Yan Lo The spirit walker and kenshiro.

New title and a new enforcer for our favorite lich. Make sure to note yans reliquary has to go on a retainer minion specifically. Makes me feel this Yan will want more minions, or at least toshiro for summoning some. Got a nice obey that's more effective for friends and can also give others relequarys like chiaki. Stole dreamers gun so he can mess up armored models if needed. He's like a little ghost balloon tied to one of his minions as they run around. 

M3E_Card_Kenshiro_4512.jpg

M3E_Card_YanLo_5465.jpg

• Like 2

Soooooo much to unpack on the new Yan lo!

Some thoughts:

• That laugh off is critical to the upgrade (or they could throw your master all over the table xD)
    • Obeys can still wreck you
  • The ability to split reliquaries without drawing the right suit is amazing.
    • And potential for two reliquaries if you get the suit for chiaki.
    • And you can now split Chiaki's reliquary.
  • The reliquaries are still absolute powerhouses out of keyword, so I think we'll see a fair bit of OOK experimentation.
    • Manipulative on sybelle?
    • Armor on hanged or archie?
    • Armor and manipulative both combo with hard to wound, so tons of options there.
    • UNIMPEDED ON AN UPGRADE???
  • However there's obviously some good synergy with having Yan Lo minions.
    • Is this where we finally see Toshiro played in keyword a lot?
      • I'm picturing a build with Toshiro, Hanged, Izamu, and a bunch of minions?
  • You need some powerhouses in keyword so that Yan Lo can obey them...
  • Passive card draw, solid scheme marker tech... And extra AP from the minions.
  • HOLE IN THE WORLD TRIGGER WHAT THE SHIT AMAZING

There is SO much room to experiment... Here's an attempt at a list:

• Toshiro, The Daimyo
  • Izamu The Armor
  • Chiaki, The Beacon
  • Hanged
  • Ashigaru
  • Ashigaru 2
  • 5 stones

Just off the top of my head, but you can see how many powerful combos you can fit into a list.

I like that. Marker play which old Lo doesn't have, a second avenue to apply Reliquaries (it was frustrating to spend multiple SS turn one for Chiaki), great card manipulation and some reasons to include more than the bare minimum of minions. Stat 7 obey also really strong. His movement shenanigans also look fun, many possibilities for great plays but still something the opponent can influence. 

Now I'm much more happy to have bought the full crew earlier this year. 

Old Lo already plays a lot in-keyword, a little bit of room for versatile/OOK hires is good for an alternative version, imho. Especially since you still want at least some keywordword models. 

• Like 1

So which minion do yall think will be best to give his balloon string to? Ashigaru obviously have take the hit and extended reach so that's super useful, but no empty vessel. Komainu have armor 2, take the hit, and can benefit from the bonuses for having the reliquary so they are move 7 with all those plus flips. Gokudo also get the speed boost but don't provide nearly as much defensively for Yan. Thoughts? 

49 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Soooooo much to unpack on the new Yan lo

I don't think you can give the relequary to ook models with any of the actions. So you can't hand hanged armor unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, Korrok said:

I don't think you can give the relequary to ook models with any of the actions. So you can't hand hanged armor unfortunately. 

Yan Lo's reliquary is restricted, but every existing reliquary can be handed to any model (other than the named model of the reliquary) with the New Guardian action.

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Yan Lo's reliquary is restricted, but every existing reliquary can be handed to any model (other than the named model of the reliquary) with the New Guardian action.

Ah! That's an aspect I missed. Thanks for that! 

• Like 1

Tried out new Yan Lo today (first time playing any Yan Lo crew I think).

OOoooooo, boy, the crew has a lot of tools.

Yan Lo's activations are pretty devastating

• Final wishes is insane. Very easy to set up a severe hit with like a Komainu.
    • And I didn't even realise it allows you to discard cards xD
    • The reliquary trigger also makes it easy to gain value off of it
  • Weary road is so much value, as Yan Lo can move a huge distance by moving his anchor.
  • Obey - well, we all know the power of this action.
    • It is overall weaker than the obeys of other models due to the lack of a built-in mask unless you jump through hoops.
    • BUT it allows some crazy plays with komainu, including passing the reliquary during Yan Lo's activation.
  • Twist reality is pretty good, but I didn't end up using it much.
    • It is a bit of a poor master action without triggers, and I didn't want to stone for triggers.
    • Once I was good with the crew, I assume Final Wishes could smooth this out.
    • I did get a clutch stun with it at one point, which was super good.

Double komainu felt like everything I needed, minion wise.

