Bayou List Building on a Budget.

Khyodee

Hey folks, I could use some help on my Building on a Budget series of videos for S&S. The idea is to follow these guidelines:
1) Make a competitive list with some flexibility if possible
2) Limit the initial purchases to 2-3 boxes (less is better)
3) Focus on Keyword models followed by good Versatiles
4) Generally avoid non-faction models (except those in master box) and taxed models

The color coding is
-Green are first purchases (required or highly recommended)
-Yellow are second tier purchases to really tune your list
-Orange are third tier purchases that will improve your lists flexibility
-Red are optional purchases if you want them (the rest of the keyword and versatile models)

**5-14-21  UPDATED LISTS**
bighat-2.jpg
infamous-2.jpg
kin-2.jpg
sooey-2.jpg
swampfiend-2.jpg
trichi-2.jpg
tricksey-2.jpg
wizzbang-2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

i dont know ophelia very well, but i wouldnt mark gluttony as black in it, hes got some very good marker removal, decent anti-scheming and respectable damage

for mah i would put weird science as a green, the amount those models can provide into a lot of matchups and pools is invaluable between brin helping your card draw and test subjects being surprisingly tanky minions and rather potent anti-armor (especially for its cost) typically i would take out the third rooster rider for a 3rd bushwhacker, flex between brin and trixie on the fly and i wouldn't always recommend having two riders with IC

Edit: I would absolutely not diss meris in Ophelia and I would switch when pigs fly and off the top rope for zipp

As an opponent to Brewmaster, I think I'd put fermented river monks in green. Their 2" melee, damage reduction, and chi tokens make them incredible tar pits that let you die down the opponent and do whatever you want with the rest of your crew. I would drop terror in a barrel down to yellow as crazy as that seems at first glance.

This part is pure theory, but I think with the GG2 summoning rules, Som'er might want to hire Bayou Gators. His own summons can't interact with strategy markers, but he can summon criers who can obey Gators (who have good mobility and stealth). I might bump that box up to red for him.

• Like 1

For the masters I play

Zip

Beside the core box, he's really customizable. Mancha is not a most have imo. Wrastlers are useless, so it's 35$ for one hench... I'll put them in yellow (my next box after the core would actually be Merris and the flying pigs). Smugglers should be in orange, since the errata they provide some utility.

Ulix

You need a lot of stuff to make his crew work... But you must have all the pigs minions. If you don't you can't grow... so the slop hauler box should be in yellow, but both the Sow box and the Squealer box should be in green.

Mah

An other flexible master. The only box I would always buy is BBB and his subjects (so green). Than you have a choice : Robots or not. I would put Rooster, SS miner and Spark all in yellow. Side note, I know we are not suppose to go for OOK, but I thin the regular Mah list (no robots) have an hard time to operate without a Bokor in some pool.

Zoraida 

Lucky is not mandatory... He's actually quite good in Leyline (as in many Bayou crew) or if you need marker removal, But Z has other options in keyword. I would put him in Orange (maybe even red). The first Mate will make most of your Z crew... But a full core just for one model... I can see why he's yellow. Silurid should be in yellow, maybe green (if you keep TFM in yellow). Than all the NB keyword option and Spawn mother should be in orange since they're all legit (grootslang being the one I use the least in Bayou Z personally). 

• Like 1

For Wong you can drop Pig Trouble to Orange an put the Swine Cursed in green. Pigapult can go to Orange and maybe either bring the Creative Taxidermy as Yellow or keep it Orange with the Pult.

For Brewmaster, put the "Terror in a Barrel" and the Fermented River Monks as yellow.

1 hour ago, touchdown said:

As an opponent to Brewmaster, I think I'd put fermented river monks in green. Their 2" melee, damage reduction, and chi tokens make them incredible tar pits that let you die down the opponent and do whatever you want with the rest of your crew. 

Agreed, Fermented monks are the crutch my Tri-Chi depend on. 

1 hour ago, SEV said:

Beside the core box, he's really customizable. Mancha is not a mist have imo. Wrastlers are useless, so it's 35$ for one hench... I'll put them in yellow (my next box after the core would actually be Merris and the flying pigs).

This was my thought too. 

@Khyodee I think a lot of people would argue over wear goes where, but I really appreciate the effort you put in. It's pretty neat. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, ShinChan said:

For Wong you can drop Pig Trouble to Orange an put the Swine Cursed in green. Pigapult can go to Orange and maybe either bring the Creative Taxidermy as Yellow or keep it Orange with the Pult.

I love Swinecursed, but unfortunately you need Piglets and/or Bayou Gremlins to make use of their demise ability. So unless you can get them second hand, you're looking at also buying Deliverance and either Makin’ Bacon OR Mudlight Whispers.

As for Wong on the whole, I agree with the green options. They give you a 50SS crew and cover all the bases you need to get full use out of Wong. 

For Yellow, I'd recomend Creative Taxidermy and the Pigapult. Taxidermists are surprisingly dangerous and their summoning can prove very useful. The PIgapult opens up alot of mobility options for the crew, including the ability to hurl those taxidermists across the board to assassinate enemy models. ;)

For orange, I'd go with When Pigs Fly and Copycats.  Flying Piglets from the former are great potential summons for the Taxidermist (though admitedly less so with GG2). Sammy from Copycats is a great inclusion for Wong, but she's just not cheap when you consider the three other Kin that come with her box. Hence why I'm ranking her lower. 

