Title Speculation, Bayou eddition.

Thatguy

Everyone else has a thread, it's time to play Copy Cat.

Any ideas, speculation, wishlisting for new Master titles?

The news that EVERY master in the game is getting an alternate title is pretty huge, roughly doubling the number of playstyles in the game.

My personal wish is for the return of Rambo Som'er. Either on/with Peaches or seeing a return of the much hated Dumb Luck trigger.

Wong becomes dual faction Archanist with the Peformer keyword.

I'm kidding.... Seriously though I have high hopes that they'll do something interesting with Brewmaster and Ulix. I feel like there's going to be a strong temptation to fall back on themes that were apparent in the M2E limited upgrades for each master.

Ulix has to do something with pigs... What else is there since summoning seems like it's under "attack"?

• Like 1

Ophelia : control oriented duelist (lock up an Ennemy models in a stand of that resolve later in the turn).

Somer : gremlin menace (command horde of insignificant zombies... I mean gremlins)

Wong : crazier than ever... Make him do some random things because of uncontrollable magic.

Mah : area control via pit traps. More interaction with pit trap please!

Ulix: upgrade thos piggies. Put buff upgrade on your piggies and send them to battle.

Zip : schemy master... He could interact for once.

Brewie : control the drunks (obey like actions on models with poison).

Zoraida : curse! Master centre in debuffing and slowing down your opponent.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, the tick said:

Ulix has to do something with pigs... What else is there since summoning seems like it's under "attack"?

Maybe he'll get his bow back and become a mobile sniper.

14 minutes ago, SEV said:

Ophelia : control oriented duelist (lock up an Ennemy models in a stand of that resolve later in the turn).

I like this idea. Maybe something that Ends Ophelia's activation and takes her and the model out of the normal activation order so they go last. So they stare at each other until one goes for a gun.

17 minutes ago, SEV said:

Brewie : control the drunks (obey like actions on models with poison).

He sort of already does this with A Small Favor. Maybe he could get something like the MoonShine-obi's Drunken Kungfu and become more of a beater.

• Like 1

Wong I could see focusing on his Three Demon Bag which is a massively powerful artefact but isn't really represented on his current version. It used to be able to Bury models as well as transform them into Piglets so a more control-oriented Master profile would make sense.

Ophelia is a weird case - unless she gets new Totems then the Guns seem like they would be staying and if they stay her role would seem like it might be rather similar to what it is now unless something convoluted happens. The standoff idea does seem fun, though.

Zipp could focus on his blimp so no rocketpack but a rope to hang onto?

Zoraida used to be able to transform into a Raven and hire any living low-Wp models no matter their Faction - those are some blasts from the past that would certainly lead to a different playstyle. Alternatively I could see her summoning Waldgeists and Wisps.

Mah has the stolen tech subtheme which I could see being explored more. Maybe she rides around on a stolen and modified Peacekeeper or a mining contraption of some sort.

Brewie could turn from a debuffer to more of a buffer giving his crew bonuses from them having Poison. For example, an Aura in which friendly Tri-Chi can treat Poison as Shielded.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, GrumpyGrandpa said:

:ToS-Mask:“Malifaux School of Running Away from Things”: Push target 4 in any direction, then push this model 4 towards the target

This seems really strong getting 10" movement, moving a friendly/enemy. Possibly applying adversary or makeway tests.

I might do something like:

Oh, Lard He Commin': Reduce the range of all pushes and movements this model does by +1" for every Growth token it has on it (to a maximum of +4)

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Zoraida used to be able to transform into a Raven and hire any living low-Wp models no matter their Faction - those are some blasts from the past that would certainly lead to a different playstyle. Alternatively I could see her

This would be a really cool idea. 

Being able to take Fuhatsu and Papa Loco with Zorida sounds great. 

For Ulix specifically, I have concerns about doing a "thematic" change without changing the keyword models. Regardless of how it's modified, if the new theme still involves summoning, in any capacity, people are going to whinge and moan. And based on Wyrd's errata in the last few years, I'm inclined to think that they won't be treating summoners kindly.

So maybe what @Thatguy
said is an option and we'll get a version of Ulix that sorta mirrors what he did back in 2E with the bow upgrade. But if his pigs are (allegedly) balanced around being summoned, then I'm not sure where that leaves those models if they're not also modified?

• Agree 1

I see the titles being related to versions of the masters based on the fluff.

I haven't read the latest Bayou book, but based on previous books can see titles like

Somer: Not Sure

Ophelia: The Rebel. Furious after losing the vote for Bayou chief Ophelia tries to sabotage  Lenny and gain popularity. Can see her focusing more on hit and run tactics and jumping around the board

Brewmaster: Double Agent: Focus back on his 10T days. Can see a slightly wider hiring pool and focus more on poison doing damage than controlling

Wong: (insert demon name here) puppet: Focus on his use of the demon bag and connection to the demon in the bag

Zipp: Not sure

Zoraida: Not Sure

Ulix: Hunter: Focus more on using the bow and causing his pigs to charge. Since he is known for traps and ambushes maybe can start with an extra X amount of Pig models 

Mah: Not Sure

28 minutes ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Maybe a buff approach, then?

