Spending Chi to modify a duel total - no limit?

bakaryu135

Question

Hi all, relatively new to Malifaux 3E (mostly due to lockdown and stuff) but a housemate and I have started cracking out some practice games and there has been some disputes when it comes to my opponent and Shenlong's chi tokens.

Normally applying rules to modify a duel happen before the flip but Chi tokens specifically break the rules in that respect (and thats fine), however the dispute comes to how many times in a single duel an opponent can spend Chi tokens to add +2 to a duel.

The rules says that a model can spend one chi token to add +2 to the duel, but my opponent argues that there is nothing in the rule that says that it is once per duel, and considering Shenlong's tendency to hold on to like 6+ chi tokens at any given time because of his ability to take them off other monks and he proves to be completely impossible for me to kill and his stances give him a shit ton of mobility so locking him down is just as difficult.

3 answers to this question

1 minute ago, santaclaws01 said:

The rule says you may spend 1 chi token to gain +2, so you may spend 1 chi token to gain +2 or you can spend no chi tokens.

Thanks Santaclaws, that makes him a whole lot more manageable and far less invincible than he was coming across in our first few games.

6 hours ago, bakaryu135 said:

Thanks Santaclaws, that makes him a whole lot more manageable and far less invincible than he was coming across in our first few games.

Look at Chasing Fate on the riders for an example of an ability that allows you to spend multiple tokens.

"Chasing Fate (:tome) : During the Start Phase, this model gains Fate Tokens equal to the current Turn number. When declaring Triggers, this model may discard any number of Fate Tokens to gain +:tome to its final duel total for each discarded Token."

• Like 1