Bayhoff, the buff Hoffman

4thstringer

1 hour ago, 4thstringer said:

I didn't see a thread about bayhoff, so I am starting one here.  Let's hear your thoughts and experiences.

I tried him tonight and he did well for me, though I failed to really use the pillars well. That will take some practice I think.

The blue sub-forum has one. But they don't have a cool nickname for him. Pfft. Now when they adopt this superior nickname they'll have to work out whether he should be ArcbayHoff or BayarcHoff.

On 8/19/2021 at 10:58 PM, Maladroit said:

The blue sub-forum has one. But they don't have a cool nickname for him. Pfft. Now when they adopt this superior nickname they'll have to work out whether he should be ArcbayHoff or BayarcHoff.

I'll admit I stole them nickname from elsewhere.  But I don't remember who to give the credit to.

2 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

Ran my second game with Hoff 2 tonight.  Despite losing Howard before he activated to kaeris and some tough flips, it ended up being a pretty good win for me.  Hoff controls space and positioning really well with his durability, 50mm base and great reach.

Have not tried it yet, but my instinct is to switch to more ranged options like Mellisa so I can park nearer to the new pylons and use the hunters/peacekeeper to pull models towards the crew. Are you finding that you aren't bubbling as much or have switched your crew around in some way?

13 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

Ran my second game with Hoff 2 tonight.  Despite losing Howard before he activated to kaeris and some tough flips, it ended up being a pretty good win for me.  Hoff controls space and positioning really well with his durability, 50mm base and great reach.

What list did you play?

21 hours ago, Maladroit said:

Have not tried it yet, but my instinct is to switch to more ranged options like Mellisa so I can park nearer to the new pylons and use the hunters/peacekeeper to pull models towards the crew. Are you finding that you aren't bubbling as much or have switched your crew around in some way?

In my first game I didn't bunch much at all, the second there is was a big jammy scrum in the middle.

10 hours ago, belorey said:

What list did you play?

Hoff2

Toolkit

Medibot

Howard

Peacekeeper

Guardian with no prisoners- trying for a meme

Nurse hb

Watcher

I got weird with a few takes, but I didn't hate it.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Ok I'm now 8 games into bayhoff.  Some observations-

1. I like the steamfitter and medibot with hoff2.  Nice healing and the steamfitter helps you scheme.

2. He seems really strong.  Even outside of blocking off things with the pylons, the 4 irreducible and his construction claw are both really punishing.  

3. Howard consistently dies without support, but I'm usually ok with that.  The shielded 1 is just not enough, though maybe I should give him LLC.

4. Bulldoze makes Hoff better at scoring points, as does the ability to drop a marker with his bonus.  

5. Construction claw messes up aura buff crews.

6. The 4 irreducible means I start his activation by saying to myself "ok, what on the board can I remove in a shot" and going from there. If the opponent isn't healing stuff back up, it's hard to hide from that too.

• Like 1

I've only had one game with new Hoffman and Kaeris destroyed me.  It was Wedge Deployment and bad scenery setup (for me, anyway!) so I ended up bunched and subject to Pyre Marker shenanigans that just ruined me.  I really enjoyed the Metallurgist though, but would have liked a melee attack.  And Hoffman himself was nicely self-sufficient, able to generate a new Pylon every turn (and scheme marker).  All my points were scored by Hoff's nonsense.

Looking forward to game 2 though!  Just hopefully with less fire!