Rule changes I'd like to see in GG3.

Maniacal_cackle

8 hours ago, PiersonsMuppeteer said:

Removing "through" wouldn't fix the rule Hazardous rules. If you cut out resolving an ability it reads like so: "when a model moves through ... Hazardous Terrain". Removing through would make it: "when a model moves ... Hazardous Terrain". I think changing it to "when a model moves through, ends a move in base contact with, or resolves an Action while in base contact with or while in Hazardous Terrain." would fix the issue you specify.

The passage would read:

After a model moves through or resolves one of its Actions while in base contact with or while in Hazardous Terrain, it suffers the effects of the Hazardous Terrain after the current Action or Ability is resolved (to a maximum of once per Action or Ability)

So it would be "After a model moves.... while in base contact with or while in hazardous terrain"

So it works if you remove that word I think.

38 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Ah... Gotcha. There aren't very many Hazardous, Impassible are there?  So not a huge problem, more like an annoyance. 

ES added them to the game, so the rules didn't quite work for them. So they tried to errata it but forgot to delete a word IMO. And now people also play impassable hazardous with objects on the table, so it can happen for any crew.

52 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

The passage would read:

After a model moves through or resolves one of its Actions while in base contact with or while in Hazardous Terrain, it suffers the effects of the Hazardous Terrain after the current Action or Ability is resolved (to a maximum of once per Action or Ability)

So it would be "After a model moves.... while in base contact with or while in hazardous terrain"

So it works if you remove that word I think.

ES added them to the game, so the rules didn't quite work for them. So they tried to errata it but forgot to delete a word IMO. And now people also play impassable hazardous with objects on the table, so it can happen for any crew.

Looks wonky with multiple “or” chaining together multiple clauses. You are essentially trying to say “After a model moves while in base contact with or moves while in or resolves an action while in base contact with or resolves an action while in Hazardous”, right? Makes more sense than I originally thought, but I think something cleaner would be better since you only need one mis-interpreted “or” by one player to cause a conflict.

3 minutes ago, PiersonsMuppeteer said:

Looks wonky with multiple “or” chaining together multiple clauses. You are essentially trying to say “After a model moves while in base contact with or moves while in or resolves an action while in base contact with or resolves an action while in Hazardous”, right? Makes more sense than I originally thought, but I think something cleaner would be better since you only need one mis-interpreted “or” by one player to cause a conflict.

Sure, I wouldn't mind if they just turned it into a bullet point list for example. I just want the rules effect to be changed to be consistent so that impassable hazardous works like it is intended.

• Agree 1

I wouldn't mind if the falling damage rules were replaced by 

that model falls and suffers falling damage equal to half the amount the distance it fell in inches exceeds its size (rounded up).

or

that model falls and could suffer falling damage.  If the distance Allen exceeds the size of the model, it suffers damage equal to [half of?] the amount the distance exceeds its size [(rounded up)].

depending on how severe falling should be.

But, either way, it would accomplish the goals of:

1.  People would just shut up about the "move down a fraction of an inch, then fall down to avoid any damage at all" mechanic.  😬

2.  The damage avoidance feels more like the model is hanging on to the ledge and letting itself down.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, solkan said:

I wouldn't mind if the falling damage rules were replaced by 

or

depending on how severe falling should be.

But, either way, it would accomplish the goals of:

1.  People would just shut up about the "move down a fraction of an inch, then fall down to avoid any damage at all" mechanic.  😬

2.  The damage avoidance feels more like the model is hanging on to the ledge and letting itself down.

I agree with clearing up the first point. I’d like for something like the second option you posed, but with less math… maybe 1 dmg and Injured+X equal to Sz. I’d like the phrase “the bigger they are, the harder they fall” to have some appearance in the fall rules, but pure damage doesn’t seem right for that.

I'd like to see attacker and defender evened up a bit.

Deployment zones are chosen at almost the end of the process.

This means that attacker can build their list to one deployment zone, but defender has to build their list to four deployment zones.

Of course in casual play we all just ignore the deployment rules and decide zones at the start anyway, but in competitive play it makes a big difference to actually follow the rules.

