Jedza

Morfil

As far as I remember, Jedza's biggest con is that she's a pretty hard bubble crew.  It can be a bit of a challenge for her to get to schemes that involve being really spread out.  The Damned is a very good schemer, but he's only one model.  If you get stuck with Symbols of Authority, it's going to be harder to do Outflank or Breakthrough just from not wanting to get too far from your crew. 

Well, that and not all her stuff is out yet, and she has a lot of models.  It's probably not strictly necessary to collect every model, but Tannenbaum in the starter box has her keyword, as do the things in the Here Lies box and neither of those is out 'til June.  And she really likes the Emissary.  And the Surveyors in Anya's core box technically have Seeker too. 

She's also fairly complicated, but Lynch isn't exactly straightforward either.  And he kind of likes his bubble too, though I think he can play a bit looser.  And complicated is both a pro and a con: Jedza's going to have a steep learning curve, but she's so much fun because of all the options and ways to mess with the board.  I think, from the little I've seen Lynch, he tends more towards putting your enemy in "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of places and using his auras to cut off parts of the board, where Jedza's more about terrain and movement and healing and manipulation?

Are there other Explorers masters you'd like to try out someday?  Or Ten Thunders ones?  Do any of the Versatile models in either faction catch your fancy?  I know TT has some good versatiles. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CateranLlama said:

As far as I remember, Jedza's biggest con is that she's a pretty hard bubble crew.  It can be a bit of a challenge for her to get to schemes that involve being really spread out.  The Damned is a very good schemer, but he's only one model.  If you get stuck with Symbols of Authority, it's going to be harder to do Outflank or Breakthrough just from not wanting to get too far from your crew. 

Well, that and not all her stuff is out yet, and she has a lot of models.  It's probably not strictly necessary to collect every model, but Tannenbaum in the starter box has her keyword, as do the things in the Here Lies box and neither of those is out 'til June.  And she really likes the Emissary.  And the Surveyors in Anya's core box technically have Seeker too. 

She's also fairly complicated, but Lynch isn't exactly straightforward either.  And he kind of likes his bubble too, though I think he can play a bit looser.  And complicated is both a pro and a con: Jedza's going to have a steep learning curve, but she's so much fun because of all the options and ways to mess with the board.  I think, from the little I've seen Lynch, he tends more towards putting your enemy in "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of places and using his auras to cut off parts of the board, where Jedza's more about terrain and movement and healing and manipulation?

Are there other Explorers masters you'd like to try out someday?  Or Ten Thunders ones?  Do any of the Versatile models in either faction catch your fancy?  I know TT has some good versatiles. 

Thank you. I have submitted this question into the ten thunders subforum. There I have got a lot of answers.

To be honest I prefer the neverborn overall, but  Jedza's and Lynch's design and art is outstanding for me:).

To answer your question I really dont know the mechanics and system, so I am gonna choose by appearence:), but if you can recommend me some all around master in terms of mechanics and gameplay I am going to check it.

Oh I checked again and English Ivan looks cool too:). How he plays?

• Like 2

Yeah, Lynch has been out for a while.  Jedza's still real new.  Not surprised you got more hits on him. 

I know less about Ivan, but I understand he's a good, brutal kind of all rounder.  He has a fair bit of variety in the people he can hire and nice summons.  Guns, buffs and debuffs, summons.  He'd probably make a solid compliment to Jedza. 

None of the Explorer's masters would go into a list I wrote of "the easiest 5 masters for new players" or similar.  I think the easier tier of ES masters would be ... maybe Cooper?  My mid-complexity nominations would be Anya, Basse, McCabe, Ivan, probably in that order.  And then Maxine and Jedza and Nexus are just complex. 

Actually, McCabe is both TT and ES.  If you bought him, you could learn the rules then stay in faction for either Jedza (and Ivan) or Lynch.  Not that faction is a hard must-stick-with-it thing.  But if you're angling for tournaments someday, most of them require you pick a faction, so learning 2-3 masters in one faction can be beneficial for that.

I know less about Neverborn or TT than most other factions, but my guess would be the "simplest" masters for those factions might be ... Nekima and maybe Mei Feng?  They're both pretty in-your-face though.  If you prefer control or tricks neither one is going to be up your alley. 

