soul stone on the 'Enhance a Duel' option, or the 'Block Damage' option, or the 'Reduce Damage' options.  During the resolution of an action you can spend a soul stone for each of those options.  It wouldn't be unheard of for the defender to spend a soul stone for a positive flip on resist (increasing the odds that the damage flip agains them will have a negative fate modifier), spend a soul stone to block damage (to add a negative fate modifier to the damage flip), and then to spend a soul stone to reduce the damage--if the defender has the resources and the need to keep a position.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Mycellanious said:

Just want to add to this that you don't have to climb down terrain, you can choose to fall and take falling damage in order to save movement. The calculation for falling damage is the HT you fell (in Inches) / 2 and rounded down (which is unique because in general Malifaux rounds up)

Therefore, when climbing over a HT 2 fence, your model has three options
2. Climb up and fall down, which would cost 2" of movement but you would suffer 1 damage
3. Climb up and climb 1" down, before falling an inch, which would cost 3" of movement but you would take no damage (because 1/2 = 0.5, which is rounded down to 0)

You only can fall after ending the Walk. So you would take 1 damage to move over the fence and no farther. Useful if you only have 2” of movement left, but better to keep moving most times.

• Thanks 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, PiersonsMuppeteer said:

You only can fall after ending the Walk. So you would take 1 damage to move over the fence and no farther. Useful if you only have 2” of movement left, but better to keep moving most times.

I don't see why. You won't fall while in base contact with the terrain, so you can stay in base contact with it for 1", then break base contact by moving horizontal and then fall mid walk. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, PiersonsMuppeteer said:

There are two clauses that trigger falling.  The first applies at any time during the movement:

If a model is ever without any of its base supported by terrain or the table, that model falls and suffers falling damage equal to half the distance it fell in inches (rounded down). It then continues any remaining portion of its movement as normal.

and the second (at the end of the next paragraph) applies at the end:

If the model’s base is not supported by terrain or the table at the end of this movement, it falls as normal.

In the falling example (to the right of those two paragraphs in the rulebook), the authors probably should have made a point that Pandora could have kept moving Rasputina after the fall was resolved if there was still movement left.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Mycellanious said:

You also need to move forward (assuming that you are crossing the wall) by the width of the wall + the width of your model's base. So starting with the "front" of the base in contact with the wall and ending with the "back" of the base in contact with the opposite side of the wall. You don't get the forward displacement for free. So more likely, climb 2", forward 2(ish depending on wall width and base size)" then add movement to climb down or fall down.

• Thanks 1

Ok. Thanks for the answers.

But one more question regarding the soulstones. Just to be sure.

PiersonsMupeteer said: "Only one soulstone per flip/damage instance."

And Solkan said: "No, you can't spend more than one soul stone on the 'Enhance a Duel' option, or the 'Block Damage' option, or the 'Reduce Damage' options.  During the resolution of an action you can spend a soul stone for each of those options."

So I could use up to three soulstones in total if an enemy is attacking me.

One for "enhance a duel", a second for "block damage" if the the enemy won the duel and a third for "reduce damage", right?

@solkan You said: " It wouldn't be unheard of for the defender to spend a soul stone for a positive flip on resist (increasing the odds that the damage flip agains them will have a negative fate modifier), spend a soul stone to block damage (to add a negative fate modifier to the damage flip), and then to spend a soul stone to reduce the damage--if the defender has the resources and the need to keep a position. "

I misphrased the Question. I know that. 🙃

anyway, thanks for the help guys.

This is the sort of game where if you ask me "How many soul stones can I spend?" the answer is really "How many rules do you got?"

It's all a matter of what you're spending the soul stone for.  Each of the soul stone spending rules has a limit of one soul stone for that rule, but spending a soul stone on rule A doesn't interfere with also spending a soul stone on rule B.  (Other than running out, of course... :)  )

So the attacker only really has one rule that's useful, and can only spend one soul stone on that rule.  The defender can benefit from three of the rules, and can spend a soul stone on any or all of them.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hipper Hopper Table Toper said:

Ok. Thanks for the answers.

But one more question regarding the soulstones. Just to be sure.

PiersonsMupeteer said: "Only one soulstone per flip/damage instance."

And Solkan said: "No, you can't spend more than one soul stone on the 'Enhance a Duel' option, or the 'Block Damage' option, or the 'Reduce Damage' options.  During the resolution of an action you can spend a soul stone for each of those options."

So I could use up to three soulstones in total if an enemy is attacking me.

One for "enhance a duel", a second for "block damage" if the the enemy won the duel and a third for "reduce damage", right?

@solkan You said: " It wouldn't be unheard of for the defender to spend a soul stone for a positive flip on resist (increasing the odds that the damage flip agains them will have a negative fate modifier), spend a soul stone to block damage (to add a negative fate modifier to the damage flip), and then to spend a soul stone to reduce the damage--if the defender has the resources and the need to keep a position. "

I misphrased the Question. I know that. 🙃

anyway, thanks for the help guys.

Yes, each of the options are a maximum of one soulstone at each time, So you can only spend 1 soulstone on Enhance duel for that duel but it is possible to enhance the duel, block damage and reduce damage on the same duel as those are 3 different options for a total spend of upto 3 soulstone

• Thanks 1