This would of course affect phrasing of strategies, etc.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I'd like to see attacker and defender evened up a bit.

Deployment zones are chosen at almost the end of the process.

This means that attacker can build their list to one deployment zone, but defender has to build their list to four deployment zones.

Of course in casual play we all just ignore the deployment rules and decide zones at the start anyway, but in competitive play it makes a big difference to actually follow the rules.

This would of course affect phrasing of strategies, etc.

I still stand by my "Defender eliminates one of the two sets of DZ's, Attacker chooses which of the DZ's in the remaining set to start in" proposal.

Allows the Defender to remove the one DZ that's the absolute worst for them (or alternately, not allow the Attacker the best).

There's nothing worse than there being one clearly sucky DZ, and knowing that you're going to end up there if you lose one flip. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Angelshard said:

...no starting zone should be much worse than another...

If one zone gives free movement to most of the board and the other is fenced in behind a river, then the board setup is bad.

Strongly disagree - it is the the reason for having DZ selection as a decision point, to make it a consideration you can use to your advantage and/or need to design a crew around. If a potential DZ has a load of Severe terrain in front of it, you should be bringing Unimpeded and Place tricks, particularly as Defender.

@DuBlanck I disagree that DZ should have a major impact on your your crew selection. The board as a whole should definitely impact both master choice and crew selection, but the DZ shouldn't be so skewed that one crew can be bogged down, while the other has free reign. I'm fine with having to alter your list a bit to accommodate the risk of a bad DZ, but it shouldn't be a major decision for crew selection. 

While I agree Deployment Zone should have some impact, but perhaps not huge impact... It barely takes any impact to warp the game... Take this map for example:

image.thumb.png.510d6b80d1d2027d83b296b0c3c043fa.png

At first glance, this board looks incredibly symmetrical.

But in a Seamus vs Nekima game, I got a huge advantage by being attacker and setting up a 'nest' for Seamus to safely sit in so Nekima couldn't attack him until turn 3.

As another example on this same map on standard deployment for Symbols, Hoffman 2 getting to be attacker gives him the bottom deployment zone, so he can lock three symbols at the start of turn 1.

So deployment zone choice can have a big impact, even on a reasonably symmetrical board like this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angelshard said:

I'd say that is more an issue with board setup than with the rules. While I do support asymmetrical boards, no starting zone should be much worse than another. If one zone gives free movement to most of the board and the other is fenced in behind a river, then the board setup is bad. 

It doesn't have to be an extreme, for it to impact the table significantly. And setting up a board so that it's no worse than another is fine if you're ONLY playing North/South. But when you have to take into account 8 general DZ's (with each having two distinct shapes), and making sure none are massively advantaged/disadvantaged, it's a lot more cumbersome than I'd like, than placing terrain on a table, making it look thematic, fixing obvious problems, and getting into the meat of the game.

I find rivers to be most problematic. If they're not just straight down the middle of the board, then it can definitely put the screws to the Defender.

image.png.f882c3b551102d710d84ceed3279c64f.png

First one is fine for the most part. Second one sucks if you're not playing East/West, especially if there's a centreline strategy. Third one sucks if you're not playing NW/SE, moreso if you're forced to play SW/NE but still sucking if you're playing N/S or E/W.

But I don't want to play with only a dividing line river, but with "Your opponent gets four DZ's to screw you with", asymmetrical rivers are not something I want to put on the table.

Other terrains can also be impactful, especially if you're doing a town square on a part of the board that is NOT the table center, or want to use a slightly larger than normal terrain piece (I have a church and a swamp bar that are both around 6x9, look awesome, but can definitely be a problem if you don't factor in all 8 ways you might get hosed.

@Morgan Vening I personally loathe rivers, they're a cool piece of terrain, but you need to have a river that can easily be divided into separate pieces of terrain. It's not that bad if a central river has 4-5 crossing points, but if you only have 2 (as I've seen several times) for a river that separates the board, you can invalidate a lot of crew options. 

One problem, that I didn't notice as much in m2e, is that a lot of models now interact much more directly with terrain, so any big piece becomes a potential problem. 

Generally I care less about the theme of a table than about how well it works mechanically. 

