Falling onto the model

Rex4r

Question

Hello.

I have 2 similar questions:

1. Model A stands on the roof of a building. Model B is on the ground btb to the building. Model A will move off the roof and must fall onto model B. What happens in this case?

2. Model A is at the top of the Destructible Terrain Ht 2+. Model B Sz 1 comes btb to this Terrain under Model A and destroys the Terrain. What happens in this case?

6 answers to this question

49 minutes ago, Rex4r said:

1. Model A stands on the roof of a building. Model B is on the ground btb to the building. Model A will move off the roof and must fall onto model B. What happens in this case?

In M2E, the answer was that you weren't allowed to have Model B's base overlap Model A, so the situation is not permitted to happen.

In first edition, the last sentence of falling is "Models with bases overlapped by the falling model after it lands are Pushed away from the model’s base in a direction of their controller’s choosing until their bases are no longer covered by the fallen model."  That's obviously exploitable, so it would likely be better to give the other player (the one not controlling the movement that caused the fall) control the choice of direction for pushing the falling model.

Applying both of those principles--that you're not allowed to move such that you fall on top of another model, and the fact that the other player fixes the game state--is probably the least problematic.

🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, solkan said:

In M2E, the answer was that you weren't allowed to have Model B's base overlap Model A, so the situation is not permitted to happen.

But what about bridges and buildings with multiple floors?

If model A is on the roof or 2nd+ floor of a building above the 1st floor door, then model B cannot enter through the 1st floor door because it will cause an overlap ??

If Model A is on the bridge's archway, then Model B cannot move under archway because it will cause an overlap??

image.thumb.png.de939061e4a525114c8daed73d75f37d.png

It's super strange 😕

By the way, what is an "overlap"? There is no definition of this concept in the rules, but in the text it is used only in the sense of "one base stands on another base" and, according to this definition, the bases can be one above the other if they do not touch each other.

59 minutes ago, Rex4r said:

But what about bridges and buildings with multiple floors?

What about them, and why are you quoting the M2E “You’re not allowed to fall onto another model” part of the answer when the M1.5E part actually gives you something to use in that situation?

13 minutes ago, solkan said:

What about them, and why are you quoting the M2E “You’re not allowed to fall onto another model” part of the answer when the M1.5E part actually gives you something to use in that situation?

You said

1 hour ago, solkan said:

Can I place one model above another if they are at different heights (for example: table and bridge archway, 1st floor and roof)?

1 hour ago, Rex4r said:

You said

Can I place one model on top of another if they are at different Ht (for example: table and archway, 1st floor and roof)?

Strictly speaking, nothing in the rules allows that even if they are different heights. (at least not that I can see). All I find is 

At no point can a model end any move with its base overlapping the base of another model, even if the model is able to move through the other model.

It is in part because there isn't anything other than the bridge/walkway rules that talks about models on different heights. And that doesn't give you permission to overlap bases. Overlapping bases doesn't have to mean that they are touching, you can overlap a base despite being a different height to it. 

I know that seems crazy and is unlikely to have been followed, but that is what we have rules for. 

Terrain rules can have some very strange outcomes, so it is always worth talking with your opponent about the terrain before you start the game. If you have a building with multiple floors you can use, or destructible terrain that you can enter and climb on, you probably should point these out before the game begins and decide how you want the rules for them to be.  

Based on that the answers are (subject to what you as players decided in your terrain rules when discussing it in setting up the game)

In 1 the model can't move off the top of the building if there isn't space to land. 

In 2, you can't stand directly underneath another model. (Its really not a good idea to destroy terrain that you are standing in. If I had a terrain piece that you could enter and was destructible and had a higher level, then I would have some bad effects happen to the model inside the terrain when they caused the roof to fall on their head)

• Agree 1