Interested in starting Sandeep Desai crew

Necrosage

Hi people ! So I already play Rasputina and find the elementals to be quite fun. As such, I'm interested in trying Sandeep. What do you think of this to begin with ?

New Sandeep Desai Crew (Arcanists)
Size: 50 - Pool: 10
Leader:
  Sandeep Desai
Totem(s):
  Banasuva
Hires:
  Ice Gamin 

Ice Gamin 2
  Kandara
  Fire Gamin
  Fire Gamin 2
  Metal Gamin
  Metal Gamin 2
  Soulstone Miner

I will make this statement.

I would hesitate to buy anything additional, or plan out a model/paint schedule, for Sandeep until I'd seen his new title. 

The titles are significant, they will, for me, impact my "core" Sandeep crew and then title adaption crew selection.

Given they are so close to release I'd hold off a month.

Having said that. I'd definitely include at least one, maybe two Wind Gamin, since the summon nerf you need to crew purchase and not summon them as the premier scheme runners of the crew. I like the Fire Gamin, but I'd be tempted to just include three, I know you can summon them, then plan to maybe flip them into a Fire Golem, but I'd be worried that one would be an obvious target and killed while you're achieving that task. Not a huge fan of Metal Gamin or Ice Gamin as crew purchase, they are strictly summons for mine, maybe get one or two of either we another eye to speeding a Golem, but certainly not both. I see the Soulstone Miner, always useful, not always essential. My big questions are a living minion as a Magical Training bearer, I like the Saboteur at 5SS, useful scheme runner/disrupter, with OK durability, It's expensive as hell but a Shaster Vidiya Guard is an OK model and minion, but 10SS with magical training 🤨. An Arcane Effigy is always a nice cheap activation, and with the Emissary upgrade it will provide either a early turn distraction kill as you set up your summons or a mid-game Emissary to provide a solid beater either in support of a Golem or as an alternative because you have been unable to or have lost your Golem. As much as they are summonable straight purchasing a Golem is always an option as well, your opponent can't disrupt a Golem on the table, a Fire Golem and some Fire Gamin provides an means to throw the Golem forward, distract, summon and when the Golem dies flip you Fire Gamin into a new insta-Golem. 

I don't have a ton of experience with Sandeep. The Gamin question (summon/buy) has not been clearly sorted in my mind I rate Wind Gamin > Fire Gamin > Poison Gamin > Ice Gamin > Metal Gamin as initial purchases, with Wind Gamin dropping below Ice Gamin as summons.

But more experienced advice is welcome.

Will Sandeep's title boost the Academic keyword? For me this seems very likely, they are certainly the poor cousin in the current crew selection options. 

As said before, wind gamin is really important because it enhances the movility of all the crew and great for missions themselves.

Check this little trick, starting the game with a ice golem hire 

I implemented it 3 times , all with great success. once it start taking to much damage you can move it out using kandara's "i've got your back" and if you decide to hire a silent one it will get extra heal from both, the pilars and the healing itself.

• Like 1

Interesting ! I'll do some thinkering and come back with a list !

Edit : what do you think of this ?

New Sandeep Desai Crew (Arcanists)
Size: 50 - Pool: 9
Leader:
  Sandeep Desai
Totem(s):
  Banasuva
Hires:
  Kandara
  Soulstone Miner
  Ice Golem
  Saboteur
  Wind Gamin
  Wind Gamin 2

Are you trying to make a list to allow you to make a "buy" list? or just trying to make a generic Sandeep list to try him out? 

Because if you just want to try him out I would probably build a list containing Poison gamin and Ice Gamin as you will have both of those already (the Poison come in his box) and use versatiles that you already have. 

If you are looking seriously at what you want to buy, I would put Wind gamin very high up the list. I would then look at either Fire or metal as the next set of gamin/golem to consider, and then start customising the lists for your missions from what you have. And then start looking for further buys.

Sandeep is a relatively expensive master to buy because you end up with crews for 3 other masters whilst you are buying all his stuff. On the upside, that means that by the time you have finished getting his stuff, you will have half the faction to select from...

Edit - Remember that 3rd ed boxes are different to 2nd Ed, and the starter box now contains SVG not poison gamin, and if you are getting Kandara you will get mages and the essence of power.