Waldo's Weekly - Old Ghosts

Kyle

3 hours ago, Jinn said:

Moving on from Gwisin, does anyone have any idea why Enslaved Spirits Demise is "After this model is killed, it may Drop a Scheme Marker completely within :aura3."?
Why is it not just within 2" like (almost) every other ability other than Flight? Is there some scheme implication that I'm missing, because as far as I can tell all it changes is about 0.2" of max distance which hardly seems worth it in my eyes.

I think the the difference is line of sight, most significantly "completely within" an aura would mean that you can't place part of the marker underneath another model.

That's fairly significant if the expected use case for these models is to be used in 'I don't care whether it survives, I just want the scheme marker' situations.

4 hours ago, solkan said:

I think the the difference is line of sight, most significantly "completely within" an aura would mean that you can't place part of the marker underneath another model.

That's fairly significant if the expected use case for these models is to be used in 'I don't care whether it survives, I just want the scheme marker' situations.

Would have preferred it say Create within 2" then, given all placed objects already require LoS. I guess the way they did it means you can't even place the marker at all under your base, as auras are drawn from the edge of your base.

Auras aren't even meant to be used for one off effects like this, so why is this an aura? Shouldn't it be a pulse or just have a line about completely in LoS and Range if that distinction is significant?

I don't know, just looks off/inconsistent to me.

2 hours ago, Jinn said:

Would have preferred it say Create within 2" then, given all placed objects already require LoS. I guess the way they did it means you can't even place the marker at all under your base, as auras are drawn from the edge of your base.

Auras aren't even meant to be used for one off effects like this, so why is this an aura? Shouldn't it be a pulse or just have a line about completely in LoS and Range if that distinction is significant?

I don't know, just looks off/inconsistent to me.

II’m pretty sure there’s prior use for “within -aura- X”, versus “within X inches” during M2E.

And I’m not sure the line of sight FAQ applies to drop/create due to the rulebook phrasing.  Personally, I think the -aura- form is safer language.