2021 Monthly Painting Challenge - July

Caedrus

Greetings, fellow painters, and welcome to the Monthly Painting Challenge for July!

Everything you need to know for the Challenge is right HERE.

After a crazily busy June, I'm back with a vengeance and ready to get some painting done. While the Northern Hemisphere is getting seriously warm, I'm in the cold of the Southern Hemisphere, wondering how to use my spray primers*, and generally freezing. It was that discomfort that made me think of a nice Challenge for the month of July:

The Discomfort Challenge!

In the month of July, I challenge you to identify the thing that you least like in your painting, and to do exactly that for a miniature. Is it glazing? Face details? NMM? Whatever it is, the gauntlet has been thrown down!

Have a fantastic July, look after yourself and your loved ones, and keep those brushes damp!

Caedrus.

* Honestly, nowadays, I just mainly use the airbrush...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For the month of July, I will put myself out of my comfort zone. I am, at best, a poor hand with Green Stuff. I will finish at least one converted miniature.

It might be an Eternal Flame proxy, a heavily converted Hannah, or a Firestarter. I'm not sure yet!

Have a fantastic July, and stay cool / warm (as appropriate for your comfort!).

Caedrus.

• Like 2

For July, I'm going to paint more undead and try to enjoy them. Not a huge fan of painting undead stuff, or skin in general, so I tend to take shorcuts on them where possible.

Starting off with some Kirai pieces for a friend, already in progress, and then probably more to Seeker.

WIP: large.20210630_064914.jpg.20a1fb796f6b19c3042f73c28873d7ea.jpg

• Like 4

25 soulstones as plan minimum for this month + 8 soulstones for Slate Ridge Mauler that's almost complete (will post pic later this week). As for the discomfort challenge - I typically paint with toned down, dark colors. These will be super bright and vivid :) 

painters-challenge-July2021wip.jpg

• Like 1

I want to buy back and redeem myself the best way possible, so I am pledging the m2e Misaki core box, which has been almost finished since dec2020 and I will try to finish the Kharmic Debt box too.

For the challenge, I will face both my "finishing things phobia" and the OSL fear.

Not being able of finishing miniatures and  calling them "done" is something that has been draging me out since I started in the hobby.

And planning on performing osl on both Ototo and Misaki has not being helping me finishing the core box.

So I am going to kill two birds with one stone! Or that is the plan at least.

Here is the almost finished Ototo to keep an eye on me this month:

IMG-20210702-185644.jpg

(He's like "Hey dude, feeling finally like doing that osl thing from my tetsubo? The storm is comming you know...")

• Like 5

Hi there, since there's another painting contest, my pledge for July is going to be secret. 🤫

About the disconfort challenge, i'd say my kryptonite is eyes (specially the mini's right eye...) wood, and large flat surfaces, not sure if i'll face all of them on this month 🤔

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Diddick said:

Like it!

Also i think @Vessien meant if you mind sharing the skin recipe, i'd like to know it too 🙌

Got it)feels myself so stupid😂😂😂

The recipe is simple actually:

1. Base-Mix of chocolate brown+german camo medium brown+Cork brown (ots about 0.5+1+2.5 ratio)

2. Major highlight-german camo medium brown+cork brown (1+4)

3. First highlight-mix 2+beige red (2+1)

4. Second highlight-mix 3+more beige red

5. Third highlight-beige red

6. Fourth highlight- beige red+ivory

All paints are vallejo model color, you can also add another highlight with pure ivory

• Thanks 2

@Boomstick - wow, that was fast and the result is really good. I like the connection you have there between colors of Kirai and Ikiryo. 

@astapable - some seriously amazing work on the skin there

@Vessien - nice work on the NMM and red seems to work well on Ototo's clothes

33 soulstones for me so far this month. The discomfort challenge was to make sure I use vivid colors as these will be used as additions to Kaeris' crews. More pics on my Instagram profile at https://www.instagram.com/what.the.faux/

painterschallenge-July2021-1.jpg

painterschallenge-July2021-2.jpg

painterschallenge-July2021-3.jpg

• Like 9

On 6/30/2021 at 7:43 PM, Engorn said:

MIb0DUu.jpg

This is what I'm going to paint (plus Mancha Roja which hasn't arrived yet). I don't know if trying to paint the whole thing before July 10 counts for the challenge. I'm quite a slow painter...