I remember playing on a swamp board, it looked great, but ~40 of the board was severe terrain. It caused a huge imbalance between what crews people had. Some had no response to that board. 

28 minutes ago, Angelshard said:

I remember playing on a swamp board, it looked great, but ~40 of the board was severe terrain. It caused a huge imbalance between what crews people had. Some had no response to that board. 

This is one of those things that really depends on your play group. If you have lots of players with only a limited number of crews, then this sort of thing can be bad because some people almost lose before they even pick what they have. If you have a play group where most players have several crew choices, this sort of thing can be really good and interesting and make people try things they don't normally try. I'm a big fan of playing on "warped" boards like this, in part because I have a large collection, and even if I can't play well on it with my collection, I enjoy the challenge of trying to make do with what I have. (One of my Favourite Seamus games in M2E was the one I played on a table with 0 blocking terrain items (I defined the terrain as I would normally, but I was playing in an event with fixed master so had to use Seamus). I lost, but I got to try a lot of different things. 

In casual games, we figure out what people want to play and then design the board to give us a balanced game.

So the deployment rules don't really matter for casual play. We just setup a balanced board and generally choose to deploy on whichever side of the table our minis are.

In tournament play, though, you generally follow the actual rules.

You place and define terrain before you know what people are playing, and to some degree you assume that people will bring crews that can handle diverse terrain.

At this level of play (when you're actually following the rules and boards fit the GG guidelines but are not designed to 'go easy' on casual players), I think deployment zone choice starts to matter.

For casual play it doesn't matter because most people don't even follow the terrain and deployment rules I think.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Or perhaps even more relevant for tournaments - we only have so much terrain.

The tables get what the tables get xD

That's what I often see😊 I can also understand that when you need to fill up 10+ tables, the terrain isn't going to be ideal on every table. 

@adran I don't mind a warped or skewed table in a non-tournament setting. I find it both fun and interesting. But when your end result can be decided by a bad table, or the need to both own and know how to play, certain masters in a faction its an issue. At least in my book.

I know it's a major drain on a TO having to get and store such huge amounts of terrain (although 3D printers help with the price these days). I'm just not sure if adding another decision to the pregame of an already time consuming game is the best way to go. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Angelshard said:

@adran I don't mind a warped or skewed table in a non-tournament setting. I find it both fun and interesting. But when your end result can be decided by a bad table, or the need to both own and know how to play, certain masters in a faction its an issue. At least in my book.

It may well be my outlook, but I go to Malifaux tournaments to be able to play a bunch of Malifaux games. So if I lose because I'm stuck on Table X for round Y, then so be it. I still got my game which is why I was there. 

If the tournament result matters then it should be a case that you need to be a good player to get the win, and that, to my mind, means that you know how to adapt to face the situation the table throws at you.  I don't get to as many events as I used to, but I would much rather go to an event that had a wide range of tables, than one that just had copies of the same table "to make it fair".

(I'm also a player that does literally make up his crew at the side of the table, rather than one who does any pre-building of it, so adapting to the table is my normal mindset. If you are more of a set list type of player, then you are much more going to object to "skewed tables".  So I stick with my "it depends on your playgroup" if it is an issue or not. 

The game I referred to was on a fairly common looking Wooded table that was fine for 99% of malifaux games. It didn't help that I was using a master I wasn't good with against one of the top players in the country at the time (who did offer to redefine terrain when they saw who I was playing, but I refused. ), I was probably going to lose it regardless of the terrain. It was run as a "beginners" event because you were playing fixed master (and fixed pool if I remember rightly) so the T.O. already removed part of the game rules to allow players to adapt in an attempt to make it "fairer" for new players. We both had fun, and there were memorable moments in the game. 

• Agree 3

This is basically going to rip off The Other Coast, but I thought their idea for a generic rule for ending conditions with a value. Something like If a condition has a value, instead of ending it, reduce it by 2/3/4 (or even 2/3/5, reward that severe!). That way you can't just strip 15 Burning of a Golem or 86,473 Poison off Brewmaster with a single action/ability.

