Sovereign - Sound of Thunder only on first move?

I was watching a Vassal battle report and a player tried to use the Sound of Thunder on his second move but was told by the opponent he could only use it the first time Sovereign moved.  Is this true?  And if so, why?  Thanks.

Yes it's true. As it is written now there's no "may" for the effect. So it's just once per activation when this model moves X happens. Not when this model moves it may have X happen. Or at least that's how I understand it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

As I was rereading the card that was sort of how I was thinking it could be interpreted as well since it is an ability (always active) and only once an activation.  I guess it is made more for getting stuck in and then when other models move him shenanigans.  thanks.

1 hour ago, muraki said:

The Shadow Emissary has a similar issue with his dragon's fire ability. 

There's a slight difference. Soveriegn's ability procs on Moved, so will always be the first move.  The Shadow Emissary's ability procs on Placed, and while you usually place when you move with the Shadow Emissary, Flight is a "may" on being placed, so the Shadow Emissary can forgo the benefit of Flight while moving if it wants to proc Dragon's Fire on the second move.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, bstorz said:

As I was rereading the card that was sort of how I was thinking it could be interpreted as well since it is an ability (always active) and only once an activation.  I guess it is made more for getting stuck in and then when other models move him shenanigans.  thanks.

It is a once per activation ability, so it does still go off if another model moves it during their activation, as well as when it moves during its own activation. 

What you can't do is Fly With Me and then Charge and get the Sound of Thunder on the Charge. 

• Thanks 2