• I played them a bit backline since I knew the crew was vulnerable to losing the Komainu.
  • Between the two of them, Yan Lo was online for everything he wanted to do, and they could pass the reliquary back and forth.
  • Komainu felt really good with the move 7, the armor, the solid attacks to combo with the focused, etc.
    • I didn't breath of fire much because I'd rather charge.
  • Charging with anchors is SO efficient:
    • Move the anchor
    • Move Yan Lo
    • Get an attack
    • That's basically 3 ap worth of value out of one action.
      • Four if you are using obey + focus.
  • Overall, 2 Komainu feels like a super solid base.

The rest of the crew I'm still figuring out.

• I had Manos, Yin, Izamu, Sun.
  • Sun feels a bit slow without all the movement shenanigans of original Yan Lo + Chiaki, so I'm not certain he was the best model (it was corner deployment).
  • Manos died virtually instantly from misplays and a red joker from the enemy.
  • Izamu felt somewhat weak, but actually lived longer than I expected.
  • Yin was awesome, and scored multiple points.

I really rate Yin in this crew for the extra interact. I assume Manos is amazing like he is with Molly, but need more testing. Izamu I felt has too many mobility issues, but DOES offer a solid way to contest a particular point on the board... But then just dies SO easily.

Overall, the crew felt like it has loads of potential and was an absolute blast to play.

EDIT: I should add I'm not certain that reliquary shenanigans are necessary. Just hiring a good crew and letting Yan Lo play with two komainu that can pass his reliquary as needed seemed plenty strong.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

• Move the anchor
    • Move Yan Lo
    • Get an attack

Remember that charging is a push, not a move.

57 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Tried out new Yan Lo today (first time playing any Yan Lo crew I think).

OOoooooo, boy, the crew has a lot of tools.

Yan Lo's activations are pretty devastating

• Final wishes is insane. Very easy to set up a severe hit with like a Komainu.
    • And I didn't even realise it allows you to discard cards xD
    • The reliquary trigger also makes it easy to gain value off of it
  • Weary road is so much value, as Yan Lo can move a huge distance by moving his anchor.
  • Obey - well, we all know the power of this action.
    • It is overall weaker than the obeys of other models due to the lack of a built-in mask unless you jump through hoops.
    • BUT it allows some crazy plays with komainu, including passing the reliquary during Yan Lo's activation.
  • Twist reality is pretty good, but I didn't end up using it much.
    • It is a bit of a poor master action without triggers, and I didn't want to stone for triggers.
    • Once I was good with the crew, I assume Final Wishes could smooth this out.
    • I did get a clutch stun with it at one point, which was super good.

Double komainu felt like everything I needed, minion wise.

• I played them a bit backline since I knew the crew was vulnerable to losing the Komainu.
  • Between the two of them, Yan Lo was online for everything he wanted to do, and they could pass the reliquary back and forth.
  • Komainu felt really good with the move 7, the armor, the solid attacks to combo with the focused, etc.
    • I didn't breath of fire much because I'd rather charge.
    • Move the anchor
    • Move Yan Lo
    • Get an attack
  • Overall, 2 Komainu feels like a super solid base.

The rest of the crew I'm still figuring out.

• I had Manos, Yin, Izamu, Sun.
  • Sun feels a bit slow without all the movement shenanigans of original Yan Lo + Chiaki, so I'm not certain he was the best model (it was corner deployment).
  • Manos died virtually instantly from misplays and a red joker from the enemy.
  • Izamu felt somewhat weak, but actually lived longer than I expected.
  • Yin was awesome, and scored multiple points.

I really rate Yin in this crew for the extra interact. I assume Manos is amazing like he is with Molly, but need more testing. Izamu I felt has too many mobility issues, but DOES offer a solid way to contest a particular point on the board... But then just dies SO easily.

Overall, the crew felt like it has loads of potential and was an absolute blast to play.

EDIT: I should add I'm not certain that reliquary shenanigans are necessary. Just hiring a good crew and letting Yan Lo play with two komainu that can pass his reliquary as needed seemed plenty strong.

Izamu dying was one of the things old Yan was so good at since he could just bring him back at full health as if nothing happened. What did you play against? 

1 minute ago, kalcan said:

Remember that charging is a push, not a move.

Pushes are a category of movement (as are places). So if you take the hit for instance and place, yan lo moves.

If the enemy tosses your komainu and you forget you have laugh off, yan lo moves xD

1 minute ago, Korrok said:

Izamu dying was one of the things old Yan was so good at since he could just bring him back at full health as if nothing happened. What did you play against? 

Just my friend playing a wong crew in a casual game. Still gave a pretty good feel for it!

4 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Pushes are a category of movement (as are places). So if you take the hit for instance and place, yan lo moves.

Thanks, still learning. Haven't played a crew that required the distinction. 

