Jump to content

Symbols - placements for each deployment


Recommended Posts

Does anyone already have sketched up the 'ideal' placements for Symbols in each deployment zone? I know terrain may affect it, but a simple guide to 'this is generally the best spread' on each deployment type would be helpful as a pre-game tool. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Does anyone already have sketched up the 'ideal' placements for Symbols in each deployment zone? I know terrain may affect it, but a simple guide to 'this is generally the best spread' on each deployment type would be helpful as a pre-game tool. 

Terrains effect on it is *immense* so much so that I'm sincerely not sure how it could be anything close to useful, the only thing you can say is that they should be as far apart as possible though that's not always the case

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rubs hands together

Matchup analysis! One of the most important components of playing Molly! I love this topic. Right, here's my thoughts with an attempt to do some structure.

Step 1: Identify your opponent's plan for scoring symbols.

Perhaps your opponent is playing a crew that uses Tara or First Mate to pick up all four symbols, or Jedza with Damned + Archivist so they have two scheme runners who can accomplish it.

Perhaps they play a Molly crew where they have Yin + Dead Rider + Manos + Archie + Crooligan and can use their whole crew to run symbols if necessary.

Or perhaps they're playing a bulldozer bubble crew where their whole crew just rolls over the symbols.

Step 2: identify how to disrupt that plan.

For the cases where my opponent has only 1-2 scheme runners (like Tara), I usually prioritise killing their scheme runner and place the symbols so that it is naturally hard for one model to pick up all four. I tend to place 2 against the right wall 8" apart, and 2 against the left wall 8" apart. This ensures that between symbol 2 and 3, they have to cross the maximum amount of distance to continue scoring - especially difficult if I'm focused on killing them!

For cases where the entire crew can run the symbols (like Molly), consider a castle formation. Last game against Titania, my opponent put three in an 8" triangle together, and one off to the far right. I only got one symbol that game (the one on the far right). He used his powerful crew to just defend the other three, and make it impossible for me to breach his base (although careful with this strategy - I ended up winning on schemes).

Step 3: Profit

I thought there were more steps, but that's the basics. So the things I commonly use or encourage are:

  • 2/2 split against the walls, making it so your opponent can't score the third symbol with only one model.
    • Good for when you want to kill their scheme runner(s).
  • 3/1 castle or 4/0 castle, where you put symbols together and defend them (Ashigaru against a crew without Don't Mind Me).
  • Just spread out
    • Although I can't think of a time I actually recommend this, it must come up sometimes. Probably if your opponent has tons of options for scoring and you don't plan to castle.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Step 3: Profit

I thought there were more steps, but that's the basics. So the things I commonly use or encourage are:

  • 2/2 split against the walls, making it so your opponent can't score the third symbol with only one model.
    • Good for when you want to kill their scheme runner(s).
  • 3/1 castle or 4/0 castle, where you put symbols together and defend them (Ashigaru against a crew without Don't Mind Me).
  • Just spread out
    • Although I can't think of a time I actually recommend this, it must come up sometimes. Probably if your opponent has tons of options for scoring and you don't plan to castle.

Yeah, I never "just spread out". The most I do is a 2/1/1 split (2center, 1 at opposing table sides), when I know my opponent has light scheme runners and I a hard hitting flanker. My main crew defends 2 tokens and my flanker picks to attack the weaker side, 1 token is sacrificed to the opponent.

What should be noted is: don't put your center to far back. Put it where you want to end turn #2. It won't help much to defend your tokens on your backfield, where you have no chance to score yourself. It might seem obvious, but I've seen people make this mistake.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, fire5tone said:

Terrains effect on it is *immense* so much so that I'm sincerely not sure how it could be anything close to useful, the only thing you can say is that they should be as far apart as possible though that's not always the case

Sure, but there is a huge difference in options for a Corner Deployment vs Flank vs Standard vs Wedge (wedge seems like the hardest as you can get two back in the corners far from the opponent).  

11 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:
  • 2/2 split against the walls, making it so your opponent can't score the third symbol with only one model.
    • Good for when you want to kill their scheme runner(s).
  • 3/1 castle or 4/0 castle, where you put symbols together and defend them (Ashigaru against a crew without Don't Mind Me).
  • Just spread out
    • Although I can't think of a time I actually recommend this, it must come up sometimes. Probably if your opponent has tons of options for scoring and you don't plan to castle.

I haven't tried the 2/2 split. Might have more success with that. When you castle are you just putting them in a more or less 8"ish square I assume?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, use the terrain to your advantage. I will often choose a slightly off position if I can put the symbols on raise part of the board, in severe or hazardous terrain. Obviously this depends of your opponent crew. If his scheme runner have leap, putting the symbols on a high 2 terrain is les effective, if they're incorporeal there's no point of using the hazardous or severe, etc.

I like the 3-1, you can also do a 4-0 castle and try to defend all 4 (exept in wedge). This is really tough though since you'll face you whole opponent crew and will have to defend more ground. Still doable with a strong bubble crew.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Sure, but there is a huge difference in options for a Corner Deployment vs Flank vs Standard vs Wedge (wedge seems like the hardest as you can get two back in the corners far from the opponent).  

I haven't tried the 2/2 split. Might have more success with that. When you castle are you just putting them in a more or less 8"ish square I assume?

I don't castle very often, but that could work, or three in a triangle and the other one far away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information