Som'er Teeth Jones, Loot Monger

HomelessOne

18 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Gotta take a bit to digest the cards. But they look interesting. Som'er seems to have taken a pretty dramatic shift in direction to being a scheme marker focused Master.

Agreed - But not sure how reliable he will be. Seems to depend on the enemy to get the "engine" going. Throw Junk seems fun and effective

I can see Gluttony being effective with this crew - Loads of markers to remove :D

My first gut reaction is: Why?

No other Big Hat models seem to interact with scheme markers. Even a little. The only close thing I can think of is Gremlin Crier's Threaten Beatings

In theory any significant model in Keyword can summon a bayou gremlin a turn, which is pretty cool. But I'm not sure how much you'd want to invest spending a whole activation and a card doing it.

Edit: Forgot Lenny's Pound to Dust trigger. Which could remove scheme markers

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

My first gut reaction is: Why?

No other Big Hat models seem to interact with scheme markers. Even a little. The only close thing I can think of is Gremlin Crier's Threaten Beatings

In theory any significant model in Keyword can summon a bayou gremlin a turn, which is pretty cool. But I'm not sure how much you'd want to invest spending a whole activation and a card doing it.

Yeah. It has to be a Big Hat model who removes the marker, to summon a Bayou Gremlin. From what I can tell, the crew has 0 long-range removals to activate this. 

Som'er isn't more killy with this title, but he can slow models? I'm honestly not very impressed. You get to trade a master AP for a push (if a Scheme Marker is available in LoS) and a ranged attack.

I can see the "New" Bayou Two Card, where you'd toss Slow on Bayou Gremlins to get :+flipon a Duel (Duel only. Not a flip). But your opponent is the one putting down most of the scheme markers through Spot the goods? So the Bayou Gremlin would spawn in their area, and thus not be within :aura3. A bit of a let down, since Bayou Two Card has been given to several other models in different factions. 

This is the first Bayou Title that doesn't impress me. It really seems like they didn't think this one through. 

I'll try it, and hopefully it turns out I'm a grumpy old fool who sucks at theorycrafting :D

Maybe bring The Sow or Piglets from OoK?
Piglets can go fast to interact multiple times a turn and make gremlins drop scheme markers for other models to make Bayou Gremlins. And become markers when they die.

I think I'm going to need to play a lot of games with the New Somer to understand what it is he does.
Ranged Slow is nice. But doesn't seem worth Master level AP. Ranged Stagger is cool too, but it actually brings the enemy model closer to the crew, which seems counter productive in most cases. His melee attack is okay. But it needs to keep eating scheme markers you might want for summoning or schemes to be Master level.
I guess you Gremlin Raid a lot? That seems like it needs a lot of set up too. You need a marker in LoS of the target, and probably need Lenny's Gremlin General near where they're ending their push or you probably could have been more productive just having Somer himself shoot.

Ironically this Som'er would be a beast at scoring runic binding, but we don't have that anymore. Looks like he'll be unstoppable at Detonate Charges and very good at Bait and Switch. So I guess there will be very specific pools he's better than OG Som'er if you are committed to playing Big Hat instead of another crew.

• Like 1

Some random thought on Parker new Som'er.

• 12 Cups of Coffee is now a must have for the marker removal. I like it on a Good Ol' Boy for the minion bonus.
  • Big Brain Brin can remove the Slow such that you can give Slow to the model again
  • Model with Apparel upgrade can be moved around by Smuggler with the Drag Behind

Me neither don't see any reason to bring this version over original Som'er or other keyword. Maybe when I went to a single keyword event, or if there was a Strategy that require Scheme Markers in future GG.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, wizuriel said:

Trying to hire big hat models also seems like a nightmare. Most imo are really overcost as they are designed to be summoned. 

The most expansive big hat minions is 7ss (GOB are fine at this cost I think, they would be ridiculous at 6ss). The other are really cheap role players... 

