Help a newbie choose a crew

pezo

Hi all, 

I've been looking into malifaux for years. Love the look of a few crews that I will list. I mainly played complex board games and mostly Saga, some epic armageddon. 

So the crews I like the look of:

Cooper, Hoffman, VonSchill, Perdita, maybe McCabe, Ivan

Thanks for any and all advice

Cooper, Ivan, and McCabe all share a faction so I'd start with one of them. 

Though Perdita is about the most affordable master to start the game with - her box plus stones and upgrades gets you to 50ss. I like Family a lot and have successfully played them almost exclusively in-keyword so there's that too. 

Hoffman shares a faction with Perdita so either is an okay start from that perspective. And Hoffman might be the easiest master in the game to get your head around. 

1 hour ago, admiralvorkraft said:

Cooper, Ivan, and McCabe all share a faction so I'd start with one of them. 

Though Perdita is about the most affordable master to start the game with - her box plus stones and upgrades gets you to 50ss. I like Family a lot and have successfully played them almost exclusively in-keyword so there's that too. 

Hoffman shares a faction with Perdita so either is an okay start from that perspective. And Hoffman might be the easiest master in the game to get your head around. 

+1 to this sentiment. While you can just buy and play keywords, the 2nd step of the game comes in when you start playing a faction so if this is what you like guild or Explorer's might be good first factions. 

Agree that Hoffman is a great master to learn the game with as it's mostly clear how to use models and what everything does (except Hoffman's bonus action)

Rule of cool is important to get you through your first 10 games though as it can be a steep learning curve at the beginning. 

11 hours ago, Regelridderen said:

Get the crew that makes you want to paint the most. 

Get the whole keyword and nothing beyond it. 

Learn to play the game using the keyword. 

at some point you will now have a decent understanding of the game and keyword. You will probably also know, what you really want to play. 

Thank you. And thanks everyone. It will be Maccabe as my friend has one and we well swap. 

Also I will take this last advice and use it to death thanks

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2021 at 12:36 AM, frumpypigskin said:

Agree that Hoffman is a great master to learn the game with as it's mostly clear how to use models and what everything does (except Hoffman's bonus action)

I've played Hoffman since the M3E Beta and his bonus action still makes me re-read it three times before ever considering using it.  I'm looking forward to the new Title just so I don't need to think about it anymore!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, theamazingmrg said:

I've played Hoffman since the M3E Beta and his bonus action still makes me re-read it three times before ever considering using it.  I'm looking forward to the new Title just so I don't need to think about it anymore!

Schemes and Stones just dropped the new title for Hoffman and I think I'm in love.