Youko Hamasaki, Unseen

HomelessOne

Oookey... two kabuki warriors with ninja training overlaping their distraction aura onto activated boring conversation from Shojo, and if she will activate her second aura... It might be quite nice control piece that can beat stuff to death, lure others, mess with scheme markers. And that for 26ss with one question how to protect Shojo from shooting. Hmmmm...

If Lynch will get access to generating pass token somehow then the amount of auras will be even more terryfing.

Youko - she looks scary and deadly... Information broker - very nice to reuse those high rams or what we need from discard pile. Hidden Ledger - with Mind games monstrous! I have temporal amnesia - can she target herself by Gather intel? If yes then with cut them down she has easily obtained 4/5/6 damage track just to cut down those pesky armored models.

And now i would wish that Bill had Extended Reach...

I have feelings that Wyrd is trying to compensate orginal Youko which is still considered as one of weaker Masters...

I see there another little bubble crew to get those free suits (mostly rams for healing, lures, unexpected ferocity). On the other hand Ivan may get into the trouble.

Two pass tokens and grab two cards from discard pile is quite a strong baseline.

But... A lot of her abilities rely on distracted, which is quite tricky. There are a lot of models in the game that essentially ignore distracted (anything that can easily get positives), and there's also several ways around it (condition removal, assist action, or just flipping through it).

Reminds me of when I saw a Transmortis player play against Youko's minus flips, and he just spammed so many attacks that he was killing faster than the Youko player anyway xD

So I'd worry that this master will suffer from the issue that distracted isn't quite as up there as say stunned or slow, but maybe the crew comes together.

She does have a ton of other excellent tools as well, so fingers crossed. Certainly the playstyle appeals to me enormously, so may give her a spin at some point!

From the artwork I would have never guessed that this is Youko, so they definitely got the 'Unseen' part covered. 

It's weird that a model wearing a Katana, dual-wielded daggers and a belt full of throwing knives has just one attack action while her prior version has three. 

Seems like, apart from pass tokens and Distracted, Youko's true gimmick is wearing weapons for show only.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Two pass tokens and grab two cards from discard pile is quite a strong baseline.

But... A lot of her abilities rely on distracted, which is quite tricky. There are a lot of models in the game that essentially ignore distracted (anything that can easily get positives), and there's also several ways around it (condition removal, assist action, or just flipping through it).

Reminds me of when I saw a Transmortis player play against Youko's minus flips, and he just spammed so many attacks that he was killing faster than the Youko player anyway xD

So I'd worry that this master will suffer from the issue that distracted isn't quite as up there as say stunned or slow, but maybe the crew comes together.

She does have a ton of other excellent tools as well, so fingers crossed. Certainly the playstyle appeals to me enormously, so may give her a spin at some point!

Her crew also doesn't give out all that much distracted itself. I think treating the Distracted as mostly secondary and focusing on Gather Intel is probably the way to go.

Maybe doing the Ama No Zako double Hidden Ledger for Black Stain is the way to go, just for the tilt factor for people who worry about that sort of deck manipulation. Just think, you could get rid of 10 severes by turn 5 if you get lucky and do it twice per turn!

2 minutes ago, Jinn said:

Her crew also doesn't give out all that much distracted itself. I think treating the Distracted as mostly secondary and focusing on Gather Intel is probably the way to go.

Maybe doing the Ama No Zako double Hidden Ledger for Black Stain is the way to go, just for the tilt factor for people who worry about that sort of deck manipulation. Just think, you could get rid of 10 severes by turn 5 if you get lucky and do it twice per turn!

Is there something I'm missing about Gather Intel? It's pretty AP efficient, but it is basically an extra charge for a model if suited, or sometimes a move and drop a scheme. And then a willpower duel for distracted stapled on to that.

It is cool she can do it to herself, though.

Just now, Maniacal_cackle said:

Is there something I'm missing about Hidden Ledger? It's pretty AP efficient, but it is basically an extra charge for a model if suited, or sometimes a move and drop a scheme. And then a willpower duel for distracted stapled on to that.

It is cool she can do it to herself, though.

