Jump to content

Gatling Gunner/Guild Mage Reveal


Gaston
 Share

Recommended Posts

Mage will be amazing, I have no doubt about that. Getting a 1/2/3 heal from activating a Lawyer is pretty insane. Should be good with cointerspell models, flurry, rapid fire and so on and so on. We also sorely need the marker removal.

I am less sure about the Gatling Gunner, but against long range threats he can be clutch and there are a few fun things you can do with that gun, especially in a Lucius crew. I also like the fact that he can shoot at someone engaged with one of your models, and if they really don't want you to take an interact, they may cheat down and allow you to get a cheatable 2/4/6 flip. I am unsure of how often that will happen in a really game though 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really, really love the idea of "on failure" effects like Covering Fire, it really expands the value of the unit.  Hit with your gun?  Cool, do some damage.  Miss?  Cool, do some scheming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, retnab said:

I really, really love the idea of "on failure" effects like Covering Fire, it really expands the value of the unit.  Hit with your gun?  Cool, do some damage.  Miss?  Cool, do some scheming.

Scheming, Concentrate (Family), Assist, Dissengage, Move... Its very interesting

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a little surprised the Guild Mages didn't get the Witch Hunter keyword. They seem to fit it thematically and have the signature abilities of the keyword with Arcane Shield, Counterspell, and the ability to hand out Burning.

I suspect that their ability to scheme from a distance will really put a nail in the coffin of Thalarian Quellers in Sonia as you're getting a whole lot of added utility for just one more stone. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm gonna be "that guy".

Love this stuff. Sonnia, the Gunners, the Mages. Love it.

But there's a lot of excess stuff for those that just play Malifaux, and no easy way to farm it out.

Who's going to want 3 Gunners when the box is likely the only way to get Mages and Alt-Sonnia? Same with the Kirai side, I'm assuming Enslaved Spirits aren't going to be Minion (9)?

I mean, the price is at a point it's not objectionable, so the gripe is kinda minor. I'm just not that big a fan of waste.

Hmm... it doesn't seem to come with Mali bases? TOS and Firebase only? That's potentially disappointing. I'm assuming TOS bases are a standard size? Or do they come in variable sizes too? Given that Gunners are 40mm, does that mean I can only base them for one system?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Morgan Vening said:

I'm gonna be "that guy".

Love this stuff. Sonnia, the Gunners, the Mages. Love it.

But there's a lot of excess stuff for those that just play Malifaux, and no easy way to farm it out.

Who's going to want 3 Gunners when the box is likely the only way to get Mages and Alt-Sonnia? Same with the Kirai side, I'm assuming Enslaved Spirits aren't going to be Minion (9)?

I mean, the price is at a point it's not objectionable, so the gripe is kinda minor. I'm just not that big a fan of waste.

Hmm... it doesn't seem to come with Mali bases? TOS and Firebase only? That's potentially disappointing. I'm assuming TOS bases are a standard size? Or do they come in variable sizes too? Given that Gunners are 40mm, does that mean I can only base them for one system?

The back of the box notes how many sculpts vs models in the box so I think that's a indicator as to how many will be allowed in malifaux. The enslaved are 5 sculpts but 9 minis. So they will be minion (5) as for the other bit on bases they are plug bases. So each individual model gets its own base and then you slot those into a larger base. So you'd have like 2-3 gunners all slotted into one larger base. To use them in faux you just take them out and use them individually. The only odd one are with sonnia and kirai because the smallest base size in tos is 40mm.  Maybe they will get a special one that let's a 30 get slotted in. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, belorey said:

Scheming, Concentrate (Family), Assist, Dissengage, Move... Its very interesting

Since the target enemy model will not count as engaging, you probably won't need to disengage (unless it's a scrum and other enemy models are engaging you).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Cats Laughing said:

Since the target enemy model will not count as engaging, you probably won't need to disengage (unless it's a scrum and other enemy models are engaging you).

Yes if you have other enemy there (other than the initial target) you can disengage and he has no positivo for extra engage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love the Mages.  Sorry Quellers, but you really should have got your act together years ago!

 

The Gunners offer good utility, but are only stat 4.  I can see the logic - 18ss for three gatling guns that bunker each other is probably way too good, but that stat 4 probably isn't hitting much of importance often enough to get what you need out of them?  But maybe thats just me and my unenviable ability to flip low 99% of the time.

 

But yeah, the Mages are great.  Not Witch Hunter so the limited Witch Hunter synergy doesn't apply, but still lots of fire and an actually usable Scheme marker drop.  I'll take 3!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, theamazingmrg said:

Not Witch Hunter so the limited Witch Hunter synergy doesn't apply

Unless I'm forgetting something, they wouldn't benefit from any of the Witch Hunter synergies anyways. As the ability to ignore friendly fire on Witchlings (Through No Love for Witchlings) is negated by their lack of a projectile attack and the ability to take a melee attack when pushed out of activation (From Enraged by the Mage) is negated by not having a melee.
 

Thematically similar models certainly don't need to always share a keyword, but given these come in a box with Sonnia and fit her general playstyle I'm surprised they don't for fluff reasons if nothing else. 

 

Edit:
I suppose it means Spell Eaters can't use The Fire Within trigger on them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Nathan Sells said:

Unless I'm forgetting something, they wouldn't benefit from any of the Witch Hunter synergies anyways. As the ability to ignore friendly fire on Witchlings (Through No Love for Witchlings) is negated by their lack of a projectile attack and the ability to take a melee attack when pushed out of activation (From Enraged by the Mage) is negated by not having a melee.
 

Thematically similar models certainly don't need to always share a keyword, but given these come in a box with Sonnia and fit her general playstyle I'm surprised they don't for fluff reasons if nothing else. 

 

Edit:
I suppose it means Spell Eaters can't use The Fire Within trigger on them

They don't get to ignore the Witchlings for Friendly Fire, or benefit from Adversary from the Queller (lol!) either.  That's why I said limited.  There's not a lot, so really they slot in nicely.  They're great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, theamazingmrg said:

They don't get to ignore the Witchlings for Friendly Fire, or benefit from Adversary from the Queller (lol!) either.  That's why I said limited.  There's not a lot, so really they slot in nicely.  They're great.

Mages don't have a projectile attack so they ignore friendly fire anyways, and the Queller gives out Adversary (Witchling) so they're not loosing any benefits there. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, theamazingmrg said:

18ss for three gatling guns that bunker each other is probably way too good

What do you mean, they actually búnker theitselfs too. If you play 1 its enought to stealth 2/3 models easy.

I really like both models and gonna play them next game to get better impresion.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really like them, and the reason i like them is they're not auto includes in every list or every pool. They're really good for certain schemes and crew make ups but that's is, and that's how Versatiles should be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm really liking the gunners with investigators in theory.  Guns giving staggered, or if they miss instead him dropping a scheme market and hitting someone with an irresistible push, seems like a good situation for them.  

Guild mages spreading heal with they use intimidating authority or interrogate (ok I know they will never use interrogate) seems good too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information