This new Sommer looks full of tricks, unfortunately I also think it will fall short for competitive play in most situations. He'll be a nice tech pick for some pools though.

2 hours ago, wizuriel said:

Trying to hire big hat models also seems like a nightmare. Most imo are really overcost as they are designed to be summoned. 

I had a similar thought. I don't know about over costed, but outside of Good ol Boys pretty much everything is a niche pick.

I'm used to posting Big Hat knowing I'll be summoning another 20 stones of models to feed into the grinder. Most of the alternate titles for summoners have them Master significantly enhance the abilities of thier models. Bayou Two Card being replaced with Work Together is about a side grade at best. I don't think this Somer is adding a 40% increase in utility for models. 

It makes me wonder if he had different mechanics and they changed him last minute.

49 minutes ago, FrostHunter said:

Here - i'm terryfied about two attacks from rabbits with granted crow for execute.

Only one free suit an activation. Might be fun with Obeys though.

16 minutes ago, aquenaton said:

.. I love the possibility to give archie thee hat he deserves, but still is a very strange

I was kind of disappointed that it's RedChapel or Big Hat only

• Like 3

I finally got to try this Som’er out in a scheme pool perfect for him, and… Wow. That might’ve been the single worst game I’ve had all year.

I want to love this keyword, but it feels so dysfunctional and untested. I’m semi worried this is the result of people simply losing interest in Big Hat after they kneecapped the original Som’er to oblivion, and so they never got around to this version in the beta.

Please tell me someone else had a different experience, and I just dropped the ball on this one :D

Side question: We ruled that the ability Ransack means you can only ever get a single Bayou Gremlin out – Even if you remove 3-4 markers with an ability like Mark Territory. Were we totally off on that one? “Luckily” it didn’t matter in my game, since there were never more than 1 scheme marker around.

43 minutes ago, GrumpyGrandpa said:

I finally got to try this Som’er out in a scheme pool perfect for him, and… Wow. That might’ve been the single worst game I’ve had all year.

How did it feel off? Was it just the general weakness of the keyword coupled with a more lackluster Master?

43 minutes ago, GrumpyGrandpa said:

Side question: We ruled that the ability Ransack means you can only ever get a single Bayou Gremlin out – Even if you remove 3-4 markers with an ability like Mark Territory. Were we totally off on that one? “Luckily” it didn’t matter in my game, since there were never more than 1 scheme marker around.

Yeah, that's my reading as well. It's Once Per Turn and talks in singular about both the Scheme Markers and the Bayou Gremlins.

1 hour ago, Math Mathonwy said:

How did it feel off? Was it just the general weakness of the keyword coupled with a more lackluster Master?

Good question - It felt like this version of Som'er was unable to properly support this crew, and not supply enough “fodder” to compensate for it. 

The Big Hat crew seems to be built around either being summonable & flexible, or just bloating the board with models to compensate for their below-average efficiency. It’s the whole “No one can whistle a symphony. It takes a whole orchestra to play it”-concept, where the models become about-average when paired together.

This Som’er doesn’t seem to support that playstyle. He also relies too much on the enemy to help him function. You want Scheme Markers to get Schemes & Bayou Gremlins. Your primary way to getting said markers are by either using his own trigger Draw out Secrets or the ability Spot the Goods. You can obviously just drop one yourself, but that isn’t Action-efficient, from what I can tell. It needs to be a natural part of the crew & rotation – Otherwise you’re playing from behind.

Often, I found that the markers dropped 10-inches away. That essentially made them useless to me since I could not get close enough to remove them, to get the Bayou Gremlins I needed. 

The whole stick seems to be tacked on to the master as a band-aid, and it doesn’t flow with the keyword. Comparing the two versions of the master, it feels like Som'er has lost a lot, and gained very little.

Sorry if this comes off as very negative 😅 My hope is that someone can point out how wrong I am, and show me how to win with this crew.

• Thanks 3