Spell TNs for Fated characters?

thefinaltuba

Hey was trying to create a grimoire for one of my Fated and realized I'm not entirely sure how this works... for spells that create a simple duel TN ( for example, Wrench causes a TN 10 Toughness challenge), is this handled like other things for FM Characters? What I mean is, my minions that have a low rank value/stat... Are they ALWAYS going to fail? my Enforcers/Henchman with High ranks/skills, are they always going to succeed? Just doesn't feel quite right, but maybe it is? I get it if the tradeoff is "well, there's still a flip that has to happen, the flip to cast!" But also, if someone has a high enough rank, they can NEVER be affected by certain spells? Just doesn't seem quite right. Thanks

Yes, FM characters use their Rank to resist the effects of Wrench.

The Increase Resistance Immuto (Core Rules pg.274) can be used to raise the TN of any duels that a spell causes (so long as they are not part of the casting duel), so that should enable Enforcers etc to be affected by it.

As far as ways for FM characters to protect themselves, the best option is as you say, the spell duel, so long as they can make use of the Counter Spelling Skill (and/or all of the associated Talents). Besides that, when a FM character performs a duel against a TN where no cards are flipped, anything that would grant them a (+) to the flip instead increases their duel total by +2. The (+) could come from a Fate Point (Core Rules pg.312), or a Skill toolkit, or really anything else; but they might be better off gaining the (+) on the spell duel, depending largely on how skilled the Fated is at casting their spells.

Hmm ok that helps some. Hadn't considered the increase resistance immuto. Still figuring out the whole magic system. I just would feel bad saying to my Fated "Sorry, this guy is Rank+stat 11, so you can't affect him at all with your spells!" so it seems like increase resistance might be something I want to include often in grimoires.