Mancha Roja, along with the wrastlers, hasn't arrived two weeks and a half later... But it is on its way. Although, now I'm working on something for the summer painting contest, so probably Mancha Roja and the wrastlers are going to be something to paint on August. Also on that foto is Burt Jebsen who is gonna be part of the August pledge (probably with the rest of the Infamous keyword). On the other hand, the rest of it is already painted...

FHookzi.jpg

Captain Zipp: 15 SS

nFOyA7V.jpg

Earl Burns: 3SS

sesyZOe.jpg

Fist Mate: 9 SS

2seHB5E.jpg

Merris LaCroix: 6 SS

R0eKA2T.jpg

3x Iron Skeeter: 3x7=21 SS

lt24cIQ.jpg

3x Flying Piglet: 3x3=9 SS

BzRoDcf.jpg

Mechanized Porkchop: 7 SS

@Caedrus that is a total of 70 SS this month (I'm not counting the three Malifaux models I'm gonna paint for the contest...).

• Like 8

@Engorn- love the vivid colors and the highlights are super smooth. Playing such nicely painted crews is like giving Distracted +5 to your opponent!

@Ja9nge - I like the slightly cartoonish tone you have there. Gremlin with the huge sack is my fav :) 

33 + 16 for Mama Z, 1 for Doll, 8 for the Damned (dammmmm, one of the best M3E models ever!). 58 soulstones in July, looking to add more before the month is over :)

damned-01.jpgdamned-02.jpg

zoraida-01.jpg zoraida-02.jpg

• Like 9

Caedrus, reporting in!

So, this month, I have been working on a model for the Hot Hot Hot! Painting Competition, which has also got something which puts me in my discomfort zone, so I'm being efficient with my challenges. So, while I can't really talk about that at the moment, I can show you what I've been up to!

First of all, I wanted a quick win, so I slapped paint on three of my least favourite models ... the Molemen!

IUYyVcW.jpg

qJeBA1a.jpg

23J45Va.jpg

I had a little fun with some glowing gems on their hides, but these were never going to be a major effort.

Then, I made a start on Iggy...

YNAz6vy.jpg

He's looking OK so far. It's a tiny model. I think I need some cooler colours to create an effective contrast, and to show the OSL a bit more effectively. Still, he's a bit of fun, and should finish easily into a nice miniature.

Next, an Effigy!

7iTGMnU.jpg

Now, this guy is mostly in blues, greens and purples. The reason for this is that I will be repeating the colours on the Emissary, hopefully doing some pseudo- iridescence on the wings and robe, similar to this:

stock-photo-this-beautiful-duck-has-feat

...or at least, that's the objective.

So, after this, I have some tidying of other models, and then I shall be desperatly trying to get back into the groove of finishing my Hannah.

Meantime, everyone has really cranked up the vibrancy this month!

@Viruk: Love the Zoraida family. The swamp slime, I can tell, is well done, but it never photographs well! Love the Damned's cold flesh / hot eyes.

@Engorn: So, so much to love. The vibrant piggies, the colour-coded skeeter wings, the delightful flame / smoke plume behind Zipp and Merris, the crisp line work on the Porkchop. All superb stuff. For me, however, the green / red First Mate combination. Perfect choice. Brilliant.

@Ja9nge: I adore this style. It's vibrant, clear and (this is a compliment) comic-book crisp. I think the squealer is my favourite. The flesh tone is pinker than I would use - and it's brilliant for doing so!

@Boomstick: If you'd told me that you were using green and gold for your Urami, I would never have thought it was a winner of an idea. So, I was wrong. It's so strong a presence on the tabletop. Gorgeous.

@astapable: At the other end of the spectrum is astapable. Those flesh tones are so subtle and smooth ... I'm so very, very envious. I wish I could do that!

@Vessien: That Ototo is looking just delightful. I see a lot of yellow Ototos, but rarely red. I think it's a splendid contrast to the NMM, which is also very nice, by the way!

Wow, as always, I am blown away by the skills being shown. I've been a bit lazy of late, but you folk have inspired me to focus again - hopefully I can keep up to your standards!

Everyone, stay safe, and keep putting pigment to plastic!

Caedrus.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4