Swinecursed are Orange too. Hell, they should be Yellow but like I said above, you still really want that pair of Bayou Gremlins and Piglets for when they die.

Beyond that, the Red are all pretty much as I'd expect. 

19 hours ago, fire5tone said:

i dont know ophelia very well, but i wouldnt mark gluttony as black in it, hes got some very good marker removal, decent anti-scheming and respectable damage

for mah i would put weird science as a green, the amount those models can provide into a lot of matchups and pools is invaluable between brin helping your card draw and test subjects being surprisingly tanky minions and rather potent anti-armor (especially for its cost) typically i would take out the third rooster rider for a 3rd bushwhacker, flex between brin and trixie on the fly and i wouldn't always recommend having two riders with IC

Edit: I would absolutely not diss meris in Ophelia and I would switch when pigs fly and off the top rope for zipp

Weird Science seems a worse box then Rooster Riders for filling out a crew since test subjects are only 4ss (so 12ss filled vs 21 filled). So in keeping with the "as few boxes as possible to start" The riders seem to be the better purchase. EDIT: After looking at it and multiple people saying to go Test Subjects, you do have plenty of purchases to fill out the list that way.

1 hour ago, Khyodee said:

Weird Science seems a worse box then Rooster Riders for filling out a crew since test subjects are only 4ss (so 12ss filled vs 21 filled). So in keeping with the "as few boxes as possible to start" The riders seem to be the better purchase. EDIT: After looking at it and multiple people saying to go Test Subjects, you do have plenty of purchases to fill out the list that way.

Most of the time, I think I would rather have this list

Cheap Mah (Bayou)
Size: 50 - Pool: 9
Leader:
  Mah Tucket
Totem(s):
  The Little Lass
Hires:
  Big Brain Brin
  Trixiebelle
  Bushwhacker
  Bushwhacker 2
  Bushwhacker 3
  Test Subject
  Test Subject 2

Than this list 

Cheap Mah (Bayou)
Size: 50 - Pool: 10
Leader:
  Mah Tucket
Totem(s):
  The Little Lass
Hires:
  Trixiebelle
  Bushwhacker
  Bushwhacker 2
  Rooster Rider
  Rooster Rider 2
  Rooster Rider 3

(Assuming you have 4 to 6 ss in each list for upgrade). But honestly it's close and I can't fault you to go either way (my first Faux buy ever were actually Mah + Riders and I must admit for a beginner this is great since they're quite simple to use).

Thank for doing this btw, it would have help me when I started.

I built my bayou realllllllllll cheap thanks to local stores still having 2e stuff. 2e wong starter + wrastler box + alt lenny + merris + smugglers + Brin for the cost of any other 3e starter set. Missing cards sucks, but I haven't played a game without the app so.

Kin

Feel Merris should bump up when pig fly for Kin to at least yellow. Merris is really helpful to kin and Sammy can summon in flying piig

Tricksy/family

Gluttony can be really nice these keywords. Family has lots of corpses and moving people into pit traps can do a lot of damage.

Wizz-bang

Unfortunately I feel they really need Sammy. The rest of the box isn't helpful but she is needed.

Tri-chi

Akaname should be at least yellow. If you want to run Cooper you will probably need akaname for both poison and they can be good scheme runners.

On 5/15/2021 at 7:06 AM, wizuriel said:

Kin

Feel Merris should bump up when pig fly for Kin to at least yellow. Merris is really helpful to kin and Sammy can summon in flying piig

Easy fix.

Tricksy/family

Gluttony can be really nice these keywords. Family has lots of corpses and moving people into pit traps can do a lot of damage.

I'll never recommend a new player buying a $50 model that they may use.

Wizz-bang

Unfortunately I feel they really need Sammy. The rest of the box isn't helpful but she is needed.

I originally had her higher, but I was told by several players that she isn't needed/worth buying for just her model *shrug*.

Tri-chi

Akaname should be at least yellow. If you want to run Cooper you will probably need akaname for both poison and they can be good scheme runners.

I'm not sure if Cooper is a high take and as scheme runners they die to a breeze with no defense tech other then hiding.

38 minutes ago, Khyodee said:

I'm not sure if Cooper is a high take and as scheme runners they die to a breeze with no defense tech other then hiding.

Cooper is actually pretty stellar for get cost. Unlike the other Armored stuff in faction she has a self heal. Hide in the barrel is pretty great too once she's in position. Armor+Shielded+Squeel Self Healing makes her really tanky.

She hits pretty hard too. 2/3/4 doesn't seem like a great damage track but with burning 2 built in she hits the 1/4 sweat spots for burning on her first two attacks so it's a bit like 3/4/5 on a 7ss enforcer. It's better in some situations, like vs hard to kill, or when you want to kill a model with conditions instead of with an attack, and worse in others. 

Just that makes her a good pick a lot of times. She gets better with scrap access.

That being said I think Akaname and post nerf Tanuki are not high picks for in keyword minions.