Misaki, Fractured

Da Git

15 minutes ago, Maogrim said:

I don't think anyone is actually argueing whether the Burning Man would be able to corrupt any human in Malifaux but a) how it could get to Misaki and b) whether it makes sense from a narrative standpoint. 

Concerning a) I suppose it's perfectly viable to assume that something just happens to her out of the blue, like unknowingly walking past one of its portals or powerful minions on her mornig jog to grab coffee and some cinnamon rolls. But some foreshadowing would have been way more elegant. Maybe a corrupted Torakage could have placed an artifact in her quarters. But that should have happened in a previous book.

But b) is more important, I think. What narrative purpose does Misaki's corruption serve and what does it mean for the rest of the faction? Misaki's lieutenants are mostly extremely powerful and intelligent beings. Maybe the Burning Man's influence could sneak past Mei Feng, but what about Shenlong, who is the vessel for a tyrant himself, Yan Lo, who is millenia old and familiar with all kinds of supernatural beings, or the Hungering Darkness who might not be a Tyrant yet but on its way to become one. Were all of them simply occupied while Misaki grew imcreasingly more erratic and ... fractured?  

As burning man tends to be connected to portals of any kinds, the teleport nature of misaki's bury / unbury with shadow markers or the 'personal portal' that the thunders have could be the connection point between them.  I know it's not connected to the lore as much, but from a mechanical stand point there is a similarity between how misaki plays with how the burning man allegiance plays in ToS.

Off topic, but it's part of my reason why I have difficulty getting excited about allegiances other than burning man in ToS, they have all the best toys! (Card manip + teleportation + fire???? who can say no).

I also wonder, while the other masters in Thunders should be able to see signs of madness in her... what would / could they do about it?  It's been a while since I read all the lore, but how would the greater thunders deal with a crazy leader?  Kill em and replace them?  or try and minimize how much damage they do / clean up messes / try and project strength?  Both of which could be difficult if the burning man change is enough that either the status quo is knocked aside (so there's no time to do things bout it), or it helps her win a significant victory.

1 hour ago, muraki said:

As burning man tends to be connected to portals of any kinds, the teleport nature of misaki's bury / unbury with shadow markers or the 'personal portal' that the thunders have could be the connection point between them.  I know it's not connected to the lore as much, but from a mechanical stand point there is a similarity between how misaki plays with how the burning man allegiance plays in ToS.

Off topic, but it's part of my reason why I have difficulty getting excited about allegiances other than burning man in ToS, they have all the best toys! (Card manip + teleportation + fire???? who can say no).

I also wonder, while the other masters in Thunders should be able to see signs of madness in her... what would / could they do about it?  It's been a while since I read all the lore, but how would the greater thunders deal with a crazy leader?  Kill em and replace them?  or try and minimize how much damage they do / clean up messes / try and project strength?  Both of which could be difficult if the burning man change is enough that either the status quo is knocked aside (so there's no time to do things bout it), or it helps her win a significant victory.

That's pretty much my point. Misaki had done away with her father's old generals and replaced them with those who stood loyal to her and her coup - the TT masters we have today, plus Youko who joined her a little later. So Misaki had just consolidated near complete power over the faction. There is no one left to challenge her which makes ot all the more baffling that she is the one to switch. They wouldn't want to turn Ten Thunders into the new Burning Man faction, right? 

My only hope is that with alle the Charm Warders, monks, Yan Lo and Asami there is probably no faction better equipped to eventually exorcize the Burning Man's influence from our esteemed Oyabun's pristine body and soul to make her whole once more.

I haven't followed all the burning man stuff completly but it was created by a merger between Cherulf and the New Tyrant "Authority" (created by former govenor general Kitchener) wasn't it? 

I can see the "Authority" side corrupting Misaki as its not really her natural thing, but when she took over as Obyun she needed to work on it As I remember the story didn't she originally come to Malifaux to avoid her Father and the power/authority that came with being his daughter and I also thought she only defeated him to stop him trying to rule her life, which could lead to the self realisation that she is now doing to others what she hated about her father. But I havn't re-read the stories recently. 

On 8/24/2021 at 8:26 PM, Thatguy said:

I think Sonnia would be a bad choice, she had Cherruf locked in her head for all of first and second Ed. If anyone could resist the burning man, which is apparently like the bigger dumber version, it would be Sonnia.

Yeah, if you look at Nellie's art it is clear that she read the wrong book.... who knows how it got there. But that is why she got corrupted.

I feel Misaki is a good choice, because it progresses her story and is the next trial in her life. Maybe instead of just straight up being a cultist it has led into a sort of split identity, with 1 half doing burning man stuff, and the other half fixing it to prevent the TT from falling apart? We just don't know until the book drops at GenCon (and I for one am buying it immediately =P with ToS box)

• Like 1

On 8/25/2021 at 2:53 PM, Maogrim said:

My only hope is that with all the Charm Warders, monks, Yan Lo and Asami there is probably no faction better equipped to eventually exorcise the Burning Man's influence from our esteemed Oyabun's pristine body and soul to make her whole once more.

That's pretty true. I guess maybe the Ten Thunders will have to end up saving the world again.

• 2 weeks later...

Misaki, the de-facto current leader, earned the position after cutting down her father and his supporters. After she tried to strongarm some small-time thugs, she discovered there was more to being a leader as well the alarming fact there is more under the surface of the Small Kingdom. With Youko pointing her in the Honeypot's direction, things could get VERY heated for the faction again; especially seeing as at least half of the Masters are out there doing their own thing.

On 8/27/2021 at 1:33 PM, Higgybeans said:

Yeah, if you look at Nellie's art it is clear that she read the wrong book.... who knows how it got there. But that is why she got corrupted.

