The Brewmaster, Moonshiner

HomelessOne

OK, this one is super interesting! Looks like nuBrew will play very different from the original. The whole crew is going to be crazy mobile but nuBrew himself will be one of the most mobile models in the whole game!

Treating negatives as positives means that his damage track is pretty respectable but he isn't a beater like the OG version. Bar Room Brawl does give the whole crew quite a bit more damage potential especially coupled with the Poison pings. Another Round and Tipsy Slide mean that there will be a lot of pings and coupled with the Open Gourd the crew seems to be going for the death by a thousand cuts style with a ton of movement.

Man that's a lot of pings.

Lasting Liquor is a complete godsend and will make playing Tri-Chi feel so much better!

nuBrew himself isn't all that super durable, though. Butterfly Jump is amazing but with the auras his positioning is going to be an interesting challenge. Of course Tri-Chi has a lot of healing so he shouldn't be too easy to deal with.

Super excited about his one!

• Like 1

Am I reading Lasting Liquor wrong or does it actually have two effects:

• The Poision Condition cannot be ended
  • The Poision Condition cannot be reduced on friendly models within 8 :auraby enemy effects.

Essentially meaning that all friendly models will always have a minimum of 1 poison, since it cannot be ended, if they stay within 8 :aura of the brewmaster?

14 minutes ago, GrumpyGrandpa said:

• The Poision Condition cannot be reduced on friendly models within 8 :auraby enemy effects.

Essentially meaning that all friendly models will always have a minimum of 1 poison, if they stay within 8 :aura of the brewmaster?

The ability reads to me that: "Enemy cannot end nor reduce Poison Condition on friendly models when they are within :aura8"

Poison Condition still can be ended or reduced by friendly effect or by Poison Condition it self.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, GrumpyGrandpa said:

Essentially meaning that all friendly models will always have a minimum of 1 poison, if they stay within 8 :aura of the brewmaster?

I think it means that enemy effects cannot reduce or end poison on your friendly models within 8.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

My initial reaction is great disappointment. I really would have liked to see Too Drunk to Care instead of Butterfly Jump and +1 defense.

Drunken Kung-fu is almost wasted on this model. He has no gun action to ever benefit from friendly fire. The only ranged ability he would use on an enemy doesn't have a resist or TN. The only time, outside of something your opponent provides, it effects his action is if you use Open the Gourd on a construct in concealment. And he only has one attack with a mediocre damage spread to get the damage flip bonus. It seems to be in his card m mostly to screw him out of using focus. 

Looking more at the card, it's growing on me. The mobility tricks are pretty great. Especially since a lot of them happen in the end phase after the opponent has an ability to react to them. 

Open the Gourd looks stellar. It makes Bar Room Brawl and Tipsy Slide both better. I'm a little worried that it will make the crew hyper dependent on the Whiskey Golem, which already has a big target painted on it. 

Shojo seems amazing. Especially with OG Brewmaster, since Red In The face boosts every Have a Drink up to the 3 poison sweet spot. 

15 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

It seems to be in his card m mostly to screw him out of using focus. 

District is not overly rare, and this basically ensures you have a positive to damage, also remember that pushing the target can trigger hazardous, and pushing yourself can trigger bar room brawl so it could be thought about as a 3/4/5 with 2/2/3 going through armor 2, it's an attack that can get off poison 4 aswell, the two poison hazards and built in smashed, so it's not like it just doesn't have it's place

1 hour ago, touchdown said:

the combination of butterfly jump and a 2" engagement is actually going to be super survivable. Looks like you can get shot off the table, but I'd be surprised to see Brewie go down to a melee beater

Don't forget the Shiners Staff. If they're not base contact, whack-push and now they're outside 1".

Crews without a lot of 2" reach are gonna hate this guy.

1 hour ago, Morgan Vening said:

Don't forget the Shiners Staff. If they're not base contact, whack-push and now they're outside 1".

Yeah, it's sort of the same trick that fermented river monks, and to a lesser extent moon shinobi, have. It makes me wish he had slippery.

2 hours ago, fire5tone said:

remember that pushing the target can trigger hazardous, and pushing yourself can trigger bar room brawl so it could be thought about as a 3/4/5 with 2/2/3 going through armor 2, it's an attack that can get off poison 4 aswell, the two poison hazards and built in smashed, so it's not like it just doesn't have it's place

Shiners staff is pretty good. But that's more the ability itself combined with built-in push, poison and other ability synergies. Drunken kung fu doesn't seem to add a whole lot to that, imo. 

12 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Shiners staff is pretty good. But that's more the ability itself combined with built-in push, poison and other ability synergies. Drunken kung fu doesn't seem to add a whole lot to that, imo. 

