Infiltrator and terrifying test

Giovanni Canzanella

Question

If my Operative with the Infiltrator ability attacks an Enemy with Terrifying, do I have to take the Terrifying test? On the Terryfing ability reads: "After an ENEMY  model targets this model etc...".
Seems to me that, since the Operative is NOT considered Enemy, I don't have to do the Terrifying test, am I right?

Schermata 2021-05-15 alle 19.35.02.png

15 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Erik1978 said:

Overpowered? You must mean other instances than a terrifying check then? An Operative is a very squishy model that doesn't hit very hard. Sure, you can get some fun stuff out of Infiltrator but overpowered? :)

My english is not perfect, maybe overpowered is not the right word. What I mean is they are very powerful unit, maybe even too much for their costs.
I had a game vs a Dreamer last week and I can tell you I won basically thanks to my 2 Operatives, hiding in the back and being untargetable by the Dreamer. Since they are not considered enemies, even when they fail the WP tests, the Dreamer still can't Unbury its summons.
And since they have positive flip when they shot into Friendly Fire, I killed Lord Chompy just shooting with them, while my Intrepid Emissary tanked him. True, they are fragile but still I thik they are worth more than their 5ss, imho :)

13 minutes ago, Giovanni Canzanella said:

My english is not perfect, maybe overpowered is not the right word. What I mean is they are very powerful unit, maybe even too much for their costs.
I had a game vs a Dreamer last week and I can tell you I won basically thanks to my 2 Operatives, hiding in the back and being untargetable by the Dreamer. Since they are not considered enemies, even when they fail the WP tests, the Dreamer still can't Unbury its summons.
And since they have positive flip when they shot into Friendly Fire, I killed Lord Chompy just shooting with them, while my Intrepid Emissary tanked him. True, they are fragile but still I thik they are worth more than their 5ss, imho :)

That does sound like you found the perfect situation for them. 

Dreamer can't use your Nightmare on them, or the Bam your turn trigger, (or unbury his summons) but he can hit them with the cricket bat or shoot them with Twist reality. (And I would have thought that Dreamer wanted to be twisting reality the Emissary since its a wp damaging attack that ignores armour)

Lots of enemy crews don't do anything that Infiltrator would help with. Bu when they are good, they can be very good. 

Just now, Adran said:

he can hit them with the cricket bat or shoot them with Twist reality. (And I would have thought that Dreamer wanted to be twisting reality the Emissary since its a wp damaging attack that ignores armour)

Indeed, he would have done so if Winston (I was playing with Anya Lycarayen) didn't appear out of nowhere and dragged the Dreamer far away from the Operatives ;)

That being said, maybe you are right: there are certainly tons of other crews that the Operatives won't be helpful against (strong beaters like Viks, Perdita or Levi, just to name a few)

2 minutes ago, Giovanni Canzanella said:

Indeed, he would have done so if Winston (I was playing with Anya Lycarayen) didn't appear out of nowhere and dragged the Dreamer far away from the Operatives ;)

That being said, maybe you are right: there are certainly tons of other crews that the Operatives won't be helpful against (strong beaters like Viks, Perdita or Levi, just to name a few)

Just to let you know, he could have used protected to make a different nightmare take the dirigible ride. (I have no idea if he could in that game, but in general its an attack action so he can pass it off to another nightmare, even one that isn't size 2.) 

Just now, Adran said:

its an attack action so he can pass it off to another nightmare, even one that isn't size 2.

Oh is that so? Indeed he could have pass the Dirigible Ride attack to Lord Chompy but since Chompy is Sz3, I just supposed that he couldn't take the attack. Well, the more you know :)

Just now, Giovanni Canzanella said:

Oh is that so? Indeed he could have pass the Dirigible Ride attack to Lord Chompy but since Chompy is Sz3, I just supposed that he couldn't take the attack. Well, the more you know :)

"Protected (Nightmare): After this model is targeted by an enemy Attack Action, it may discard a card to change the target to a friendly Nightmare model within 2" of this model (ignoring range, LoS, and targeting restrictions)."

Is the ability. The Sz 2 or less is a targeting restriction, which it will ignore. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Adran said:

"Protected (Nightmare): After this model is targeted by an enemy Attack Action, it may discard a card to change the target to a friendly Nightmare model within 2" of this model (ignoring range, LoS, and targeting restrictions)."

Is the ability. The Sz 2 or less is a targeting restriction, which it will ignore. 

Alright, so this means I can still move Chompy if I win the duel? Nice to know..but in this case I still have to take the Terrifying test with Winston?

6 minutes ago, Giovanni Canzanella said:

Alright, so this means I can still move Chompy if I win the duel? Nice to know..but in this case I still have to take the Terrifying test with Winston?

No, the new FAQ says this (relevant section in bold) (section 2)

12 If a model has multiple Abilities that resolve after it is targeted (such as Terrifying (X), Protected (X), or another model’s Take the Hit Ability) can it resolve more than one?*

a) Yes. When a model is targeted all effects that would resolve are generated at the same time and can be resolved in any order (as per Simultaneous Effects on Pg 34). However, some effects may change the target of the Action, in which case that new model is not targeted and as such those effects aren’t generated a second time. Additionally, abilities such as Manipulative that affect Actions that target “this model” only apply to those Actions that are still targeting that model. For example, if a model with Take the Hit changes the target of an Action to itself, it would not benefit from any of the initial target’s Abilities such as Manipulative that require the Action to target “this model”, nor could it benefit from more of its own abilities that resolve when it is targeted (such as Terrifying).

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Erik1978 said:

@Adran

Does that mean if Dreamer passes an attack on to Chompy you DO have to resolve Dreamer's serene countenance but not Chompy's terrifying?

You don't have to resolve any of them. Abilities of initial target do not move to the new target. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Erik1978 said:

@Adran

Does that mean if Dreamer passes an attack on to Chompy you DO have to resolve Dreamer's serene countenance but not Chompy's terrifying?

You resolve neither - see fresh bolded section regards to serene countenance

1 hour ago, Adran said:

No, the new FAQ says this (relevant section in bold) (section 2)

12 If a model has multiple Abilities that resolve after it is targeted (such as Terrifying (X), Protected (X), or another model’s Take the Hit Ability) can it resolve more than one?*

a) Yes. When a model is targeted all effects that would resolve are generated at the same time and can be resolved in any order (as per Simultaneous Effects on Pg 34). However, some effects may change the target of the Action, in which case that new model is not targeted and as such those effects aren’t generated a second time. Additionally, abilities such as Manipulative that affect Actions that target “this model” only apply to those Actions that are still targeting that model. For example, if a model with Take the Hit changes the target of an Action to itself, it would not benefit from any of the initial target’s Abilities such as Manipulative that require the Action to target “this model”, nor could it benefit from more of its own abilities that resolve when it is targeted (such as Terrifying).

• Thanks 1