Tara and 33

Pallas4

Overall I'm intrigued. I'm a bit disappointed in the artwork if i'm being honest. Not much of a change from her current sculpt (looks like a casual jog). Just based on the art, I'd probably just stick with my nightmare version since the base is the same size. 

Obviously activation/board control is going to be her thing and she's going to want to play forward. She doesn't really have a lot going on defense wise but her stats are at least decent. I feel like she's going to struggle against shooting and you'll need to be play really cagey with butterfly jump. Perhaps you'll be leaning on Karina a lot more with this build.

So with Rewind, when would you actually want to suffer the damage? It only works after a full activation so the enemy will have done whatever it wanted to do, so obviously it'll just remove the marker. As a friendly ability, once you've teleported, what use is it to have it stick around? It goes away at the start of the turn anyway. Maybe it is insurance against lures/pushes?

Sticking with Rewind. I do find it awkward that these markers are associated with particular models, so you need to keep track who who owns which marker. Maybe it's not a huge deal, but it's just odd since the marker doesn't actually attach to the affected model. I do think it's a really cool and powerful ability though.     

Expedite is also quite interesting. Being able to pop out 6" (8" with 33 and even more depending on base size) and drop a scheme marker is nice. You could even drop an echo with a model, bury them with stutter time, walk forward, place them Expedite, interact, and then have them teleport back to their original spot. Might be unnecessary, but it sure sounds cool.

My gut reaction is that OG Tara is still likely going to see more play. Loosing 2 actions, summoning and her excellent teleport is a lot to give up. She was an enabler and now she's more of a dis abler. I still think she'll have a place and she looks very interesting. 

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Jordon said:

So with Rewind, when would you actually want to suffer the damage? It only works after a full activation so the enemy will have done whatever it wanted to do, so obviously it'll just remove the marker. As a friendly ability, once you've teleported, what use is it to have it stick around? It goes away at the start of the turn anyway. Maybe it is insurance against lures/pushes?

In addition to that insurance, you also get to use the marker to move to either side of the marker, which might help with positioning for later activating. So I might have the model hidden in cover, "echo" it into space at the end of the activation I want to use it, taking the damage, and then activate it, go and do what I want, and then echo back to safety at the end of its activation.  (even better when you hit the alternative time line trigger)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Jordon said:

Sticking with Rewind. I do find it awkward that these markers are associated with particular models, so you need to keep track who who owns which marker. Maybe it's not a huge deal, but it's just odd since the marker doesn't actually attach to the affected model. I do think it's a really cool and powerful ability though.     

It is, I believe, to prevent Tara placing an enemy 20" away to the Echo marker dropped in the center of her crew.

Rewind seems really powerful offensively. If you something at the edge of her range you can guarantee is going to be even farther out of range on it's next activation. Especially if you get the Alternate Time Line trigger. 

There's usually some novel in a bad position to unburry Glimpse'd models but this is a way to guarantee it. 

On top of her activation control, New Tara looks pretty brutal.

1 hour ago, Jordon said:

I don't think it will be super common but you could use it to get a model out of engagement at the end of Tara's activation, have it do it's thing and then teleport back.

I do like 33, but the 8ss cost is a tough one to swallow. I'm trying to figure out when you'd want to hire him and what you'd be willing to replace.

With incorporeal and Two Places at Once, he can dance around a rather sizable area when paired with an echo marker. Incorporeal means he wont be taking the damage, so you could likely be bouncing around key markers to prevent interactions, charges and blocking LOS.

Or even if you manage to pine box something, you can reposition yourself at the end of your activation. If the opponent then activates, you can dump them off in a potentially bad position.

Love it. It makes my Lucius maining heart sad to see so many masters doing his tricks better, but as I'm playing Tara these days anyway... I like the look of her a lot. 33 is going to be a high skill cap piece, I think.

Mostly I need to see the render on her model because I don't know how they can translate that art in a way that doesn't look dopey, but I really hope it works!

7 hours ago, Jordon said:

Overall I'm intrigued. I'm a bit disappointed in the artwork if i'm being honest. Not much of a change from her current sculpt (looks like a casual jog). Just based on the art, I'd probably just stick with my nightmare version since the base is the same size. 

I agree wholeheartedly (sorry Tara). Even if they go with the Johnny Cage-style echoes on the model, it's still a really boring pose. Nothing says "action and/or menace" like a light jog. She doesn't even have a heart, why is she doing cardio? ;D

Thankfully, Lady J and 33 have AMAZING art, so I can console myself with the nightmare version of Tara. Maybe I'll look at buying some duplicates in the translucent plastic from Gadzooks and make my own echoes.

As for the rules, wow this is a whole different direction, that's for sure. I can definitely see myself yo-yo-ing TNB behind cover after a charge. Rewind could definitely be used to set up an enemy model for Bait and Switch, or a friendly for Claim Jump. I'm excited to see what crazy shenanigans we come up with!

I can't wait to rewind on Mad Dog, giving him 2 damage and fast with the trigger and moving him 2"  (one 1 more damage) at the end of Tara's activation. Then, on his activation he charges with run & gun, shoots 3 times, and teleports back to the safety of the echo marker at the end of his activation. Beautiful! She might operate a little bit like the M2e version of Nellie using rewind to give 1-2 models fast and an escape option. 

• Like 1

Wait, so can you:

1) Rewind TNB, give it Fast;

2) Bury TNB and immediately Expedite it farther away from starting point and make it Charge;

3) Rewind it a second time, so it'd have two Echo markers;

4) At the end of Tara's activation Place TNB near the initial Echo;

5) After opponent activates, place TNB to another Echo that's closer to the enemy. 

Hmmm, I think that is accurate. TNB will lose the initial fast when Expedited but you could give it fast again with the second echo. Even without the second he's taking 2 damage from fast, 2 from echo markers at the end of Tara's activation, another 1 at the end of the opponent's activation (assuming you discarded the first). That's 5 damage if you now discard the second echo marker and don't give him fast for the second time. If you mend with the second one you could drop that to 3 damage. 

There are a lot of options here. It's going to be almost as wonky as OG Tara.  

Wait a sec. Someone pointed out in another thread that Rewind is an attack action so incorporeal works against it! That would mean The Nothing Beast would take only 1 damage in that whole scenario or two if you gave him fast a second time. That would sure keep Tara mostly in keyword. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Trample said:

Wait a sec. Someone pointed out in another thread that Rewind is an attack action so incorporeal works against it! That would mean The Nothing Beast would take only 1 damage in that whole scenario or two if you gave him fast a second time. That would sure keep Tara mostly in keyword. 

Well that and Expedite is friendly Obliteration only.