2021 Monthly Painting Challenge - August

Caedrus

Greetings, fellow painters, and welcome to the Monthly Painting Challenge for August!

Everything you need to know for the Challenge is right HERE.

One thing which I have really, really notice this year is that many of our forum painters have really improved. Maybe it's the temperatures making everyone stay inside, or maybe it's the COVID lockdowns - but I'm stunned at how greatly everyone has improved. So how, I wondered, should I integrate that into a Challenge?

The Ahab Challenge!

In the month of August, I challenge you to be brave, and to tackle that miniature which you never thought you were good enough to undertake (or maybe complete)! So, Captain Ahab, it's time to get that white whale. Paint that miniature, and overcome your fears!

Have a fantastic August, look after yourself and your loved ones, and keep those brushes damp!

Caedrus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@CaedrusYou take care as well, thanks again for helping to make this happen. It's so fulfilling to get stuff painted and I really look forward to seeing everyone else's amazing work. I'll have to think about my "great white whale" but in the meantime I'm going to try and knock out two more units for the King's Empire. This might let me play a fully painted army against @Stranglelove's beautifully painted Cult of the Burning Man.

• Thanks 1

Well, I'm gonna start with the rest of my Infamous crew.

UR9kuTP.jpg

I suppose that later I'll add the whole Seeker keyword (except the surveyors), but first of all I must see how long it takes to paint those bayous...

And for the challenge... I must see what can fit on the description. The model I thought I was never going to paint is the one I painted for the Hot! Hot! Hot! painting contest... xD 

• Like 3

After a busy last half of last month I'm excited to get back to painting regularly. Seeker and the Explorers starter is all ready to go, but my focus will be a few Bayou models that I keep putting off, including the Emissary, which ye see indeed be me White Whale, yarr. Well, now that I finally finished Gracie recently, that is.

I've had an unconventional "art project" idea for that Angry Bacon Hampster Wheel for a while now, I just keep putting it off, so this is a perfect challenge to push me to take the plunge!

large.20210714_223844.jpg.9a360eba65ac2742d1b1588c45accccd.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got off to a great start for August, here's the first part of my pledge. @Caedrus that's 30ss for this piece. Thanks again to @Stranglelove for the pictures. It was a challenging piece and I'm really happy with the outcome. Hope you enjoy. Only a few things left and I can play a fully painted King's Empire Force. Hopefully the new Other Side starter set will increase the popularity of this great game.

FB5cH21.png

qwcRDJr.png

• Like 4

Hi everyone,

I think i want to take part in the monthly painting challenges, i pledge for tyrant @Caedrus

Apart from dabbling in Battle Reports lately, i am a dedicated if mediocre painter and hope to find some inspiration and kinship here...

right now this months work looks like this:

20210814_092422.thumb.jpg.d37aefc36132519f26edfd889226dccb.jpg

so i'll get back to you when i am finished with those guys :)

• Like 4

On 8/1/2021 at 11:34 AM, Engorn said:

Well, I'm gonna start with the rest of my Infamous crew.

UR9kuTP.jpg

I suppose that later I'll add the whole Seeker keyword (except the surveyors), but first of all I must see how long it takes to paint those bayous...

And for the challenge... I must see what can fit on the description. The model I thought I was never going to paint is the one I painted for the Hot! Hot! Hot! painting contest... xD 

@Caedrus my initial pledge is finished.

nvi6ZJZ.jpg

Gracie: 8 SS worth.

VdQmCdJ.jpg

Mancha roja: 10 SS worth.

Tf4ekwJ.jpg

3 x Wrastlers: 5 SS worth each, so 15 SS.

gzSq6qL.jpg

2x Bayou smugglers: 6 SS worth each, so 12 SS.

That's a total of 45 SS, for the moment...

Now, I pretend to paint the Jedza Core Box before de August is over.

