What's your favourite thunder?

Regelridderen

What's your favourite thunder?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Misaki is the most fun to me as she is very versatile. She can hang back and support her crew or be the tip of the spear. She darts in and out of combat and is just really easy to play.

Her keyword choices are superb too. Lots of things that just work.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

This is a tough one. I really like Misaki, but I'm not able to win games with her. I enjoyed Mei Feng, but haven't played any games post-errata to see how different it feels. Asami is my next love, but the nerf to summons may kill it as I get in future games.

2 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:

"Everyone Hates Shenlong".

I think it might be partly because he was the first "OP" (to the point of being nerfed) master right at the start of the edition, which may have put some people off him. He's pretty fun to play in my experience.

4 hours ago, Jinn said:

I think it might be partly because he was the first "OP" (to the point of being nerfed) master right at the start of the edition, which may have put some people off him. He's pretty fun to play in my experience.

Personally, I find his play style to be fairly bland. No real tricks. Just a versatile "good at everything, great at nothing" keyword that is very forgiving of mistakes. It's a great starting Master to learn the game with. I never found him to be OP, but I also started playing just before all of the game stores had to close down and never got to play against people outside of my basement. 

That said, I have thrown him down a few times, since. The fun thing for me about going between keywords is taking tricks I learned with one Master and apply the trick to another to see if it's viable. Then I play Misaki and lose. 🤣

56 minutes ago, regleant said:

I never found him to be OP, but I also started playing just before all of the game stores had to close down and never got to play against people outside of my basement. 

He was nerfed in March 2020 FYI. The Shenlong all stars fixed list that took first at the UK nationals was Shenlong (with pre-nerf Fermented River Style that gave easy :+flipto damage),  Kitty Dumont (pre-nerf), the Yasunori (pre-nerf), Minako Rei (pre-nerf), Ototo, and a single Low River Monk. Because Shenlong swept with a fixed list (and so early into the new edition) it definitely became a bit of a meme in the community to look down on Shenlong players, or to despise them, or fiercely recommend new players to avoid buying him at risk of alienating all of their friends and family :P.

The Monk keyword were generally considered to be pretty weak outside of Shenlong and Charm Warders, which left them, as a whole, pretty unpopular after the nerfs and, more importantly, lack of buffs (Wyrd I beg of you, please focus on buffing in the next errata). I think most people would prefer to hire in keyword models and it just isn't fun to hire/play with a High River Monk for example.

I think the current "meta" way to play him is to transfer fast and focused to Fuhatsu and then push him into position and go to town, but I haven't actually tried that list and I may be wrong.

Wasn't expecting to be a huge fan of Shenlong when I jumped ship from Neverborn at the edition change. Few games later and I loved the whole 1st turn strategy, monks punch monks for chi, stacking poison, transferring chi turning Shenlong into a monster and pushing everyone around with the Students. Reminded me a lot of Collodi and how placement, activation order and management are important.

Once Covid hit I didn't get the chance to play for 15 months, I was going to try Lynch or Asami for my first game back but took one look at Shen's card and was like "damn, this dude rocks".

Was out of the loop so had no clue about the all stars list, sounds nasty though for sure. Tended to play thematically for fun.

On 5/29/2021 at 6:15 PM, Jinn said:

The Monk keyword were generally considered to be pretty weak outside of Shenlong and Charm Warders, which left them, as a whole, pretty unpopular after the nerfs and, more importantly, lack of buffs (Wyrd I beg of you, please focus on buffing in the next errata). I think most people would prefer to hire in keyword models and it just isn't fun to hire/play with a High River Monk for example.

Another thing would be that the Monk keyword, is basically just guys in pyjamas. Which doesn't stand up that well, when your opponent fields cowboys with burning skulls, giant man-eater teddy bears or techno-zombies. Misaki and Yan Lo has their pyjama boys as well, but they've got plenty of other stuff as well.

Definitely Misaki. I love her mobility and scalpel approach to combat. She has some fun keyword models as well. Although the snipers aren't what they were last edition, all of the models in her keyword have a place from time to time.  She was easily my favorite Thunders master in M2e and keeps that status in this edition. 

I enjoy Asami, though TBH I haven't used all of the others.  I like the versatility of her summons (even if lessened due to the GG2 changes) and she's still got some summon scheming tricks even given the prohibition on summons interacting on the turn they're summoned.  Summoned Tengu can make another model interact.  Akaname can drop a marker (scheme/scrap/corpse) where needed. Obsidian Oni can get schemes/scrap out with triggers.  Katashiro can get scrap in almost any location (by dying).

• 1 year later...