Explorers Building on a Budget

Khyodee

Hey folks, I could use some help on my Building on a Budget series of videos for S&S. The idea is to follow these guidelines:
1) Make a competitive list with some flexibility if possible
2) Limit the initial purchases to 2-3 boxes (less is better)
3) Focus on Keyword models followed by good Versatiles
4) Generally avoid non-faction models (except those in master box) and taxed models

The color coding is
-Green are first purchases (required or highly recommended)
-Yellow are second tier purchases to really tune your list
-Orange are third tier purchases that will improve your lists flexibility
-Red are optional purchases if you want them (the rest of the keyword and versatile models)

**UPDATED LISTS**
apex-2.jpg
cadmus-2.jpg
dua-2.jpg
evs-2.jpg
frontier-2.jpg
seeker-2.jpg
syndicate-2.jpg
wastrel-3.jpg

• Like 1

Hopeful Prospects are really good in Cooper, so the starter should be rated higher for him. And not sure I'd rate the effigy/emissary as high for his keyword.

On the other hand, if battle reports and chatter are anything to go by, the Emissary is borderline busted with Cadmus, so should probably be yellow (or at least orange) there. And Mr. Ngaatoro is very good with them too. 

I think it would be interesting and useful to colour code models within the boxes. If people really care about budget understanding that you are buying a box because 1 model is critical but the other X are worthless is probably useful information for selecting boxes.

For example with cadmus, (from battle reports as @NoisyAssassin says) the effigy would be black, but the emmisary is currently at least yellow.

Also from reports the Archivist seems to be generally considered OP, so is probably yellow in most crews at the moment?

14 minutes ago, diki said:

I think it would be interesting and useful to colour code models within the boxes. If people really care about budget understanding that you are buying a box because 1 model is critical but the other X are worthless is probably useful information for selecting boxes.

For example with cadmus, (from battle reports as @NoisyAssassin says) the effigy would be black, but the emmisary is currently at least yellow.

Thats quite complex to try and tell a new player, you need to then look at ss value per $ (or currency of your choice) and thats pretty hard to say. 

And I haven't followed too many Cadmus battle reports recently but there were several that hired the effigy (often with the upgrade) so Black is probably over the top, as I think the biggest problem the Emissary has with Cadmus is the Aura of Courage, which the effigy also has. (Although the full package for the take the hit and Phalanx is certainly well worth its cost). I agree the box is at least yellow, if not actually green. (Its not essential, but its a very strong pick in almost all circumstances for Cadmus)

8 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Any reason Botanists are ranked so highly for McCabe?

I got the Wild Ones Box (so Rough Riders) and the One Born Every Minute box and feel pretty set to play the keyword.

I'm guessing with marker generation & consumption from McCabe's crew, you can build grow tokens fast on the botanists

On 5/11/2021 at 2:44 PM, NoisyAssassin said:

Hopeful Prospects are really good in Cooper, so the starter should be rated higher for him. And not sure I'd rate the effigy/emissary as high for his keyword.

On the other hand, if battle reports and chatter are anything to go by, the Emissary is borderline busted with Cadmus, so should probably be yellow (or at least orange) there. And Mr. Ngaatoro is very good with them too. 

The S&S play group has a Explorers playing ranked pretty high in vassal league, so using his lists as my reference point. He likes Prospects, but never seems to actually take them in his lists. As for the Emissary, he thinks its a mistake and prefers double Cryptologists + extra Eyes and Ears.

On 5/12/2021 at 3:57 AM, Maniacal_cackle said:

Any reason Botanists are ranked so highly for McCabe?

I got the Wild Ones Box (so Rough Riders) and the One Born Every Minute box and feel pretty set to play the keyword.

Rough Riders are way to fragile and it seems most good players I know agree with me that they look decent, but just never perform very well. Botanists on the other hand synergize with what McCabe is already doing (removing markers to hand out upgrades) so you can power them up quickly.

15 hours ago, Khyodee said:

Botanists on the other hand synergize with what McCabe is already doing (removing markers to hand out upgrades) so you can power them up quickly.

Can Botanists gain Grow token from McCabe given that he is, instead of removing, discarding Scrap markers.