Sonia into Reva

saberstrike000

I know, I know. This is not a "help me" request.

But it was my friend's first game of Malifaux ever (my first in over a year and first using Sonia) and I wanted to weigh things in his favor. (As it is it really helped him learn how to manage Burning.) I still did okay because of scheming, but when we broke for lunch at end of turn 3, I was out of minions and his Lamps had the movement to dominate Turf War and I conceded. All things considered, I still managed to hurt him (Capped Vincent and came within one or two bad flips of killing Reva after her activation before she could turn all that burning into healing) and if I hadn't overexposed one of my runners, I might have made him work harder. (Our second game I ran Oblivion which went much better for me despite overexposing Aionius. I'm not breaking out my favorite Marshals until he's got more experience.)

But that's besides the point. I was just generally wondering if anyone had any clever ideas for how to manage Sonia against similarly themed fire crews (it generally feels like she's at a disadvantage as almost none of her models are actually fireproof.) Again, I don't plan on running Sonia against him until he gets a second crew, but I'm just generally curious if you all have thoughts.

Take the Guild Steward for Condition removal, but that's usually a good idea with Sonnia anyway! 

Selective use of the Thralls heal ability helps too, pulling the Burning off the models you want to keep alive (or off Reva's crew) but keeping them alive can be tricky.

The new Sonnia will be better as she can pull Burning for positives, but yeah, on the whole Reva is going to be a tough matchup at the best of times.

Remembering Sonnia's range reduction when someone is on fire is always nice too.  I never do...

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

It hampers her ability to heal others or attack through corpses, both of which are massive hits.

Actually, as I read it, it doesn't affect her ability to attack through corpses as Ethereal Reaping is a Melee attack. Both her ability to fire through corpses and create new candles are done through auras. And as my friend is running the Reva Core and Returned boxes, he wasn't super concerned with healing or protecting anyone but Reva.

As I said, I punished Vincent pretty easily with Samael and a quick charge with a Thrall, but Lampads were running all over me and Reva moved fast enough that I had a hard time pinning her down once my friend realized that activating Reva before Sonia meant I could still effectively load her with burning and scorch the soul (even if I hadn't flipped the Black Joker on it, I still came a little short of a one turn kill, but it was close.)

1 minute ago, saberstrike000 said:

Actually, as I read it, it doesn't affect her ability to attack through corpses as Ethereal Reaping is a Melee attack. Both her ability to fire through corpses and create new candles are done through auras. And as my friend is running the Reva Core and Returned boxes, he wasn't super concerned with healing or protecting anyone but Reva.

As I said, I punished Vincent pretty easily with Samael and a quick charge with a Thrall, but Lampads were running all over me and Reva moved fast enough that I had a hard time pinning her down once my friend realized that activating Reva before Sonia meant I could still effectively load her with burning and scorch the soul (even if I hadn't flipped the Black Joker on it, I still came a little short of a one turn kill, but it was close.)

Oh, of course. So it doesn't limit the melee attack after all :(

Oh, also remove reva's corpse candles wherever possible (especially if you can do it so they don't drop markers). She is really reliant on the corpse candles and the resources they generate.

I've been liking 2x spelleaters with llc in Sonia.  Maybe that, a steward, pale rider, and then flex the rest of crew for schemes.  A lawyer would put you at 41, and I've been told I should be starting with the lawyer when I crew build.  

I haven't played a lot against Reva though.