Zoraida the swamp hag and the Kurgan

Korrok

New Zoraida seems interesting enough, got all but the carrion effigy for her summons, but I'll be needing some gupps if I intend to play her.

The Kurgan being inherently neverborn is probably the most interesting part of this reveal though. I have a feeling it might make its way into quite a few of my lists even out of keyword🤔

interesting.

on the puppets side:

misterious effigy: lure

shadow effigy: make zoraida interact then interact with any other swampifued you need to.

vodoo dol: you can still use it and sometimes is what you need

brutal effigy: pine box to disasembly a buble

intrepid effigy: mobility and healing

lucky effigy: cheat from deck. slow on enemies

mannequin: intant protection easy 2 hits.   healing

arcane effigy: condition removal and protect from cheating.

we can agree thats a lot of versatility and all of them easy can take 3 hits so quite expensive to eliminate them.

on the other stuff:

Moth witch: copying a general action across the map is really good. interact or move most of the times. but thats is real action eficiency. even better using shadow effigy ap instead of zoraida to create multiple interactions across the land

seal fate: brutal. first turn will prevent the strongest enemy from trying a back to back atack and in next turns will be more about what cant activate after zoraida than what have to activate

Well when Z hit the Doll, it's a guaranteed stun on the Mojo target. This can be a potent combo with Stench + other discards.

I can totally see game when you don't summon the vodoo doll thoug... this is strange because Z2 can spend the entire game without a totem. 

Okay, I've thought about it and come to the conclusion that at least as a Molly player, I'm far more scared of this Zoraida than the other one.

Mood swings is one of the most powerful auras in the game, and now this Zoraida gets it on any opponent on the board (albeit once)?? Insane.

You can't changeling it (fortunately? Unfortunately?), but it is still insanely good.

I think I'd have to consider becoming a Zoraida main if the effigy situation didn't suck so much xD

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

... Could Wyrd just release a box with all 8 effigies (or at least the 7 non-neverborn effigies) and the First Mate?

If they do, I'm buying the keyword!

The expansiveness of the keyword is why I haven't picked her up tbh. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Hawkoon said:

New Zoraida seems interesting enough, got all but the carrion effigy for her summons, but I'll be needing some gupps if I intend to play her.

The Kurgan being inherently neverborn is probably the most interesting part of this reveal though. I have a feeling it might make its way into quite a few of my lists even out of keyword🤔

Isn't Kurgan a bit awkward outside of its keywords? I mean, Mudslide is arguably its biggest thing but it's kinda difficult to use if you have lots of non-Swampfiends (and non-Seekers) running around. Especially since Kurgan's other abilities mean that friendlies like to hang around it.

2 minutes ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Isn't Kurgan a bit awkward outside of its keywords? I mean, Mudslide is arguably its biggest thing but it's kinda difficult to use if you have lots of non-Swampfiends (and non-Seekers) running around. Especially since Kurgan's other abilities mean that friendlies like to hang around it.

It potentially combos realllllly well with the mysterious emissary. Should be possible to give the emissary another 8" without too many shenanigans, or more with some decent shenanigans.

2 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

It potentially combos realllllly well with the mysterious emissary. Should be possible to give the emissary another 8" without too many shenanigans, or more with some decent shenanigans.

Yeah, it seems that it was made very specifically for Mysterious Emissary synergy. But still, I'm not sure which non-Zoiraida Neverborn crew would hire Kurgan - 9 SS is quite a lot.

In the European Team Championship I did play on a table that was 80% forests, though...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

I would argue that mudslide is far from the biggest thing about it. The reason I would take Kurgan ook is because it can move about your models with ease with shifting earth, avalanche and chronicle. 

Nephilim for instance have a hard time doing interacts if engaged. Just being within 6" of Kurgan when they activate will allow for its chronicle to trigger off regenerate, and they can push 2" before they even take any actions. Freeing, say, a young nephilim to move, interact and use fly with me.

Other uses can be to shove slow models like Killjoy or Candy really far up the board early in the game.

Edit: If you give the kurgan a little push from frightening reminder or similar, you can move another model ~14"-15" turn 1 and partially ignoring terrain and other models with Shifting earth -> Avalanche, and still have 1 AP and his bonus left that activation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm eager to play Krugan with Titania!! I'll gladly pay 9ss for that set of ability.

