Ulix is so hot right now

GrumpyGrandpa

• 1 month later...

The Riding Ulix is more aggressive compare to the origin Ulix. His Pigs now can gives out Burning to boost their damage output. The Pigs of Fire does specify that the move must be inside an Action, means 12 Cups of Coffee wouldn't help here.

Emblazoned is his new way to grow up a Pig. Since the replacement is based on Sz, so he can grow a Sz 1 Piglet directly into a Sz 3 War Pig by pushing it through 2 models with Burning, friendly or enemy regardless. Note that the Sz+X is not an option but a fixed number instead, means that if a Piglet moved through 3 models, it must be replaced into a Sz 4 Pig minion, which is not yet exist.

His bow is imo more impactful than his melee attack, despite having lower damage track. It can give out Adversary(Beast) which, combined with Covered in Slop ability, can give Shielded to friendly Pig per damage it deals to the enemy. The attack also has a non-built-in trigger to hands out burning in a pulse. Note that the trigger doesn't restrict on enemy, so you can shoot a friendly model to set nearby enemies on fire.

One thing to note is that, Riding Ulix is now a Pig. Means that he can benefit from all support from his crew. Go Hog Wild from Old Major, Kept at a Distance from Penelope, Swineherd from Hog Whisperer and etc. Beware that Riding Ulix cannot be targeted by Herd 'em because he is the leader (presumingly). You can however beat him with Hog Whisperer and use the Stick 'em trigger to take an Action.

So all in all I think this Ulix, put aside the power level, is more interesting to play than classic Ulix. All of his Actions have similar value. Hence he has plenty options to spend his Action and playstyle can be vary in different player's hand.

Edited by Rufess
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hog whisperer Will be really good with new Ulix. They're now the only model that give extra melee range. Gracie can help them to keep up with the rest of the crew.

The new models is a nice tech piece against severe heavy map. Unfortunately him being the only source of underbrush we won't have a lot of mileage from forest fungus.

Pere ravage is an interesting idea to have a War Pig t1. I'm not sure it worth 8ss though. 

21 minutes ago, SEV said:

Hog whisperer Will be really good with new Ulix. They're now the only model that give extra melee range. Gracie can help them to keep up with the rest of the crew.

The new models is a nice tech piece against severe heavy map. Unfortunately him being the only source of underbrush we won't have a lot of mileage from forest fungus.

Pere ravage is an interesting idea to have a War Pig t1. I'm not sure it worth 8ss though. 

Merris might be better, flaming bottle, and can then fly off and do other things

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

On 9/17/2021 at 9:20 PM, SEV said:

Pigs of fire (on Ulix) seems to be easy enough to get the fire on the enemies rather than bringing in extra help.

Yeah exactly. You can bring Merris and 3 piglets. Set everybody on fire with her shockwave (you only need to fail 2 duels out of 4 wich is easy enough if you cheat a low card), and transform a piglet in to a warpig on t1... nice value. Your 2 othe piglets can be grow later or go dies somewhere for a scheme. Meris is actually a fine models by herself. So I think this package worth 16ss (it also work with less piglets). With Bo peep, a slop hauler and Ulix himself you should be able to keep everything healthy. 

• 3 weeks later...

Think I found a couple of loopholes with Bacon Beeline and Emblazoned. So the criteria to grow are:

1. Turn into a minion
  2. Higher cost
  3. Size of OG pig + the number of enemy models with Burning pushed through

Well, 0 is a number.  So does this mean that you can Bacon Beeline a Squeeler through no enemies and emblazon them into a Wild Boar? Same question for turning Gracie into a War Pig?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Da Git said:

Think I found a couple of loopholes with Bacon Beeline and Emblazoned. So the criteria to grow are:

1. Turn into a minion
  2. Higher cost
  3. Size of OG pig + the number of enemy models with Burning pushed through

Well, 0 is a number.  So does this mean that you can Bacon Beeline a Squeeler through no enemies and emblazon them into a Wild Boar? Same question for turning Gracie into a War Pig?

I guess so. Is it a problem?