Do you play M:tG?  If so, what kinds of decks do you prefer?  Or pen-and-paper rpgs?  If so, is there a character archetype you gravitate towards?  Control, summoing, shooting, barbarians, tanks? 

I mean, "It's pretty!" is also a totally valid way to pick a master.  And don't let me talk you into something you don't like the looks of just because it's simple.  I'm the kind of person that did two or three weeks of reading, then picked the most complicated summoning master I liked the summons for, so I totally understand wanting something cool over something easy.

You could grow alot with the seeker keyword. It requires very strong positioning ability, but rewards that ability. Are you coming from other wargames? If so, you might do well with this crew. Her keyword offers a decent amount of versatility in hiring, most of her models have a situational role. The reason it requires strong positioning ability is any canny opponent can use any 30mm sz2 model to block los between Jedza and any model she is trying to keep alive. Accordingly, you usually have to be thinking a few activations ahead when making attacks, "where can I stand with Mikhail so that it is difficult to break los to jedza," for example. I find this process really rewarding, you might as well. If this process sounds tedious, you might wanna start elsewhere. 

She obviously can get counter hired by the models that stop healing, but there aren't a ton of them. Also, you will buy Anya to get the surveyors, so Anya can make a decent second keyword that isn't as reliant on healing and can also spread out easier for certain pools. 

• 3 weeks later...

Austera and Twigge is a great scheme runner as long as you have some good cheat cards in your control hand (just in case flips go bad). She can move 6 during start phase of first turn and has move of 6 on top, paired with eyes in the sky as an extra action you can get markers down early

Played another Jedza game today against shen long and won 5:3. my opponent was a good shen long player but didn’t know Jedza so maybe not representative.

we played break the line with martyrs, detonate charges, bait, breakthrough and vendetta. 
I chose martyrs on austera and effigy (with upgrade)  and detonate  but didn’t manage to detonate  

1. if left alone the lamplighter are decent schemers. They held their ground against wandering river monks scored and denied well. 

2. against fuhatsu, shen long and sensei even Jedzas bubble struggles. In turn 3 Jedza died and turn 4 I only had 3models. But the scheming went well. 

3. emissary was ok. Goo would have been way better. 

oh and my list was: 

New Jedza Crew (Explorer's Society)
Size: 50 - Pool: 6
Leader:
  Jedza
Totem(s):
  Sophie
Hires:
  Mikhail XVI
  The Damned
  Austera and Twigge
  Lamplighter
  Lamplighter 2
  Intrepid Effigy
    Effigy of Fate
References:
  Intrepid Emissary

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/25/2021 at 12:01 AM, extremor said:

Played another Jedza game today against shen long and won 5:3. my opponent was a good shen long player but didn’t know Jedza so maybe not representative.

we played break the line with martyrs, detonate charges, bait, breakthrough and vendetta. 
I chose martyrs on austera and effigy (with upgrade)  and detonate  but didn’t manage to detonate  

1. if left alone the lamplighter are decent schemers. They held their ground against wandering river monks scored and denied well. 

2. against fuhatsu, shen long and sensei even Jedzas bubble struggles. In turn 3 Jedza died and turn 4 I only had 3models. But the scheming went well. 

3. emissary was ok. Goo would have been way better. 

oh and my list was: 

New Jedza Crew (Explorer's Society)
Size: 50 - Pool: 6
Leader:
  Jedza
Totem(s):
  Sophie
Hires:
  Mikhail XVI
  The Damned
  Austera and Twigge
  Lamplighter
  Lamplighter 2
  Intrepid Effigy
    Effigy of Fate
References:
  Intrepid Emissary

I just ordered my Jedza models, finally jumping back into Malifaux after playing a lot of M2E.

I am planning a list almost exactly as yours, but with the Goo instead of Emissary.

I have been reading how people are not rating the Lamplighters, but from what I read on their cards they sounds fantastic, and I can't wait to have a go at a few games with Jedza. The look of Seekers got me interested, but reading their rules made my finally buy them, they just sounds so cool!