Aeslin + Emissary + Krugan + Rex is a great base for a Titania elite. Krugan and Rex give extra movement to your less mobile pieces wich, I think, will benefit Aeslin greatly (or maybe something like killjoy, but I don't think it's enough to make it good).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fire5tone said:

Dopple changelings can't grab lost knowledge because you have to list a model by name

Sometimes the intricacies of Malifaux can be frustrating.

Changeling says the Action can't name a model.

Lost Knowledge doesn't require a model to be named. It's two triggers do, but triggers are at least kinda separate from an Action (some actions have different available triggers).

While I can definitely see the logic that restricts it, it wouldn't have been my intuitive reaction, and I can see a lot of people not on the boards misinterpreting it too.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Morgan Vening said:

Sometimes the intricacies of Malifaux can be frustrating.

Changeling says the Action can't name a model.

Lost Knowledge doesn't require a model to be named. It's two triggers do, but triggers are at least kinda separate from an Action (some actions have different available triggers).

While I can definitely see the logic that restricts it, it wouldn't have been my intuitive reaction, and I can see a lot of people not on the boards misinterpreting it too.

Alas this is the issue. The triggers are part of the action, this is the reason why nobody can obey a pigapult to launch themselves, and why malifaux child can steal the hodgepodge effigy heal, but not the Emmy.

It's frustrating, but this ones blocked too

52 minutes ago, fire5tone said:

Alas this is the issue. The triggers are part of the action, this is the reason why nobody can obey a pigapult to launch themselves, and why malifaux child can steal the hodgepodge effigy heal, but not the Emmy.

It's frustrating, but this ones blocked too

In this case, it is probably a good thing it is blocked. It'd be sooooooo good xD

That trigger is the main reason I'd want to declare this Zoraida I reckon xD

4 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

In this case, it is probably a good thing it is blocked. It'd be sooooooo good xD

That trigger is the main reason I'd want to declare this Zoraida I reckon xD

Yeah... No range / LOS on that trigger make it awesome. This could lead to huge swing and will make it extra important to win the initiative on key turns against Z2.

Edit standard Z turn :

interact to drop a scheme; have an other model drop a scheme and an other interact (strat/scheme/denia).

lost knowledge on the scheme marker you just drop. Stone for mask if needed. Draw 2 cards and select a useless model to activate next.

Lost knowledge to summon an effigy removing the other scheme dropped (intrepid, shadow or lucky seems the most likely). 

Bonus action to buff key beater.

Draw a card.

The useless model activate.

you activate you effigy than accomplice in to your buffed beater to kill a key model.

Your oponent rage quit / flip the table. 

You need two 5 and a 7 (and 2 stones if you don't have any tome/mask) to do this... no resist. 

Hmmm... If i'm not mistaken, to buy zoraida's summons +keyword, it costs ~$400 (assuming you can pick up the older editions where you can grab effigies solo and cheap mannequins)...

Was just running the numbers and thought I'd share.

If you convert a Silurid to a First Mate you can knock off $50 or so.

And doesn't account for the new title.

19 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Hmmm... If i'm not mistaken, to buy zoraida's summons +keyword, it costs ~$400 (assuming you can pick up the older editions where you can grab effigies solo and cheap mannequins)...

Was just running the numbers and thought I'd share.

If you convert a Silurid to a First Mate you can knock off $50 or so.

And doesn't account for the new title.

A mere Silurid will never be the real TFM... Never!

Yeah, but we need to wait and see if there's any repackaging that come with the new title... I can't believe Wyrd will ask there customers to buy 8 boxes just to get the effigy...

But even with a repackaged, Swampfiend is still an expensive keyword spread on 2 factions (fortunately those are the 2 factions I play).

1 minute ago, SEV said:

A mere Silurid will never be the real TFM... Never!

Yeah, but we need to wait and see if there's any repackaging that come with the new title... I can't believe Wyrd will ask there customers to buy 8 boxes just to get the effigy...

But even with a repackaged, Swampfiend is still an expensive keyword spread on 2 factions (fortunately those are the 2 factions I play).

Oh, this is the discounted calculation (with effigies being $11 apiece except the intrepid).