It's still better than Assist for friendlies, as most condition removal has a greater range and this removes more.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Da Git said:

This is basically going to rip off The Other Coast, but I thought their idea for a generic rule for ending conditions with a value. Something like If a condition has a value, instead of ending it, reduce it by 2/3/4 (or even 2/3/5, reward that severe!). That way you can't just strip 15 Burning of a Golem or 86,473 Poison off Brewmaster with a single action/ability.

It's still better than Assist for friendlies, as most condition removal has a greater range and this removes more.

Whereas I'm kinda the other way, especially with the Focus change.

Having massive amounts of a condition makes being able to strip it all with one action, the problematic aspect.

If a crew NEEDS well into the double digits on a condition for that crew to function, I think it's the crew that needs to be looked at more than the condition removal.

If you're going to have "remove all" be an enumerated amount instead though, I wouldn't make it variable. Just a fixed 5, basically the best circumstance you get out of Blood Poisoning and the like.

Also, if we're going to cap "remove all", then the few new effects that don't have a cap need it. Do NOT want the Corpse Curator capable of inflicting massive damage (especially without an opposed duel) if I'm restricted in my ability to reduce it.

@Adran I love list building, which might very well make me less adaptable to the terrain of the table.

And I 100% agree that the major draw of a tournament is playing a bunch of games and having fun. 

For me part of the fun though, is that I don't feel like I lost when I looked at the table. There's some players where I'm pretty sure I'm screwed if they're on the other side of the table, and that is fine, it usually teaches me alot and I have a fun game. But I dislike looking at a city table with 6 huge buildings and watching the Incorporeal crew on the other side of the table run free, while I have to walk around everything. 

It's probably also why I don't feel like guild is as behind on movement as many others do, I usually play on 'balanced' terrain tables, so flight, Incorporeal and such have a mobility advantage, but it's not astronomical. 

• Like 1

The recent rules thread on Blast damage and Demise effects has brought about one change for me, make all Demise abilities "Once per Turn". Kills infinite looping between 2 Demise models, and helps to make the Blast resolution simpler by allowing the full resolution of Blast and resulting effects before moving to the next Blast. This might need changes to damage timing or Blast rules as well, but the need to remember the damage dealt by a Demise and deal with it after resolving the other Blast damage seems like it could be streamlined in some way.

2 hours ago, Morgan Vening said:

Whereas I'm kinda the other way, especially with the Focus change.

Having massive amounts of a condition makes being able to strip it all with one action, the problematic aspect.

If a crew NEEDS well into the double digits on a condition for that crew to function, I think it's the crew that needs to be looked at more than the condition removal.

If you're going to have "remove all" be an enumerated amount instead though, I wouldn't make it variable. Just a fixed 5, basically the best circumstance you get out of Blood Poisoning and the like.

Also, if we're going to cap "remove all", then the few new effects that don't have a cap need it. Do NOT want the Corpse Curator capable of inflicting massive damage (especially without an opposed duel) if I'm restricted in my ability to reduce it.

I like the thought of capping every +X condition while also reducing the power of condition clear on +X conditions, but what would be an acceptable cap? Poison and Burning would need to be at least 10, but would that be a good cap overall? Some crews definitely would want it higher, but reducing burning by 5 on a model with 20+ is pretty moot.

1 hour ago, PiersonsMuppeteer said:

The recent rules thread on Blast damage and Demise effects has brought about one change for me, make all Demise abilities "Once per Turn". Kills infinite looping between 2 Demise models, and helps to make the Blast resolution simpler by allowing the full resolution of Blast and resulting effects before moving to the next Blast. This might need changes to damage timing or Blast rules as well, but the need to remember the damage dealt by a Demise and deal with it after resolving the other Blast damage seems like it could be streamlined in some way.

There isn't actually an infinite loop, the rules already stop it.

1 hour ago, Adran said:

There isn't actually an infinite loop, the rules already stop it.

Maybe saying it kills the possibility of incomplete rules understanding causing an infinite loop is better, but I think that having them once per turn could allow for some streamlining of rules that prevent the loop (or just cut down on sections of rules needed to reference during those scenarios). Is there any big detracting factor to Demise effects not already once per turn being adjusted to once per turn?