Neverborn in July VWS!

Maniacal_cackle

48 minutes ago, Devious Carnival said:

I’d be curious to know why you took ancient pact on Marcus over the Cerberus? I would think the additional card draw on Cerberus would be better, and it would be in more situations where you don’t want to risk a black joker. Is it because Cerberus tends to be more expendable?

That was exactly it. I assumed the Cerberus was going to die, and wanted at least one ancient pact to maintain the initiative advantage. It was a really tough decision.

And then the Cerberus black-jokered a super important flip and I was filled with regret 😜

Video will be up in the next day or so :)

18 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

That was exactly it. I assumed the Cerberus was going to die, and wanted at least one ancient pact to maintain the initiative advantage. It was a really tough decision.

And then the Cerberus black-jokered a super important flip and I was filled with regret 😜

Video will be up in the next day or so :)

Haha well of course that's what would happen. Looking forward to seeing it!

• Haha 1

Heyo, Lucius player from this game here. I have super limited experience in general, but specifically very little into Marcus. I hadn’t thought about being able to Obey off the upgrades - so Jury didn’t even enter my mind because of that. 

This was actually my first game taking 2 Lawyers. Ehh, I have my doubts, they were certainly fun and Tools for the Job is frequently amazing. I almost upgraded a Lawyer to Alan Reid for extra staggered but that would have removed the Changeling who I wanted as a super cheap ball carrier and to Entourage Lucius. T1 Agent 46 was less than 1” from being able to Mimic Lawyer’s obey, then walk and Obey Grimwell to kill the Injured Cerberus (I had 3 severes in hand). That would have swung the game immensely!! 

My biggest regret is scheme choice - I enjoyed how my crew played overall. I chose Hooded for Vendetta but then based on how @Maniacal_cackle ended up deploying the Rider and keeping him over in the severe, and with Cojo so close, Agent would’ve been hard pressed to get to the Hooded without telegraphing it. When I hit RJ damage on Cerberus and saw the bleeding begin over by that top left Leyline I went for the throat. Unfortunately the Hooded had an amazing turn and Agent never got to hit him 😭😭 Had my models been able to hold on just a little longer he’d been really hard pressed to get the third Leyline. Which - I forgot the Initiate can move beasts like Marcus so I moved the Rider away from blocked Cojo T5 after Cojo had activated thinking that Leyline was unable to be taken. RIP! Live and ya learn. 

Grimwell - my first time playing him ever. I definitely waaaay over extended, but he was fun as all get out. 10/10 would take again, I chose him for the aforementioned hand pressure on Marcus. T2 if Marcus didn’t draw up I had the high Crows in hand to Execute Cojo. Good play on my opponent for realizing that. 

Pale Rider - I took this for Staggering things for ideally Grimwell. Didn’t work out for that, he was still solid. Ride with Me is great. His “Ultimate” is great - especially with Lucius but the 5 Rams never really worked out for me since I over extended. 

I honestly didn’t plan on going quite so damn hard this game but it just sort of happened. T1 I was frustrated with my opponents positioning because I didn’t want to waste AP doing nothing. Should have used the Obeys and Issue commands to stack more Focused I think rather than moving up. That said - the pressure on Marcus was immense and I think only benefitted me - which brings me back around - Scheme choice. Mainly Vendetta, Bait and Switch is such a safe 1 point. I over valued Myranda’s healing to the point where I assumed Let Them Bleed was out. Next time! 

So many decision points with Marcus and Lucius. I’m very happy with how we both played this game overall - nothing is straightforward with these keywords. Thanks for the great game, @Maniacal_cackle!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@LightningJuice I usually find one lawyer is plenty and two become awkward to get work out of. One Lawyer and one Changeling are core to most of my Lucius crews.

I'm glad Grimwell worked out well! I keep meaning to try him out.

Winning with Lucius is often a matter of inches - it's the one crew I might prefer to play on Vassal 😛

• Agree 1

Getting ready for round 3!

• Map: Winter’s End
  • Corner - Symbols of Authority
    • Vendetta
    • Claim Jump
    • Catch and Release
    • Let Them Bleed
    • Research Mission

Nice to have a pool that seems super suited to Marcus!

So obviously I'm going to plot-twist and declare Dreamer ;)

But jokes aside, I'm looking forward to a game where double Cerberus is probably optimal! There's a decent chance I'm against Crossroads 7 next round, which would be super interesting xD

6 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Getting ready for round 3!

• Map: Winter’s End
  • Corner - Symbols of Authority
    • Vendetta
    • Claim Jump
    • Catch and Release
    • Let Them Bleed
    • Research Mission

Nice to have a pool that seems super suited to Marcus!

So obviously I'm going to plot-twist and declare Dreamer ;)

But jokes aside, I'm looking forward to a game where double Cerberus is probably optimal! There's a decent chance I'm against Crossroads 7 next round, which would be super interesting xD

Bring the cats in to my bubble pls!  Unfortunately I think we can't be paired since the 2 other persons on 4 points already faced each other.

But the pairings have their own will, so who knows.

If we do get paired, it will indeed be interesting since if have to castle and protect the symbols against your high mobility crew (no don't mind me beside Doupleganger though).

The Scheme pools is decent for a castle strategy, but you can try to outplay me by avoiding my bubble and going for a low scoring game of Reseach mission and claim jump. Than, I'll have to move up the board to score and that'll free the symbols. 

The mind game begins!

Than I declare Colette 🤣

6 hours ago, SEV said:

Bring the cats in to my bubble pls!  Unfortunately I think we can't be paired since the 2 other persons on 4 points already faced each other.

But the pairings have their own will, so who knows.

If we do get paired, it will indeed be interesting since if have to castle and protect the symbols against your high mobility crew (no don't mind me beside Doupleganger though).

