Neverborn in July VWS!

Maniacal_cackle

Been great watching you play some games with nvb Marcus and seeing different lists.

Finally got him on the table myself recently. I think he is good and has potential to adapt quickly to the game state which is cool.

One thing, have I missed something or can myranda change from beast back to her at start of activation then zero in to another beast? 

8 minutes ago, Kiryn said:

Been great watching you play some games with nvb Marcus and seeing different lists.

Finally got him on the table myself recently. I think he is good and has potential to adapt quickly to the game state which is cool.

One thing, have I missed something or can myranda change from beast back to her at start of activation then zero in to another beast? 

Myranda can change back at the start of her activation, and if she then wants she can beast shape during her activation.

14 minutes ago, Kiryn said:

As adran says, you can.

One trick is you can heal 2+1/2/3 in a single activation by double transforming with a rams on the bonus. This is a good way to get myranda to recover health, sometimes returning to the same form as the first time.

3 minutes ago, Kiryn said:

Cool I thought you could. With wings on and replacing to and from big base and fast models it's also crazy movement

Yeah, totally!

And don't forget you can wiggle out of engagement with this trick, allowing interacts or charges!

Also you can charge while engaged with inhuman reflexes by shifting into a rougarou, which never comes up but is a neat trick xD

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Yeah, totally!

And don't forget you can wiggle out of engagement with this trick, allowing interacts or charges!

Also you can charge while engaged with inhuman reflexes by shifting into a rougarou, which never comes up but is a neat trick xD

Yep, exactly. That's why I'm liking the look of Marcus, there are lots of ways of moving models about and adapting to what is needed.

• Agree 1

SUPER close game, but victory for Neverborn Marcus!!! Eeked out the last point for the win in last activation of turn 5.

This puts me up to 3 wins and a tie for the month, and I was against some very good players (although they weren't playing their best crews I think). Still, a really solid showing for Neverborn Marcus to demonstrate viability.

Video to come :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Good work.

So how viable do you think nvb Marcus is in the grand scheme of things? How do you think you'd do against some of the real heavy hitters, by which I mean the top masters not top players.

The more I look at it the more I think he can answer a lot of the questions asked and the speed and flexibility in the right hands is very strong.

8 minutes ago, Kiryn said:

Good work.

So how viable do you think nvb Marcus is in the grand scheme of things? How do you think you'd do against some of the real heavy hitters, by which I mean the top masters not top players.

The more I look at it the more I think he can answer a lot of the questions asked and the speed and flexibility in the right hands is very strong.

I think he is probably just shy of dealing with the most powerful stuff in the game, so I'd probably put him just a bit below Molly in terms of power level. But then I've not played 100+ games with him, so maybe I haven't fully given him the chance to explore that.

His biggest issue is the lack of tech in Neverborn. Like you can tech mature neph to deal with things hitting you, and you can tech Hinamatsu to deal with things hitting you in a different way... But most of our tech is extremely combat focused, which is very narrow in scope.

Maybe the new models will give a few new tools.

• Agree 1

Due to the top 16 I may not get a chance to make that Marcus video anytime soon, so I hope the videos in this thread are helpful enough!

@Ogid you once asked me to make Neverborn Marcus, and going 3-1-0 in a world series month (albeit an easier one) I think does a pretty good job of that! Have a look at the games from the month.

Feel free to ask me any further questions here, and if I get the energy I'll try to make a video! Winter energy levels tend to be a bit lower.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Really appreciate the videos, they’ve been a great resource! Was curious about your thoughts on Vogel / Beast within. I love the werewolf shifting concept but have struggled to find a good reason to slot him in, as there always seems to a better option. I noticed it didn’t look like you ever thought he was viable either in you list building. Are there any strat or scheme pools where you would be inclined to bring him?

Just now, Devious Carnival said:

Really appreciate the videos, they’ve been a great resource! Was curious about your thoughts on Vogel / Beast within. I love the werewolf shifting concept but have struggled to find a good reason to slot him in, as there always seems to a better option. I noticed it didn’t look like you ever thought he was viable either in you list building. Are there any strat or scheme pools where you would be inclined to bring him?

I just didn't have a chance to test him and didn't want to bring him in a pool without having used him xD

I'ved used him once in the Grow League and he seems... Okay. He has a TON of utility - can move your models around, heal them, draw cards, etc. But the rest of the keyword has those tricks in one way or another. I wonder if he is better for arcanists, maybe? I also don't like having another model that I have to discard to, since cards can already be tight on some turns.

So overall... Not much of an opinion yet xD

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2021 at 5:36 AM, Maniacal_cackle said:

@Ogid you once asked me to make Neverborn Marcus, and going 3-1-0 in a world series month (albeit an easier one) I think does a pretty good job of that! Have a look at the games from the month.

Feel free to ask me any further questions here, and if I get the energy I'll try to make a video! Winter energy levels tend to be a bit lower.

Ey, congrats and thanks for the feedback! I'll definitelly check those videos and the other thread you made about him when I get the time. I don't have much time to play nowadays so not sure how he is doing in GG2 but I'll interrogate you when I start playing seriously again :P

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Not a Marcus player, so I’ve only used Vogel/Beast in Arcanists - with Colette. And I love the cheeky basterd. 

He’s fast (Mv6 and Unimpeded) when he needs to. He’s got decent damage with a Moderate of 4. 

He’s hard to pin down, while being able to pin a lot of others with 2” reach and able to transform out of combat. 

Fairly tough with Shielded or Df6 and built-in healing. 

He can work on his own or boost others. 

-

He seems a little expensive, but he easily perform as well as any other 8 Stone model, but always being the 8 Stone model you need and not just the one you have. 

I gladly pay the 9 stones for him in Colette. 

• Like 2