Guild Building on a Budget

Khyodee

13 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

From my understanding, 'core' for competitive guild is essentially lone Marshal, pale rider, guild lawyer, steward.

After that you can season with whatever core box you like.

Is that correct?

Mostly yes. Unless you are playing Hoffman 😅

• Like 1

Based on following the other faction topics in this series, I think the OP is looking for 'reasonably competitive while mostly in keyword'.  If you took their opening criteria, I imagine that it might be more appropriate to reorder them as follows:

2) Limit the initial purchases to 2-3 boxes (less is better)
3) Focus on Keyword models followed by good Versatiles
4) Generally avoid non-faction models (except those in master box) and taxed models
1) Make a competitive list with some flexibility if possible

Which seems like a reasonable primer for newer players, who are imho more likely to be drawn in by the fluff and aesthetics of Malifaux (which would generally lead to a desire to stay in keyword) and less likely to be driven to be the strongest player in their meta.  It's still important to be reasonably competitive (even players who don't find winning to be the goal don't want to get slapped senseless all the time), but bleeding edge of the meta isn't important. Those who want to be strong competitors are likely to do their own additional research and therefore find the various master/faction tactics articles.

With that in mind, if Nellie is trash tier staying in keyword, then yeah all those versatile options should get moved up, but if she can be reasonably competitive in keyword, then I can see why the OP would want to keep more to keyword.

26 minutes ago, Cats Laughing said:

Based on following the other faction topics in this series, I think the OP is looking for 'reasonably competitive while mostly in keyword'.  If you took their opening criteria, I imagine that it might be more appropriate to reorder them as follows:

2) Limit the initial purchases to 2-3 boxes (less is better)
3) Focus on Keyword models followed by good Versatiles
4) Generally avoid non-faction models (except those in master box) and taxed models
1) Make a competitive list with some flexibility if possible

Which seems like a reasonable primer for newer players, who are imho more likely to be drawn in by the fluff and aesthetics of Malifaux (which would generally lead to a desire to stay in keyword) and less likely to be driven to be the strongest player in their meta.  It's still important to be reasonably competitive (even players who don't find winning to be the goal don't want to get slapped senseless all the time), but bleeding edge of the meta isn't important. Those who want to be strong competitors are likely to do their own additional research and therefore find the various master/faction tactics articles.

With that in mind, if Nellie is trash tier staying in keyword, then yeah all those versatile options should get moved up, but if she can be reasonably competitive in keyword, then I can see why the OP would want to keep more to keyword.

A bit more guidance in this regard might be good.

To a degree, the most budget-friendly way to play is to make maximum use of a small number of versatile and powerful OOK models, but it seems like the priority might be theme first, power second. Which may make sense for new players - they tend to be attracted to a keyword based on the models in the keyword.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

From my understanding, 'core' for competitive guild is essentially lone Marshal, pale rider, guild lawyer, steward.

After that you can season with whatever core box you like.

Is that correct?

Hoffman is different with his construct theme. LJ can stay in keyword and perform well, but it includes Lone Marshall

Even for these two, Pale rider + LLC is really good on corrupted ley lines.

Otherwise, these versatiles/OOK are really good in any keyword.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 2:36 PM, Corwin said:

Yes and no, in guild I really like using Lucius as my a damage dealers with Hidden Sniper and Expert Marksman. Pump up him, Agent 46  and the Doppleganger up with Lawers and changelings and kill whatever gets within 12 inches of anything. You can Lure things in with the Doppelganger and beat them up one by one using there own attack against them.

Your Lucius game is so unique, but I've seen how effective it is.  It's tough to deal with.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

He's still OP? After the summon nerfs? Was he even mind blowing to begin with

On 6/20/2021 at 10:27 AM, Assdex said:

Malifaux 3ed summon still broken , nothing new since 2016 when i start to play.

I think summonings in a far better place now, some got injured more than others, and it's occasionally a tad weak, but hardly broken. But what does that second bit even mean?

• Agree 2