The Scheme pools is decent for a castle strategy, but you can try to outplay me by avoiding my bubble and going for a low scoring game of Reseach mission and claim jump. Than, I'll have to move up the board to score and that'll free the symbols. 

The mind game begins!

Than I declare Colette 🤣

Haha, I was going to surprise you with this information but feel I should warn you - it takes 2 1" engagement models to cover an empty symbol, so you may find that Don't Mind Me isn't always needed unless you can get terrain to line up.

20 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Haha, I was going to surprise you with this information but feel I should warn you - it takes 2 1" engagement models to cover an empty symbol, so you may find that Don't Mind Me isn't always needed unless you can get terrain to line up.

Actually you can cover a sybol on the border of the board with 1 1" model. So, in corner, you can caste 4 symbols deep in to your terrain half with exactly 6 models . This is perfect for my CR crew and that left one or 2 schemers to try to snag a point or 2 of symbols. 

This strategy doesn't work if you want to castle closer to the centre to score claim jump for example (this require a 3/1 split I think).

• Like 1

Lists are in!

I'm excited as I haven't played against that much Yan Lo, but it is a super cool crew.

My crew:

• Marcus & Lope
  • 2 Cerberus with AP.
  • Cojo with IR
  • Bandersnatch
  • Myranda

His crew:

• Yan & Porter
  • Chiaki
  • Yin w/ GST
  • Izamu
  • Sun Quiang
  • Sloth
  • Ashigaru

So looks like a build to make Izamu go superman and smash face really hard? Should be interesting seeing how that fares against a control player like me!

6-4 Victory!

My game plan was to kill Yin, and then just keep throwing a model in the centre so that he couldn't score claim jump (and then Cojo eventually scored it himself).

I ended up red-jokering with Bandersnatch TWICE while it was trying to kill Yin, so that was some pretty enormous upside... I had a plan for the full kill anyway, but that made it significantly easier!

I did get some annoying black jokers as well. I just got tons of jokers that game xD One of my Cerberus was just running around with no upgrades all game.

Yan Lo... Did crazy things xD

Overall, great game! Video coming soon.

• Like 3

Round 4!

• Map: The Dome
  • Flank Turf War
    • Breakthrough
    • Death Beds
    • Hidden Martyrs
    • Spread Them Out
    • Bait and Switch

The scheme pool is quite decent, with 4 reasonable options I think.

I usually end up having my models survive quite a long time, so I feel like Turf War may be a pretty good strategy for Marcus? Also good at picking off isolate models, so may do okay.

But flank deployment means whoever I am against may take a mobile brawl-y crew, which is something I hate to see.

The lists are in! We both tried to out-tech each other xD

My Neverborn Marcus:

• Marcus
  • Jackalope
  • Mature Nephilim + Ancient Pact
  • Mature Nephilim + Ancient Pact
  • Candy
  • The Scorpius
  • Will o' The Wisp
  • 4 stones

My thinking was it was pretty much guaranteed that he would have two cache kitties, so I wanted a crew that was difficult for cache kitties to kill. Mature neph can't be cheated against in melee, and once scorpius is armor 2, kitties have a 1/2/3 damage track against it.

The tricky parts were Candy vs Hinamatsu. Hinamatsu is a lot easier to keep alive, but sucks against the terrain on the table. So I ended up going Candy. When I had Hinamatsu in the list, I had an Order Initiate over the wisp, but with Candy I felt like I need more stones to get decent value out of her.

Wisp is sweet due to 2" engage and being a bit of extra AP.

His Arcanist Marcus (boooooo)

• Marcus
  • Jackalope
  • Cerberus + Soulstone Cache
  • Cerberus + Soulstone Cache
  • Amina Naidu
  • Soulstone Miner
  • Order Initiate + Magical Training
  • 6 stones

So Amina is there because Chimera loves to charge and is really vulnerable to obey, I assume. But unfortunately for him, I only hired one Chimera model! So will be interesting to see how that pans out. EDIT: She also produces soulstones and can make kitties fast, so that's unfortunate.

His crew has more raw power, but mine is more strongly teched against his build. Let's see what happens!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Round 4 is...

ARCANIST MARCUS VS NEVERBORN MARCUS!!!!

HYPE!!!!!!!

If I win, I think I get 4th place for the event :D

For what its worth I make you end 2nd-5th if you win, depending on how other results go. (for second you need Dixon to win, and you need to get a 3 point better win than Dixon gets (or Dixon to draw and you score +6 or better in your game to overtake Vladislavs), as well as a better result than Kenny, where as 5th can happen if the top table draw, and you don't get a better result than Kenny and Dixon). 

Good luck. Its always interesting to see a inter faction mirror match. Since its a common claim that Arcanist Marcus is much better than Neverborn Marcus, I'm routing for you. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Adran said:

For what its worth I make you end 2nd-5th if you win, depending on how other results go. (for second you need Dixon to win, and you need to get a 3 point better win than Dixon gets (or Dixon to draw and you score +6 or better in your game to overtake Vladislavs), as well as a better result than Kenny, where as 5th can happen if the top table draw, and you don't get a better result than Kenny and Dixon). 

Good luck. Its always interesting to see a inter faction mirror match. Since its a common claim that Arcanist Marcus is much better than Neverborn Marcus, I'm routing for you. 

Yeah, my goal for this month is to essentially demonstrate that Neverborn Marcus is WAY better than people think, and really only falls over in really top level play. And so if I beat Cracol, I will manage to both defeat a good Arcanist Marcus player AND go undefeated with Neverborn Marcus.

I'd be very happy with the month! If I win (or even if I don't), I hope to make a video breaking down the strengths of Neverborn Marcus and what people should be looking to break if they want to be on the Neverborn side of things.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1