The part of that that that dkf adds to is going through manipulative, and serene among multiple other abilities and turning them into bonus's, ensuring that if you need to hit somebody you can hit them 

19 hours ago, fire5tone said:

The part of that that that dkf adds to is going through manipulative, and serene among multiple other abilities and turning them into bonus's, ensuring that if you need to hit somebody you can hit them 

I usually don't have much problem with Manipulative or Serene, or hitting things in general with Tri-chi, but there isn't a whole lot of manipulative in my meta. 

I think I'm going to regularly use Popcorn with the new Brewmaster instead of leaving him in the case. Alcohol Poisoning will help a lot when poison is ticking twice a turn and it also provides extra push distance. Blood poisoning to fit the potential extra damage or distance.

11 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I usually don't have much problem with Manipulative or Serene, or hitting things in general with Tri-chi, but there isn't a whole lot of manipulative in my meta. 

I think I'm going to regularly use Popcorn with the new Brewmaster instead of leaving him in the case. Alcohol Poisoning will help a lot when poison is ticking twice a turn and it also provides extra push distance. Blood poisoning to fit the potential extra damage or distance.

I totally agree with you. Drunken Kung Fu is almost wasted on him. 

Popcorn is coming back to my list and the enforcer will be a great pick in Brewie1

• Agree 1

Something I noticed listening to the Boring Conversation tonight was there was a bit of talk about loading up Shojo with poison in an Open the Gourd aura (think that's what they were talking about anyways... I was in it for the Qi & Gong talk!). However, because she's Incorporeal, she ignores the Hazardous Poison +1 from the aura.

Don't know if it's been picked up by the community, but thought I'd share.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, GrumpyGrandpa said:

Have anyone tried out the new Brewmaster, and feel like sharing their list and thoughts? 

I want to try him out, but I'm at a loss on the crew building.

I think I would go heavy on the Fermented Monks with him. Tipsy Slide should help with their 0" Ml and when the opponent cannot remove their Poison, they should be quite amazing. So maybe something like

• New Brew
  • Wesley
  • Popcorn
  • Whiskey Golem
  • Tanuki
  • 3x Fermented Monk
  • 9 SS left for Pool and Upgrades

Popcorn could be Fingers instead depending on Strat and Schemes. Of you could switch one Monk for Fingers.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:
  • New Brew
  • Wesley
  • Popcorn
  • Whiskey Golem
  • Tanuki
  • 3x Fermented Monk

This looks like the list I'd use for both versions. Swap Popcorn and Tanuki for Fingers and the new Enforcer for OG Brewmaster.

Which I guess is just too say that Fermented River Monks and the Whiskey Golem are baller.

6 hours ago, GrumpyGrandpa said:

Didn't even consider them - Very good idea! They seem powerful with this version, yeah :D

FRM are stupid powerful in Original Brewmaster.... I think they'll be obscene in New & Improved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jesy Blue said:

FRM are stupid powerful in Original Brewmaster.... I think they'll be obscene in New & Improved.

I really want to try them with Brewmaster Classic and Shojo.  

Her +1 poison aura let's all the Have a Drink attacks in range actually hit Intoxication level. It would be nice to actually slow models. Lol

On 9/20/2021 at 12:01 PM, Math Mathonwy said:
  • New Brew
  • Wesley
  • Popcorn
  • Whiskey Golem
  • Tanuki
  • 3x Fermented Monk

Tried this list with a bit of variation to fit my enemy crew & the schemes. Played against Titania 2.0. Ended up with:

• Brew 2.0
    • Twelve Cups of Coffee
  • Wesley
  • Whiskey Golm
  • Tanuki
  • Fermented Monk
    • Twelve Cups of Coffee
  • Fermented Monk
  • Lucky Emissary
  • Whiskey Gamin
  • 4x SS

The Lucky Emissary was there to remove Markers from Titania. 

Man, this version of the master is hilarious to play. So much mobility and fun interactions. I can see him being picked a lot in GG2.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Lucky Emissary seems like a fun pick with New Brewmaster's construct aura. 

How'd the game play out? Where you able to keep up with Titania drawing 3-6 cards a turn?

I don't think the aura works on none Tri-Chi constructs? Man, if it did :D

It played out very well - I spend the first turn loading up Poison on my crew, and then rushing into the middle of his crew. The Lucky Emissary kept the card draw below 3, while I ping-pong'ed around, slowly wearing him and his models down. 

It was a solid win for me, against one (if not the) best player in my area. We didn't play it out, but I could see myself finishing the game 7 - 2

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1