Misaki, Fractured

Da Git

Our poor Oyabun. What has the burning man done to you?? 😢

Kinda surprised this wasn't Mei. Kinda felt that the pressure of being forced to stay in Malifaux against her will may have driven her into his (warm) arms (of love). Plus she already likes the heat.

That said, I do like the art. I don't know why, but she deffo looks kinda aged...

932648267_0TTLastBlossom-MisakiFractured.thumb.jpg.f6d46cea33cb2f4a31e8fe94c53bc6ac.jpg

5 minutes ago, Pallas4 said:

To be honest I think this art is little too close to

image.thumb.png.03b6e7d2fc5447fc35db01a785fc66da.png

But after all... why not? In TT Misaki1 is one on my favorite master. I hope I'll like to play with Misaki2 too.

That was one of my initial impressions too. Still can't fault a good pose!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Maogrim said:

From a lore perspective I hate this. Misaki was always examplary by her iron will. Now she gets corrupted by a force that she has no connection to.

Mei would have made so much more sense.

That's something of an issue with all the factions, though - I don't think anyone besides Sonnia Criid (former host to one half of the Burning Man), Kaeris (Elijah and the Firebranded being cultists) and possibly Jack Daw (Outcast Vignettes from Breachside Broadcast) has had any contact with the Burning Man at all.

Just now, HomelessOne said:

Maxine, too. Studying Cult of the Burning Man literature and using one of the Burning Man's portals to reach Malifaux had her introduced as very susceptible to future corruption.

Right, I forgot her. Sorry Max.

But anyway, that still leaves Ressers, Neverborn, Bayou and Thunders with no obvious target for corruption.

11 hours ago, aquenaton said:

Also, I would like to say that Reva (the tainted Resser one) had connections with fire (game-wise this edition at least) but seemed like one (if not the only) sane character in the resser faction. She had a very strong will and those around her felt compelled to follow her into anything, so she reached for the poor and needed (and dead). Her fall is also a very sad one, as we lose someone who seemed to be a beacon of hope.

Hey! She's just progressing in the proverb of Light a man a fire and he's warm for a night. Teach him to light a fire and his warm as long as he has resources. Light him on fire and his warm for every second of the rest of his life!

Seriously though, I was also saddened by Reva joining the Burning Man... I wanted her to be more affilliated with something else... Maybe the opposing side of the Grave Spirit? The Restful Dead Spirit :P

11 hours ago, aquenaton said:

About Misaki, we do not know yet what happened to her. Maybe she did not get lobotomized by the Burning Man, but maybe her empire got fractured by the chaos it caused around, so she saw all the organization succumbing to madness and needed to step back from punching people and had to learn to control everything in a different way. Time will tell!

This is a good point. Things are definitely starting to fragment in the 10T with Mei wanting to run off back Earthside and some happenings going on at the Honeypot... I just hope she doesn't go cray cray or body horror hentai like the ToS Cult models!

Same for Reva. At least their art doesn't suggest they are unlike Nellie's and Maxine's.

• Agree 2

50 minutes ago, Da Git said:

This is a good point. Things are definitely starting to fragment in the 10T with Mei wanting to run off back Earthside and some happenings going on at the Honeypot... I just hope she doesn't go cray cray or body horror hentai like the ToS Cult models!

You think there's even a sliver of a hope that that mask doesn't conceal face tentacles?

• Haha 3

But Misaki had just regained control by uncovering Mei's plot and defeating her in an honorable duel. And she's closely allied with Youko now who should be able and seems willing to help Misaki maintain a closer hold on the organization.

Granted, McCabe has also started feeling more at home with the Explorers, but that is also something Youko should be able to find out sooner or later.

I don't know, I just don't like the prospect of the Thunder's sole leader being the one corrupted. I don't think something similarly drastic is happening to the other factions.

I am quite interested in seeing the alternate versions for Jakob, Youko and Mei though (as well as Hamelin and Colette). Don't think any of them had been shown already?!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Maogrim said:

But Misaki had just regained control by uncovering Mei's plot and defeating her in an honorable duel. And she's closely allied with Youko now who should be able and seems willing to help Misaki maintain a closer hold on the organization.

Granted, McCabe has also started feeling more at home with the Explorers, but that is also something Youko should be able to find out sooner or later.

I don't know, I just don't like the prospect of the Thunder's sole leader being the one corrupted. I don't think something similarly drastic is happening to the other factions.

I am quite interested in seeing the alternate versions for Jakob, Youko and Mei though (as well as Hamelin and Colette). Don't think any of them had been shown already?!

Well, we do have some issues with who to corrupt.

Because of reasons, Wyrd has decided to not make any Dual-faction Masters corrupted. That takes Yan Lo, Mei, and McCabe out of the equation.

Of the five remaining Masters, Lynch and Misaki are the only ones who've had any contact with the Burning Man in the past (in a roundabout way; I don't think either actually knew what was going on during A Man Burns). And of the two, I think Lynch would have more protection from the Hungering Darkness. But by that logic, I would also expect Sonnia to be corrupted instead of Nellie, so who knows what the decision process was...

On 8/22/2021 at 7:06 AM, Mangod said:

Well, we do have some issues with who to corrupt.

Because of reasons, Wyrd has decided to not make any Dual-faction Masters corrupted. That takes Yan Lo, Mei, and McCabe out of the equation.

Of the five remaining Masters, Lynch and Misaki are the only ones who've had any contact with the Burning Man in the past (in a roundabout way; I don't think either actually knew what was going on during A Man Burns). And of the two, I think Lynch would have more protection from the Hungering Darkness. But by that logic, I would also expect Sonnia to be corrupted instead of Nellie, so who knows what the decision process was...

if you cut duel faction, and Lynch/Shenlong, who are both already under the influence of a Tyrant, you've got Youko, Asami and Misaki. I personally would have thrown Youko under the bus, and not had it be the faction leader.

I think Sonnia would be a bad choice, she had Cherruf locked in her head for all of first and second Ed. If anyone could resist the burning man, which is apparently like the bigger dumber version, it would be Sonnia.

The Burning Man is a brain-blasting eldritch horror; simply being anywhere near Him can be enough to induce mental and/or physical changes in those sensitive to the impact TBM has on reality. There's no need to be fire themed or have a specific personality - His contamination simply needs a crack to seep through. Just reading a book penned by the head cultist was enough to permanently alter Maxine's mind and leave her vulnerable to what was to come.

The Hungering Darkness isn't a Tyrant, btw.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone is actually argueing whether the Burning Man would be able to corrupt any human in Malifaux but a) how it could get to Misaki and b) whether it makes sense from a narrative standpoint. 

Concerning a) I suppose it's perfectly viable to assume that something just happens to her out of the blue, like unknowingly walking past one of its portals or powerful minions on her mornig jog to grab coffee and some cinnamon rolls. But some foreshadowing would have been way more elegant. Maybe a corrupted Torakage could have placed an artifact in her quarters. But that should have happened in a previous book.

But b) is more important, I think. What narrative purpose does Misaki's corruption serve and what does it mean for the rest of the faction? Misaki's lieutenants are mostly extremely powerful and intelligent beings. Maybe the Burning Man's influence could sneak past Mei Feng, but what about Shenlong, who is the vessel for a tyrant himself, Yan Lo, who is millenia old and familiar with all kinds of supernatural beings, or the Hungering Darkness who might not be a Tyrant yet but on its way to become one. Were all of them simply occupied while Misaki grew imcreasingly more erratic and ... fractured?