Outcast List Building on a Budget.

Khyodee

Hey folks, I could use some help on my Building on a Budget series of videos for S&S. The idea is to follow these guidelines:
1) Make a competitive list with some flexibility if possible
2) Limit the initial purchases to 2-3 boxes (less is better)
3) Focus on Keyword models followed by good Versatiles
4) Generally avoid non-faction models (except those in master box) and taxed models

The color coding is
-Green are first purchases (required or highly recommended)
-Yellow are second tier purchases to really tune your list
-Orange are third tier purchases that will improve your lists flexibility
-Red are optional purchases if you want them (the rest of the keyword and versatile models)

amalgam.jpg
bandit.jpg
friekorps.jpg
infamous-3.jpg
mercenary.jpg
obliteration.jpg
plague.jpg
tormented-2.jpg

• Like 1

If you had to pick a crew box to be green, I agree it's Loyalty to Coin, but honestly the only models I really consider core for the Viks are in the master box. I branch to versatile as much as other mercenary models after Vanessa and some ronin. I would bump the starter box up to Orange for sure. Yannic could make Desperate Mercs worthwhile, and the Brawler is amazing at keeping the Viks upright if you have to fight in the middle.

21 minutes ago, CateranLlama said:

Technically the Bayou Smugglers are in Parker's keyword, but I haven't been able to get any use out of them since they were errata'd so hard way back when.

You used them pre-errata?!

Do tell, what did you do with them?

• Agree 1

That was back when Power Ritual/Outflank was a thing.  I think it was that you could use the "eat a scheme marker and gain fast" to walk, walk, charge, stone for a knock away on their 2 inch melee, use the 0 action to eat a scheme marker at range 2.  So it was a reasonable defense against corner Power Ritual/Outflank.

• Like 1

For your Bandit one, I'd switch around the yellow and orange a bit.

Dead Outlaws just don't do it for me in a Bandit crew.  In Tormented keyword they're gold, but in Bandit outside of putting on Staggered or Slow they have minimal use and other minions outshine them.  Their ability to put Fast on a model is only really useful IME to Sue, and getting that to work is situational.  I'd bumpt them down to orange. 

The ones you've got in yellow, the Emissary/Effigy should be top of that list.  The Emissary in Bandit is super good.   
Wokou Raiders come in next for me.  Definitely need bumping up from Orange.  I'd use them far more often than a Dead Outlaw.  

The Paid in Blood box not so imporant for me now that Midnight Stalker lost Demise Eternal.  He was an auto-include before for scheming, now.. not so sure.  The other two I rarely if ever use.  Others may get better mileage out of Hans but I find him near useless.  Can't wait for Catalan Snipers to render him fully redundant. 

I'd bump the A Hard Day's Work up to orange just for the option of a Prospector.  Sure Parker can generate soulstones but that's not always a given.  A Prospector is always reliable for that.
Barbaros can be useful for sure, but maybe not enough to elevate to orange.

Agree Bayou Smugglers should get a mention having Bandit keyword, but second from last in red category.  At least their marker drag makes them useful for something, Benny should stay rock bottom.

• Agree 1

To be honest with Bandits I'd drop Folsom Prison Blues down to yellow and Hodgepodge Fate up to green. Sue and Convict Gunslingers are very much sometimes picks. Mad Dog is the only Bandit I am guaranteed to have in every list. The Emissary conversely gets taken without fail, integrates perfectly with the crew's core mechanics, and makes every Bandit list I write before any Keyword models are considered.

• Agree 1

On 5/14/2021 at 1:26 PM, touchdown said:

If you had to pick a crew box to be green, I agree it's Loyalty to Coin, but honestly the only models I really consider core for the Viks are in the master box. I branch to versatile as much as other mercenary models after Vanessa and some ronin. I would bump the starter box up to Orange for sure. Yannic could make Desperate Mercs worthwhile, and the Brawler is amazing at keeping the Viks upright if you have to fight in the middle.

Easy fix.

On 5/14/2021 at 6:00 PM, CateranLlama said:

Technically the Bayou Smugglers are in Parker's keyword, but I haven't been able to get any use out of them since they were errata'd so hard way back when.

Good catch, I'll add them to the list.

On 5/15/2021 at 8:07 AM, Essexkiwi said:

For your Bandit one, I'd switch around the yellow and orange a bit.

Dead Outlaws just don't do it for me in a Bandit crew.  In Tormented keyword they're gold, but in Bandit outside of putting on Staggered or Slow they have minimal use and other minions outshine them.  Their ability to put Fast on a model is only really useful IME to Sue, and getting that to work is situational.  I'd bumpt them down to orange. 

The ones you've got in yellow, the Emissary/Effigy should be top of that list.  The Emissary in Bandit is super good.   
Wokou Raiders come in next for me.  Definitely need bumping up from Orange.  I'd use them far more often than a Dead Outlaw.  

The Paid in Blood box not so imporant for me now that Midnight Stalker lost Demise Eternal.  He was an auto-include before for scheming, now.. not so sure.  The other two I rarely if ever use.  Others may get better mileage out of Hans but I find him near useless.  Can't wait for Catalan Snipers to render him fully redundant. 

I'd bump the A Hard Day's Work up to orange just for the option of a Prospector.  Sure Parker can generate soulstones but that's not always a given.  A Prospector is always reliable for that.
Barbaros can be useful for sure, but maybe not enough to elevate to orange.

Agree Bayou Smugglers should get a mention having Bandit keyword, but second from last in red category.  At least their marker drag makes them useful for something, Benny should stay rock bottom.

I still think Stalker is needed for things like Symbols and Prospector feels unnecessary for Bandits, but the other changes seem fine.