Capital City Crew Podcast: Euripides and the Savage Keyword

Gaston

50 minutes ago, extremor said:

sounds like a very interesting crew to play with!!! ... If only they weren’t so „ugly“ 😢 has anyone seen a beautiful savage crew? (Sorry but I am a very aesthetic focused kind of guy 🤷🏻‍♀️)

@Gaston awesome work. Thank you!

How dare you insult my beautiful boys, apologise to them, the Geryon in particular. 😛

I haven't listened yet, but would disagree on your notes on the Candy bomb, if she bombs herself up it requires her to activate and win a duel, meaning she has lost manipulative and corrupted Innocence. Shattering shove has her unactivated in the middle of the enemy crew, the best place for her to be. Won't disagree on it being resource intensive, and it's not something you'll try every game. 

Great work! It's great to see some love for Euripides and his gigant crew. I'm really looking forward to trying him in a real (not virtual) game soon. I'm surprised that you rate the Cyclopes so low. They have low defense for sure, but they are so versatile and great schemers! (...and awesome models too!)
I'd like to test your suggested listbuilding tips anyway. My "special take" on a super mobile and annoying list includes this:

New Euripides Crew (Neverborn)
Size: 50 - Pool: 5
Leader:
  Euripides
Totem(s):
  Primordial Magic
Hires:
  Thoon
  Cyclops
  The Damned
  Black Blood Shaman
  Vasilisa
  Mysterious Effigy
    Effigy of Fate

First turn, BBS gives focus to the whole crew. He gets a free action from Vasilisa, grows to mature nephilim, she goes in front of the crew to still add 1'' movement to others, drags the effigy with her and interact for scheme marker. Whole crew (now with two focuses) does it's things. Thoon can move 14" anywhere with incorporeal. If it's possible, Cyclops casts pillar (Thoon's intuition helps greatly). Euripides teleports up the field and block oponent with as many pillars as possible. The Damned run and leap forward. Effigy lures the mature to the scheme marker and moves up. 

After first turn, you should have most of your crew near the center line, with full focus, oponent partially blocked and all set up to ativate Vasilisa, pull the strings again, let her fly with nephilim to the Effigy and move both of them up the board again. Oponent should have enough problems caused by crew being in his face. You wanna end your turn moving the Effigy into engagement. 

Third turn, oposing crew should get staggered from puppets, Euripides and Emissary attacks against movement, creating more and more obstacles. Cyclops supports from behind with "autostagger". 

I tested the first two turns several times and it can be surprisingly consistent. Is it worth it? I hope so. Seems fun anyway. I played a full game with Vasilisa and BBS only and it was viable. Needle and thread is a serious threat (😀) with staggered all over the place. Even with small Wicked dolls.

13 hours ago, extremor said:

sounds like a very interesting crew to play with!!! ... If only they weren’t so „ugly“ 😢 has anyone seen a beautiful savage crew? (Sorry but I am a very aesthetic focused kind of guy 🤷🏻‍♀️)

@Gaston awesome work. Thank you!

Ugly? Gigants are one of the aestethically most pleasing crews in whole Malifaux and my reason to play Neverborn in the new edition. 😉

euripides crew.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Barrin said:

Great work! It's great to see some love for Euripides and his gigant crew. I'm really looking forward to trying him in a real (not virtual) game soon. I'm surprised that you rate the Cyclopes so low. They have low defense for sure, but they are so versatile and great schemers! (...and awesome models too!)
I'd like to test your suggested listbuilding tips anyway. My "special take" on a super mobile and annoying list includes this:

New Euripides Crew (Neverborn)
Size: 50 - Pool: 5
Leader:
  Euripides
Totem(s):
  Primordial Magic
Hires:
  Thoon
  Cyclops
  The Damned
  Black Blood Shaman
  Vasilisa
  Mysterious Effigy
    Effigy of Fate

First turn, BBS gives focus to the whole crew. He gets a free action from Vasilisa, grows to mature nephilim, she goes in front of the crew to still add 1'' movement to others, drags the effigy with her and interact for scheme marker. Whole crew (now with two focuses) does it's things. Thoon can move 14" anywhere with incorporeal. If it's possible, Cyclops casts pillar (Thoon's intuition helps greatly). Euripides teleports up the field and block oponent with as many pillars as possible. The Damned run and leap forward. Effigy lures the mature to the scheme marker and moves up. 

