2021 Monthly Painting Challenge - June

Caedrus

Greetings, fellow painters, and welcome to the Monthly Painting Challenge for June!

Everything you need to know for the Challenge is right HERE.

After May's Base Challenge (and I think I recognise a few of my fellow painter's entries, based on styles!), it's time for a new challenge. You see, for we folks in the Southern Hemisphere, it's the start of Winter! For the Northerners, it's the start of Summer. You couldn't manage a greater contrast. So, for June, welcome to:

The Contrast Challenge!

There are so many ways to create contrast in miniature painting. Brightness is the obvious one. But what about saturation? Temperature? Value? Texture?

For the month of June, I want to see your contrast experiments! Experiment and have fun!

Have a fantastic June, look after yourself and your loved ones, and keep those brushes damp!

Caedrus.

• Like 4

Caedrus, reporting in!

For the month of June, I will be attempting to finish my long-standing project (Hannah), my NMM experiment (Lazarus Alt), and to finish my Sonnia Crew (looking at you, Thralls!).

g4wIIYN.jpg

09HUYd9.jpg

Of course, I'll also find something interesting to paint in the greatest amount of contrast, for my self-imposed Monthly Challenge!

Picture to come! Have a great June, everyone!

Caedrus.

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Caedrus said:

The Contrast Challenge!

There are so many ways to create contrast in miniature painting. Brightness is the obvious one. But what about saturation? Temperature? Value? Texture?

For the month of June, I want to see your contrast experiments! Experiment and have fun!

You forgot contrast of contrast! 

• Haha 1

On 6/6/2021 at 2:00 AM, Stranglelove said:

I got the Jedza box and felt inspired to set-up a makeshift painting area:

P9AuBd8.jpg

Jedza's minis look even nicer than i thought 😍. MUST FIGHT THE URGE OF GETTING INTO A NEW FACTION

June looks like it's going to be a month with very little hobby time... i think I will manage to paint the 2 thunder archers i have left unpainted (the 3rd one was my entry for the flowers & showers painting competition, i just posted it in the may thread).

@Caedrus somehow i missed your may pledge, i saw it now, the void hunters are spot on 👌. Did you use colorshift paint on them???

1 hour ago, lusciousmccabe said:

@Boomstick Love the cast shadows under the models. What's with all the Corgi's? Noticed the first one, then another when going through the photos, then there were more everywhere I looked. Thought I was going mad for a minute there. 

Thnak you! Maybe you are? What corgis..?

😛 I kid, I kid. I needed something to cast the shadows for the Umbras to rise out from (or take the Bocken on walks, they're dangerous and shouldn't be left to their own devices) that would fit on the bases without crowding the models out, and with my love for themes, I needed a way to work Ein into this Cowboy Bebop themed crew, with no canines in sight. Two birds, one shadow-y, stone.

• Like 2

I got some malifaux painting done early this month, so I'm gonna post now, then post again if I finish more. (Maybe I'll even get around to basing as I'm getting closer to having good batches for basing together) 

3 Akanane (12ss) for my Asami & Bayou crews. Orange nail polish as the tie in to my Asami crew... I also especially like the apple core. 

(All contrast paints, so kinda hits the monthly contest, even though I painted them at beginning of month before reading the contest :)

Might still add splotches to make them more dirty trash demons. Or maybe try tattooing.

-y0qtwd.jpg

• Like 7

Hey everybody! I just wanted to give some props to everybody contributing here. 
I finally got back to painting (some pix will follow soon-ish) and seeing all the marvelous work everybody's sharing here really helps me a lot in keeping the motivation up. You guys rock 🤓

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

June hobby time is tight... a project i started is taking longer than expected, and I still haven't decided for a color scheme of my last blossom keyword.

I don't know if we're allowed to do this, but can i change my pledge form the thunder archers to 2 onryo?

I have the scheme color for my urami super clear, and i'm certain the paint job that will make me happy, will be faster than whatever scheme & style would leave me satisfied with the archers.

Funny thing is that when looking for inspiration i found that our beloved forum member @Viruk has done his urami crew the way i pictured it in my head, I specially love the gaki  :D 

So if by any chance you remember how you did the gaki paintjob, i'll appreciate some tips. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/23/2021 at 2:05 PM, Diddick said:

So if by any chance you remember how you did the gaki paintjob, i'll appreciate some tips. Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words mate!

The Gaki were fun to work with! I painted these a few years ago so can't really recall specific steps but in general you should aim for 2-3 highlights based on light brown going into bleached bone-like shade (could be even achieved with semi-dry brush). After that a generous wash of watered down light brown wash, followed by darker one applied mainly in the recesses. You can even do some dark wash in the deepest shades. That can be followed with a focused drybrush of bleached bone on the edges. 

As for the dirt - either use dry pigments or a torn sponge (like the one that comes with Wyrd boxes). Dip that sponge in dark brown, remove the excess of paint and apply randomly to the areas that would be seeing some serious wear and tear. 

As for the skin, similar process but purplish washes apply.

Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1

Caedrus, Reporting in!

Greeting everyone! First of all, an apology. I’ve been crazily busy over the last few weeks, and had barely enough time to do any of the fun th9ings that make life worth living!

However, now that I am over the hump of grown-up responsibilities (for the moment, at least), I can actually do some fun stuff. I’ve been working on a few projects in the last few weeks. Hers goes!

First of all, with my Obliteration keyword finally finished, I moved onto another nearly-finished project, being my Witch Hunters. Now, with the Hush box being released, I can get the final members of the team, but in the meantime, I had to get started on my Thalarian Quellers. Here’s where they are at, so far!

1zPrckJ.jpg

Next up, I had a couple of Exorcists built, and with the Marshal keyword looking almost complete, it was time to do some work on this dire duo. Here they are!

u9h9uES.jpg

On the topic of nearly-completed keywords, my Freikorps finally got a bit of heavy support. No, it’s not the Hannah (that’s still a work in progress…), but rather, the Alt Lazarus!

HkAC6iQ.jpg

This guy took forever, but it was worth it in the end. Lots of fun was had on this miniature, and lots of learning. There are still skills to continue to develop – OSL, NMM and airbrushing are the obvious three), but I had fun, and that’s the main thing!

Next, my Flowers and Showers entry.

I painted an Avatar of Zoraida, and a slew of roses to go along with it. It wasn’t successful in winning anything, but I had fun doing it! The flowers are all 3D printed, which was a bit of a learning curve!

CtcLzB9.jpg

So, that’s what I’m up to for the moment. Hopefully I can get the Exorcists and Quellers ready by the end of June.

I'll be back soon with some feedback and comments!

Caedrus.

• Like 8