• Like 1

I was the friend, the crew was good having not played against it before I made some targeting priority errors but I only tossed the non Yan reliquary komainu,. I buried the komainu with the reliquary which was hilarious when Yan got forcibly teleported across the table. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Insomniakwulf said:

I was the friend, the crew was good having not played against it before I made some targeting priority errors but I only tossed the non Yan reliquary komainu,. I buried the komainu with the reliquary which was hilarious when Yan got forcibly teleported across the table. 

Yeah, that bury really made me alter my activations to avoid devastating unburies and instead just had to get super awkward.

On 8/1/2021 at 10:11 PM, Korrok said:

Make sure to note yans reliquary has to go on a retainer minion specifically. 

The way I read it, it has to start on a retainer, but can be moved to any friendly model...

So, you could put it on an OOK model, but when that model dies it would go back to the closest retainer model, which could then shift it to another OOK model if you like.

5 minutes ago, MrPieChee said:

The way I read it, it has to start on a retainer, but can be moved to any friendly model...

So, you could put it on an OOK model, but when that model dies it would go back to the closest retainer model, which could then shift it to another OOK model if you like.

Yan Lo's reliquary (and only his reliquary) says 'restricted (retainer minion)' in the bottom right. So the upgrade can only ever be on retainer minions.

• Agree 2

Ahh, I've never seen a restriction like that on a upgrade before - are there any others?

Its a bit weird that "A New Guardian" says friendly only...

And why have a section at the top on restrictions, and then a further restriction at the bottom... Its a bit of a mess...

1 minute ago, MrPieChee said:

Ahh, I've never seen a restriction like that on a upgrade before - are there any others?

And why have a section at the top on restrictions, and then a further restriction at the bottom... Its a bit of a mess...

Magical training is restricted to living models, diesel engine is restricted to constructs, etc. I think there's a few others :)

The top is a different form of restriction (restrictions mark what CAN use the upgrade, the top marks what CAN'T).

I agree it is a weird format and I'd just put another word at the bottom something like "Excluded (Yan Lo)" to indicate Yan Lo can't have it.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, MrPieChee said:

A new guardian is an action that appears on all reliquies, and so is exactly the same wording on all of them, which is why the resitrictoion isn't there. 

There are plenty of Upgrades that do have a restrictions on who can take them, but in most cases they aren't upgrades that can move, so its easy to forget after hiring. 

[Q]Limitations: Most Upgrades have one or more Limitations. This limits which models can Attach the Upgrade.[/Q] page 6

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Played another game with the crew. Really hard getting all the abilities straight in my head, so made several mistakes, but getting there.

New Yan Lo - still amazing. Double Komainu still an auto-take (not sure if you need GST on them. They were my martyrs, so I didn't mind that one died).

Tried Kenshiro for the first time. The table was covered in severe, so the reliquary was basically mandatory. 100% worth taking on any board where you need to bypass terrain. The rest of the abilities were quite solid (including making my opponent discard 4 random cards at the start of turn 2, which shut down his whole turn). Stat 7 on the attack is really good, and the deck-viewing aura is pretty good. The tactic tokens were so clutch, saving me several times (and especially excellent against attacks that don't involve damage flips).

It was on Break The Lines, and I easily dominated the markers with all the AP. Extremely AP efficient crew, with the constant bouncing around of Yan Lo... Feel like this might be one of our best crews into Break the Lines, but need to test more McMourning.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Arlos896 said:

Care to share your list? I am looking to try and focus more on Yan Lo here as the title for him is so cool.

I think last time I had:

• Yan lo & Porter
  • 2 komainu
  • Manos
  • Yin
  • Izamu
  • Kenshiro
  • 4 stones?

Izamu always feels a bit bad, but the reliquary is nice? Probably going to try some lists without him.

Komainu felt amazing, as always. Although need to try them out against armor piercing.

• Thanks 1

Play Yan Lo 2 on Symbols today.

SO DAMN GOOD.

Took the Toshiro/Gravedigger combo to defend my symbols (and with soul porter being a great symbol defender, it really paid off).

Yan Lo himself is sooooo good at scheming, but this time I wanted to do something a little different. So this time the enemy Sonnia stepped 3-4 inches out of her deployment zone. Komainu double walked, commanded Yan Lo to attack (and he took the Hole In The World trigger to teleport her). Then Yin attacked her to kidnap her some more. The fact that Yan Lo can attack enemies (if within 3") is so amazing for the Komainu bonus (and honestly feels like a bit of a mistake).

She basically ended up in my deployment zone. Hole in the world is utterly powerful, and a key part of his kit that just has to be abused to get full value.

Then my Komainu died, and the backup komainu ran off and picked up a symbol on turn 2.

• Like 1