After first turn, you should have most of your crew near the center line, with full focus, oponent partially blocked and all set up to ativate Vasilisa, pull the strings again, let her fly with nephilim to the Effigy and move both of them up the board again. Oponent should have enough problems caused by crew being in his face. You wanna end your turn moving the Effigy into engagement. 

Third turn, oposing crew should get staggered from puppets, Euripides and Emissary attacks against movement, creating more and more obstacles. Cyclops supports from behind with "autostagger". 

I tested the first two turns several times and it can be surprisingly consistent. Is it worth it? I hope so. Seems fun anyway. I played a full game with Vasilisa and BBS only and it was viable. Needle and thread is a serious threat (😀) with staggered all over the place. Even with small Wicked dolls.

Ugly? Gigants are one of the aestethically most pleasing crews in whole Malifaux and my reason to play Neverborn in the new edition. 😉

euripides crew.jpeg

Having played against the crew a number of times, Cyclops are the bane of my existence. They are some of the hardest-to-counter schemers in the game just sitting in their own backfield. They have bad stats, sure, but their defensiveness is positional. It also puts them in a great place for counter-scheming.

On 6/13/2021 at 6:39 AM, Durza said:

How dare you insult my beautiful boys, apologise to them, the Geryon in particular. 😛

I haven't listened yet, but would disagree on your notes on the Candy bomb, if she bombs herself up it requires her to activate and win a duel, meaning she has lost manipulative and corrupted Innocence. Shattering shove has her unactivated in the middle of the enemy crew, the best place for her to be. Won't disagree on it being resource intensive, and it's not something you'll try every game. 

I think that holding the resource for On Your Heels is key there. The last game I played I activated her last and targeted the lowest WP model in a crowd. I held a stone and a 13 to teleport her there and it was worth both resources.

You are right about the combo being something you wont use every game, but it's also something you don't have to waste that much AP on. As with everything in this game, it's a tool in your pocket. A huge part of the game is knowing when you need a wrench vs a screwdriver.

• Like 1

I really didn't respond to this when I should have, so I want to take a second to say that I think this is an excellent breakdown of Euri.

I'm 12 games into playing him now and this has answered some questions I found myself asking about him (specifically about the viability of Cyclops). It also solved the Old Ways problem I had by introducing the BBS.

This guide is incredible, well thought out, and instructive.

The only thing I would add is to be careful of Rune-Etched ice and pillar placement since it does affect your own models. It can be a tricky thing to use when you have melee beaters in place.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2021 at 10:38 AM, Azkral said:

What about changelings? They create pillars for 5 Stones.

Give it a try, my suspicion is that it may end up being awkward (I haven't tried it).

(Off memory, apologies if inaccurate) If you go off a Cyclops, you need a 9Tomes. If you go off of Euripides, you only need an 8 for 1 pillar. The issue with Euripides is that you are not immune to the Mv duel, so it makes placing them for your own crew a bit fiddly.

Also, 5ss is 10% of your crew. Is it worth 10% of your crew to put down a pillar a turn?

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 3:41 PM, Gaston said:

Give it a try, my suspicion is that it may end up being awkward (I haven't tried it).

(Off memory, apologies if inaccurate) If you go off a Cyclops, you need a 9Tomes. If you go off of Euripides, you only need an 8 for 1 pillar. The issue with Euripides is that you are not immune to the Mv duel, so it makes placing them for your own crew a bit fiddly.

Also, 5ss is 10% of your crew. Is it worth 10% of your crew to put down a pillar a turn?

well cyclops need a 6T to place 2 pillars using the old ways. with a 8T the changeling places 2 pilars too(and do damage) and adds some flexibility enabling thoon trigger a second time the same turn for example

• 3 months later...