That's Gather Intel, but the only thing you're missing about it is Terracotta Warriors exist and can copy it at stat 4. Being able to hand out effectively a walk + attack (important for Kabukis that it isn't a charge) or a walk + scheme marker is a very strong action, and combined with the activation control of the crew (Youko alone starts 2 activations ahead with those Pass Tokens) will probably win games all on its own.

On Kabukis the enemy will be at :-flipto the Wp duel as well, and on Geisha (who are very squishy, so be careful) they are getting hit with a Wp targeting Slow in a Distraction aura.

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Jinn said:

That's Gather Intel, but the only thing you're missing about it is Terracotta Warriors exist and can copy it at stat 4. Being able to hand out effectively a walk + attack (important for Kabukis that it isn't a charge) or a walk + scheme marker is a very strong action, and combined with the activation control of the crew (Youko alone starts 2 activations ahead with those Pass Tokens) will probably win games all on its own.

On Kabukis the enemy will be at :-flipto the Wp duel as well, and on Geisha (who are very squishy, so be careful) they are getting hit with a Wp targeting Slow in a Distraction aura.

Oh yeah, that's pretty neat.

Also the terracotta warriors can command Youko to move around which is sweet.

2 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Oh yeah, that's pretty neat.

Also the terracotta warriors can command Youko to move around which is sweet.

Yeah, they already kinda had their fill of that with Misaki. They can obey her to charge, although it needs a 10 instead of a 6 like Youko.

I honestly think the only reason that Information Broker mentions Chiyo as an option is so that Terracottas can't take it.

1 hour ago, Angelshard said:

@Axelst Even without trigger having my deck manipulated twice a turn would make me angry. 

Not as nasty as new Sonnia's deck manipulation at least. And if you really  wanted to you could do that at least 5 times a turn if you pair her with Lucius as the primary master and bring changelings.

32 minutes ago, Da Git said:

Very mixed feelings about Youko's artwork...

While I love it, it really looks like a Last Blossom model...

Which is interesting as the new Misaki Artwork could really pass for a Qi & Gong model!

True. Her old artwork was more in theme, but was a little strange too - she's pulling a sword from an umbrella but has no attack remotely resembling that.

17 minutes ago, Mycellanious said:

So to clarify, the extra damage from reducing Distracted on Youko's mele attack would NOT ignore Armor correct? It is not a +2, so it is treated as an additional ping of damage like Smoulder, nor does the Action say "damage from this Action ignores Armor."

I'm not 100% sure to be honest, but I think it should be resolved together. I'm looking at the core rulebook and some of the only places I see "additional damage" is in Poison and Burning which use similar wording. I've never played it as Shielded blocking each point of condition damage separately, or Armor effectively being ignored by them because it's a bunch of separate pings of 1 damage, and I really hope Alcohol Poisoning isn't meant to do +1 damage per 3 extra poison. My guess would be that it is just added on to the main damage, thereby being resolved ignoring armour and being affected by Incorporeal only once. It will also be fully blocked by effects that reduce a source of damage to 0.

30 minutes ago, Mycellanious said:

So to clarify, the extra damage from reducing Distracted on Youko's mele attack would NOT ignore Armor correct? It is not a +2, so it is treated as an additional ping of damage like Smoulder, nor does the Action say "damage from this Action ignores Armor."

All other cases of additional damage I have found do have the (+x) in there somewhere, although often in the reminder text, or the limit of the extra damage possible.

I naturally read additional damage to add to the actions natural damage rather than be a separate source. And so I would expect it to still be armor ignoring, (and not trigger a second reduction by shielded)

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Jinn said:

I'm not 100% sure to be honest, but I think it should be resolved together. I'm looking at the core rulebook and some of the only places I see "additional damage" is in Poison and Burning which use similar wording. I've never played it as Shielded blocking each point of condition damage separately, or Armor effectively being ignored by them because it's a bunch of separate pings of 1 damage, and I really hope Alcohol Poisoning isn't meant to do +1 damage per 3 extra poison. My guess would be that it is just added on to the main damage, thereby being resolved ignoring armour and being affected by Incorporeal only once. It will also be fully blocked by effects that reduce a source of damage to 0.

So Burning and Poison definitely stack their damages, because the target suffers +1 damage for every 3 stacks, "During the end phase this model suffers 1 damage, plus 1 damage for every 3 points of Burning beyond the first"

Youko is not a "+2"