Opposed duel types

frumpypigskin

Question

I recently realised I've been interpreting page 10 definitions of duels one way since the beta and came across a different interpretation so am wondering what others use... 

Opposed duel example: charm warder using chi blade vs paltergeist and within engagement of Teddy... 

Option 1:

The charm warder and the paltergeist are taking an opposed melee WP duel against each other.

Option 2:

Charm warder takes a stat 6 melee attack duel, the paltergeist takes a melee WP duel and the results are compared as an opposed duel. 

In option 1 the charm warders attack is at a neg and a resultant fail heals Teddy.

In option 2 the Charm warder attacks on a straight flip and a fail won't heal Teddy.

Which do you play?

8 answers to this question

3 hours ago, frumpypigskin said:

I think this is where my confusion stems from. If it's just one duel, I feel like its either called a willpower duel or it isn't. 

It's an attack duel for one side and a resist duel for one side, so the same duel can be called different things for different people in the duel. 

If you use your will power stat then it's a willpower duel for you, but if you don't use your willpower then it's not a willpower duel for you. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, solkan said:

It’s option 2.  The previous edition was more explicit about pointing out that the two sides are going to end up performing different duels, but you don’t end up with the “Wp melee” duel for the attacker.

Thanks. Some of the language made it seem like one opposed duel, two parts. Not two opposed duals compared.