You could have made them Grow up strong before, which might have needed a higher card, but didn't need the suit, so maybe comparable?

Similar use of the clause can also turn Gracie or The Sow into Warpigs, if they've already activated and you really need the extra movement from Deadly Pursuit at end of T5, or more in the case of the Sow, need something a little easier to kill for Bacon Demise.

Heck, if they haven't activated, changing Gracie from Mv4 to Mv6, might make all the difference. It's basically an extra ~12" of potential movement. Beeline being 18" without the trigger, ~30" with. The extras being +2 to Move x3 actions with Reckless, the ~2" from the replace, and the 4 from Deadly Pursuit.

Now, there's an argument that ~18" and ~30" might not be that different (as it covers most of the board depending on where you start), but it does allow in the second case for something along the way, like the dropping/eating of Markers, or a side trip to kill a particularly troublesome model.

So it's something to keep in the toolbox of ideas.

• Like 1

Didn't bring it up because I thought it was a problem (no idea, never really played with or against Ulix... the only reason I am looking at him is because he'll be in Titania's box!), but because it seemed like a loophole that I hadn't seen others talking about and wanted to clarify that it it worked that way.

A generalist sort of crew I was looking at was:

New Ulix Turner Crew (Bayou)
Size: 50 - Pool: 5
Leader:
  Ulix Turner, Porkbelly Protector
Totem(s):
  Penelope
Hires:
  Hog Whisperer 4
  Old Major
  Gracie
  War Pig
    Inferiority Complex
  Squealer
  Squealer 2

Got some good ranged play between Ulix and the 2 squealers (who can then easily be upgraded.

Hog Whisperer's there so 1" melee units can't tie me up with the pigs' 0". Summons Piglets, Obeys.

Gracie is her taxi and then tank (although has great damage when combined with Major and can be turned into War Pig as needed.

Old Major is mostly there for the melee buff, but can beat himself.

War pig is a flanker who can (literally) eat their small stuff and then go for the support. Will probably get Beelined up first turn.

Ulix will probably go early-ish to set up Advesary (combined with Old Major for basically free Focused!) but always has the option of running in and beating face. Nice that he can shoot even if out engaged by a longer reach.

The real cost is you have a maximum of 5 upgrades replacements in the game. Do you want to use one on such a relatively minimal improvement? Sometimes that's a yes, but I don't think it is in all games. 

Edited by Adran
Edited to remove the word upgrade as the action doesn't use game upgrades.
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I'm not sure I understand. Ulix doesn't attach upgrades. 

It's a replace action. They don't even get a summoning token.

Sorry, I was using "upgrades" in the Colloquial form, not the game form. 

Ulix can only do a maximum of 5 replaces during the game. These have the possibility to change a 3 cost model into a 9 cost model, as well as doing damage to the enemy at the same time. To turn a squealer into a wild boar is using one of those 5 possible replacements to just "upgrade" 2ss. In most cases you would be better to try and turn it into a warpig I would have thought. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I'm not sure I understand. Ulix doesn't attach upgrades. 

It's a replace action. They don't even get a summoning token.

I was confused too. I think he means that you've only got 5 bonus actions to grow a pig throughout the game.

I'm not sure if it's worth the price of doing all the burning tricks with Merris or Pere early game and jump through hoops to grow turn 1 when I can use it to set up my game plan with just the movement boost. Otherwise turning a Sqealer into a wild boar is fine

4 hours ago, Adran said:

Sorry, I was using "upgrades" in the Colloquial form, not the game form. 

Ulix can only do a maximum of 5 replaces during the game. These have the possibility to change a 3 cost model into a 9 cost model, as well as doing damage to the enemy at the same time. To turn a squealer into a wild boar is using one of those 5 possible replacements to just "upgrade" 2ss. In most cases you would be better to try and turn it into a warpig I would have thought. 

Gotcha. 

I think it depends. If you want to upgrade models turn 1-2 it means setting your own models on fire. So you would get 6ss "upgrades" but at the cost of like a 7ss OoK model and some wounds in you own guys.

• Agree 1