JQRAEm4.jpg

Jedza is already half painted... I was so eager to paint these miniatures that I totally forgot to take the picture before painting. 😅

• Like 7

Checking in to the fun a bit later this month as I've just returned from my holidays. Not too much time left in August but here's my bold plan anyway :)

painters-challenge-august-2021-WIP.jpg

Nothing really Ahab about it though :(

I will be painting one of the big guys on my first Wyrd Stream on Tuesday 

• Like 3

Managed to take pictures after all :D, i feel like i am getting somewhere with the technique.... but can still be improved upon

xQZzdqL.jpgabKOggv.jpg

qjdx9xO.jpgabKOggv.jpg

g0NLidL.jpgdt1M2B7.jpg

On 8/19/2021 at 4:14 PM, Engorn said:

That gracie is really beautiful, how do get such luminous colours?  And i wish i knew how to paint eyes like those ;)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2021 at 1:40 PM, Gheist said:

That gracie is really beautiful, how do get such luminous colours?  And i wish i knew how to paint eyes like those ;)

TBH, I don't know hoy I get the colors to be that luminous. Maybe it's a matter of contrast... I swear I don't make it on purpose. I don't think about that when I paint. I only want the miniature to be finished. 😅

• Agree 1

My month's work: all three Moorwraiths, ol' metal Rami, the Lucky Effigy, and my white whale: the Lucky Emissary. I've had an image in my head of making this into a 50mm diarama of the Lucky Emissary as, essentially, the Bayou's version of Santa Claus, delivering 'shine at speed. Specifically, to Ross Jebsen, because I love the model but have no interest in playing Ulix. It feels good to get that off the shame pile and into the display case (and on the table. @Caedrus all told, comes to 32ss.

large.20210830_163436.jpg.893dda1ed757b242445af08d654c5de0.jpglarge.20210830_163406.jpg.cf764cefd110adc6c34678809174e420.jpglarge.20210830_163315.jpg.2f51c3c8c0bf6c6b452412706547999c.jpglarge.20210830_163250.jpg.fd603cf6da04f6b575c702123207056d.jpg

• Like 5

So, August is almost over and here are the minis I've managed to paint post my vacation break.

2x Mecharachnid  - 12ss

The Scorpius - 7ss

Metal Gamin - 5ss

Soulstone Miner - 6ss

paintercchallenge-august2021-01.jpg

paintercchallenge-august2021-02.jpg

paintercchallenge-august2021-03.jpg

On top of that I painted two Nephilim. I'd originally planned to do them during my first stream for Wyrd but then work happened and I needed to cancel. Here's a pic of the lovely duo. I plan to add some blood splatters + swampy water to their bases but I think I'll do that during my stream. Speaking of which, I'll be doing it tomorrow 3:30 pm EST / 21:30 CET / 20:30 UK and plan to show my approach to painting Nephilim skin then :)

paintercchallenge-august2021-00.jpg

17 ss for these brings me to a total of 47 soulstones for August :)

• Like 6

On 8/19/2021 at 4:14 PM, Engorn said:

nvi6ZJZ.jpg

Gracie: 8 SS worth.

VdQmCdJ.jpg

Mancha roja: 10 SS worth.

Tf4ekwJ.jpg

3 x Wrastlers: 5 SS worth each, so 15 SS.

gzSq6qL.jpg

2x Bayou smugglers: 6 SS worth each, so 12 SS.

That's a total of 45 SS, for the moment...

Now, I pretend to paint the Jedza Core Box before de August is over.

JQRAEm4.jpg

Jedza is already half painted... I was so eager to paint these miniatures that I totally forgot to take the picture before painting. 😅

Well...

I only managed to paint Jedza and Sophie. The rest will be for the September pledge...

24GTm4A.jpg

Jedza: 15 SS worth

jtffjVO.jpg

Sophie: 4 SS worth.

@Caedrus So, 19 additional SS to the 45 SS I already had, that's 64 SS for August.

• Like 5