Yeah I'm totally on board with that. What about a pseudo Marcus type theme where Ulix is a super Taxidermist and puts out upgrades: flying pigs, tunneling pigs, armored pigs, spectral pigs?, poison cloud pigs, pigs with spikes, FAST pigs, fire breathing pigs?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, the tick said:

Yeah I'm totally on board with that. What about a pseudo Marcus type theme where Ulix is a super Taxidermist and puts out upgrades: flying pigs, tunneling pigs, armored pigs, spectral pigs?, poison cloud pigs, pigs with spikes, FAST pigs, fire breathing pigs?

This is my suggestions as well. I think it would allow elite pig list (because without upgrade they're too squishy). 

Ulix: upgrade thos piggies. Put buff upgrade on your piggies and send them to battle

I also really like the wearpig idea of @GrumpyGrandpa. Could Ulix be a dual keyword master soey/wizzbang? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the tick said:

We seriously need a "Love"-button. Until then, you get my +1 internets, sir!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, the tick said:

For Ulix specifically, I have concerns about doing a "thematic" change without changing the keyword models. Regardless of how it's modified, if the new theme still involves summoning, in any capacity, people are going to whinge and moan. And based on Wyrd's errata in the last few years, I'm inclined to think that they won't be treating summoners kindly.

So maybe what @Thatguy
said is an option and we'll get a version of Ulix that sorta mirrors what he did back in 2E with the bow upgrade. But if his pigs are (allegedly) balanced around being summoned, then I'm not sure where that leaves those models if they're not also modified?

I think every summoner is going to have this issue, so I imagine it is going to be one of the biggest points of contention for the crew.

One possibly solution as people say is buffs. Like if you have a marcus-style Ulix maybe it works if he also has a decent bow.

But I think Marcus shows that you need to have a pretty good baseline for a model to be worth buffing (especially if it takes master AP).

• Agree 1

Something just bounced around my noggin. 

I've seen a few questions from people about "What is a good beginner master?"

And it now occurs to me that the Title system might be a good way of addressing this question. The only title we've seen has been about the same complexity of the original but I could see getting an "EZ" version of a Master. More straightforward, less interactions, abilites and triggers. Likely with better stats to compensate for less synergy. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Something just bounced around my noggin. 

I've seen a few questions from people about "What is a good beginner master?"

And it now occurs to me that the Title system might be a good way of addressing this question. The only title we've seen has been about the same complexity of the original but I could see getting an "EZ" version of a Master. More straightforward, less interactions, abilites and triggers. Likely with better stats to compensate for less synergy. 

Mah Tucket: Child Rearing

Ophelia LaCroix: Schooling

Captain Zipp: The Teen Years

The Brewmaster: Legal Adult

On 4/29/2021 at 11:18 PM, Maniacal_cackle said:

But I think Marcus shows that you need to have a pretty good baseline for a model to be worth buffing (especially if it takes master AP).

This is only because Marcus puts an upgrade on a single model at a time (or two with a trigger). If Ulix pulsed upgrades, or applied them at deployment there wouldn't be a need to only place them on elite models. More than two of each type would probably help as well.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MrPieChee said:

This is only because Marcus puts an upgrade on a single model at a time (or two with a trigger). If Ulix pulsed upgrades, or applied them at deployment there wouldn't be a need to only place them on elite models. More than two of each type would probably help as well.

I don't think that really holds up. After all with hired upgrades you still find they appear on the more elite models unless you really want them for that minion ability, and even then they often go onto durable minions to keep that ability.  (You can  probably create upgrades that are best on smaller models, but you really need to make that the focus of the upgrade for it to work, as most of the time it is safer to put them on the bigger safer models to get the best effect from them. Even Von Schills upgrades that just add actions to a model are still more popular on bigger models, although that might be because leap on a larger model is great, as is extra shielding, and those are the two I hear about the most. Rocket launchers, grenade launchers and mines ought to be better on the smaller models especially since you have special rules on the friekorpsmen to not lose the upgrades after 1 use. 

34 minutes ago, Adran said:

I don't think that really holds up. After all with hired upgrades you still find they appear on the more elite models unless you really want them for that minion ability, and even then they often go onto durable minions to keep that ability.  (You can  probably create upgrades that are best on smaller models, but you really need to make that the focus of the upgrade for it to work, as most of the time it is safer to put them on the bigger safer models to get the best effect from them. Even Von Schills upgrades that just add actions to a model are still more popular on bigger models, although that might be because leap on a larger model is great, as is extra shielding, and those are the two I hear about the most. Rocket launchers, grenade launchers and mines ought to be better on the smaller models especially since you have special rules on the friekorpsmen to not lose the upgrades after 1 use. 

That's because they are a limited resource that has a relatively high cost, so you don't want to waste them on a model that can die easily.

If you could pulse 'free' upgrades, and you had enough to go round then the cost is low enough that putting them on low cost minions is worth while.

If it takes a master ap to put a single upgrade on a model, then that is a high cost. If it takes a single master ap to give 8 gremlins fast, that is a low cost. Sure you get less benefit from a 2ss model being fast, but you can afford more in your list, so have more options open.