I feel Misaki is a good choice, because it progresses her story and is the next trial in her life. Maybe instead of just straight up being a cultist it has led into a sort of split identity, with 1 half doing burning man stuff, and the other half fixing it to prevent the TT from falling apart? We just don't know until the book drops at GenCon (and I for one am buying it immediately =P with ToS box)

I like your outlook on this, this development could make or break the story of the TT in some amazing ways. And if overcome, we could come out stronger because of it!

• Like 2

Going back to the "kinda sucks to see faction leader Misaki subverted by the Burning Man", I'm glad it looks like his influence has left her...unwell...but not a fully subjugated cultist. We actually seem to have gotten a decent spread; it looks like Nellie, Reva, Kaeris, Parker, and Maxine are all pro-Burning Man in their own fashions while Euripides, Misaki, and Ulix have been impacted in different ways.

I came back to take a second look at OyabunSaki and it's still a great both artistically and mechanically. The abilities mesh and flow well together and I probably have yet to discover more interesting ways to use them. Her look is great, as mentioned before (I think?) she looks like one of the Oiran/Kunoichi (and that's one of my most beloved models in the game, extremely beautiful, hands down, hard to contest).

9 hours ago, HomelessOne said:

it looks like Nellie, Reva, Kaeris, Parker, and Maxine are all pro-Burning Man in their own fashions while Euripides, Misaki, and Ulix have been impacted in different ways.

I'm really lad to see that not all of them are 100% subjugated and all the changes tie up with the story pretty well.

So if i understand right, once per activation, at the end of any non-charge action (or if the model gain fast) you can drop a shadow marker? Doesnt matter if they concentrate, move, attack (:melee or :ranged) or any tactical? 

This look amazing. How many shadows can you drop a turn? If both players go with 8 models would be like 16 shadows plus any other than you drop with your actions.

4 hours ago, belorey said:

So if i understand right, once per activation, at the end of any non-charge action (or if the model gain fast) you can drop a shadow marker?

No, is is they take an action generated by an effect. Like if they get an attack from an Obey, Flurry or Coordinated Attack or any Action that generates another Action other than Charge (which generates an attack)

Still it means Misaki and co are dropping a lot. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Thunder Archers have a :tome trigger on their bonus action to take the Concentrate Action, which would drop a Shadow Marker in base contact with them setting them up for Shadow Pin on their Blessed Longbow. Also enemies disengaging generates a Disengaging Strike, which would allow you to get concealing if a model like MDB tries to Disengage + shoot you. It also disincentivizes enemies trying to stop you from Disengaging, as it'll set up Wilting Tsubaki/Wrapped in Darkness and a bunch of other things.

6 hours ago, Thatguy said:

No, is is they take an action generated by an effect. Like if they get an attack from an Obey, Flurry or Coordinated Attack or any Action that generates another Action other than Charge (which generates an attack)

Still it means Misaki and co are dropping a lot. 

But its once per activation. So if you have 8 models with 3 model obeys a turn its only 11 dropped per turn. And thats also not taking into account the interactions that remove them.

I think generating that many could be a trap as there are better things to focus on with this master.

1 hour ago, fanteegi said:

But its once per activation. So if you have 8 models with 3 model obeys a turn its only 11 dropped per turn. And thats also not taking into account the interactions that remove them.

I think generating that many could be a trap as there are better things to focus on with this master.

Not many of your models are going to have ways to generate actions (and they're usually triggers), so you're very rarely going to generate that many markers per turn with Spreading Influence, unless you're facing Bandit or Monk or something that spams Fast/Concentrate.

It might be worth it to hire Sensei Yu in an Archer spam list to give Shouting Orders + Fast, and get great card draw with Good for a Laugh on Hurricane Punch. Very expensive though. 

1 minute ago, Jinn said:

Not many of your models are going to have actions/abilities that generate actions (and they're usually triggers), so you're very rarely going to generate that many markers per turn with Spreading Influence, unless you're facing Bandit or Monk or something that spams Fast/Concentrate.

It might be worth it to hire Sensei Yu in an Archer spam list to give Shouting Orders + Fast, and get great card draw with Good for a Laugh on Hurricane Punch. Very expensive though. 

My bad. I failed to read the ability properly and answered incorrectly. I thought it was directly a non-charge action rather than generated by..

Ok i was thinking i would see a table full of shadows but i need to check which Last Blossom models can generate extra actions for shadows.

Misaki 2 with obeys etc.

Wokou Rider: Coordinated attack

Torakage: Onslaught on his shooting

Thunder Archer: Inner peace trigger

Crimen Boss: Pressure action and Gang Warfare trigger.

And this is all, i think most if this extra actions are very situational. Am i wrong? There are other ways that i don't see?

26 minutes ago, belorey said:

Ok i was thinking i would see a table full of shadows but i need to check which Last Blossom models can generate extra actions for shadows.

Misaki 2 with obeys etc.

And this is all, i think most if this extra actions are very situational. Am i wrong? There are other ways that i don't see?

Masked agent upgrade using the mask trigger.

Edit: since it is fast too, Shang (and others) Assassin ability.

24 minutes ago, belorey said:

Misaki 2 with obeys etc.

I think that's about it.

But you will also get it from regular actions that generate shadow markers, like Ninja Vanish, or when anything with Assassin kills something. Your crew could conservatively be dropping 5 a turn without any real effort. And your enemy will probably help you out by dropping more. 

53 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I think that's about it.

But you will also get it from regular actions that generate shadow markers, like Ninja Vanish, or when anything with Assassin kills something. Your crew could conservatively be dropping 5 a turn without any real effort. And your enemy will probably help you out by dropping more. 

O sure with Torakages, Ototo and new enforcer you can get more shadows. But i was thinking about this abilitie.