Arcanist title speculations

eddy

Of the 3 unrevealed Arcanist Masters, I think the most likely pairings are:

Colette: Zipp or Parker, playing into her smuggler background (Both those Masters share Bayou Smuggler, after all).

Sandeep: Basse (Wind Golem, as mentioned) or Brewmaster (Poison/Whiskey Golem/Gamin connection)

Rasputina: Euripides because of the Ice Pillars.

Colette and Rasputina I would be fine with either, but Sandeep I don't want paired with either of those Masters (even though they make sense given the connections between the crews).  I want Basse paired with Ulix to give him another Beast so that he can get some use out of Crockett, and Brewmaster I want paired with McMourning, simply because a friend pointed out how cool it would be to to have a drunken Gremlin surgeon Enforcer!

The other option for Sandeep, which could be cool, is English Ivan, with some kind of shadow Elemental tying them together.

1 hour ago, theamazingmrg said:

Of the 3 unrevealed Arcanist Masters, I think the most likely pairings are:

Colette: Zipp or Parker, playing into her smuggler background (Both those Masters share Bayou Smuggler, after all).

Sandeep: Basse (Wind Golem, as mentioned) or Brewmaster (Poison/Whiskey Golem/Gamin connection)

Rasputina: Euripides because of the Ice Pillars.

Colette and Rasputina I would be fine with either, but Sandeep I don't want paired with either of those Masters (even though they make sense given the connections between the crews).  I want Basse paired with Ulix to give him another Beast so that he can get some use out of Crockett, and Brewmaster I want paired with McMourning, simply because a friend pointed out how cool it would be to to have a drunken Gremlin surgeon Enforcer!

The other option for Sandeep, which could be cool, is English Ivan, with some kind of shadow Elemental tying them together.

I can't think of a better option for Raspy than Euripides. Thematically Sandeep and Shenlong kind of fit - I could see a new monk type model fitting into both crews. I like Colette with Lynch, but who knows what her alternate personality might be.

• Agree 1

I'm assuming Sandeep will be focusing on the Academic part of his keyword instead of Elemental, so I'm hoping he gets paired with von Schtook. Transmortis University recently decided to accept living students, so an exchange student Academic/Transmortis would make some sense and they have prior history. Sandeep apparently gave von Schtook his first book on necromancy.

• Like 1

FWIW (I don't have the link/pic now) there is a chart showing all of the officially spoiled pairs, that shows that Guild (iirc) cannot pair with all of the other factions, so I think we can safely assume that having a pair with every faction is not necessary.

As much as I don't want Euripedes with Raspy (I will buy her, but I doubt I'll ever use him), the Ice Pillar connection is probably too strong.

Youko - Colette sounds interesting, though Colette - Wong would be funny.

Sandeep - Schtook sounds pretty likely for the scholarly ties.

All that said, somehow Molly-Nekima are a pair, so imho anything goes really.

7 hours ago, Cats Laughing said:

FWIW (I don't have the link/pic now) there is a chart showing all of the officially spoiled pairs, that shows that Guild (iirc) cannot pair with all of the other factions, so I think we can safely assume that having a pair with every faction is not necessary.

Well that is excellent information, if someone can link that it would be helpful as well. So the every Faction pairing sounds like its officially off the table. 

My thoughts thus are:

• Colette with Youko, alternatively but less likely maybe with Wong
  • Raputina with Euripides, this just really seems so obvious I am not expecting an alternative
  • Sandeep, now this is a closer call, but I do think Von Schtook makes the most sense theme and fluff wise, with a also reasonable alternative of Shenlong

I would adore Colette with Youko, I simply love both Masters and even though I don't play TT I am slowly investing in the Youko crew. I also love Wong, my favourite Bayou, so assuming I'm right on either of these I'm smiling.

Rasputina is maybe my second most loved Arcanist after our Showgirl and Euripides has intrigued me, I would likely start looking at that crew after I happily bought that pairing box, which is kind of Wyrd's objective, so that would be a success for them.

Sandeep, not in my top two or three played Arcanists and I'm not that interested in Von Schtook, even less keen on a Shenlong crew. So, for me, this is the purchase likely left till last assuming any of these pairings (unless something about Sandeep's title simply blows me away).

18 minutes ago, Peturd said:

I’m curious, why does everyone keep mentioning Sandeep/Shenlong pairing. I can’t see the mechanical link, is there a fluff one I don’t know about?

We saw a wind golem some time ago, and people have no blimming clue who it's for, but *something something* four winds punch so I guess that's the link, tenuous, but possible

Also shenlongs a teacher and something about the importance of flow

10 hours ago, Peturd said:

I’m curious, why does everyone keep mentioning Sandeep/Shenlong pairing. I can’t see the mechanical link, is there a fluff one I don’t know about?

Also it seems to have at least some "thematic" link, Shenlong as an aesthetic monk looking at the mysteries of the four elements and Sandeep as the master arcanist of the elements. It's a stretch for me but in terms of "similar" outlooks it was the best I could come up with that was not Von Schtook, who is really the obvious choice, at least as much as the Raspy/Euripides pairing. The issue was Arcanists had already paired out with Rezzers, but as discussion in this thread mentioned it is already impossible for every faction to pair with every other faction. So I think Von Schtook is the safe bet. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Peturd said:

I'm not sure the pairings have to have any link other than a reason they both have the same new model. 

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Adran said:

I'm not sure the pairings have to have any link other than a reason they both have the same new model. 

That doesn’t do anything to explain multiple people making the same pairing though. If anything that logic should lead to less people pairing the two in speculations.

But yes, I agree. From the moment Nekima/Molly was shown, it was clear the speculation is pointless. Fun! But pointless.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Peturd said:

But yes, I agree. From the moment Nekima/Molly was shown, it was clear the speculation is pointless. Fun! But pointless.

Largely pointless.

But while Nekima/Molly demonstrates that pairings can be totally pulled from the ether we do have multiple duo-titles which are linked in some combination of theme and/or mechanics.

Thus far we've seen the likes of Mei/Mah (a shared model connection already), Perdita/Ophelia (literally a copycat), Cooper/Marcus (classic enemies in the fiction), Jedza/MamaZ (thematic) among the stronger paired connections and several others you can at least justify the same way.

So I feel like Wyrd is, generally, trying to link titles and theme. But we can in no way rely on this.

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, dancater said:

Largely pointless.

But while Nekima/Molly demonstrates that pairings can be totally pulled from the ether we do have multiple duo-titles which are linked in some combination of theme and/or mechanics.

Thus far we've seen the likes of Mei/Mah (a shared model connection already), Perdita/Ophelia (literally a copycat), Cooper/Marcus (classic enemies in the fiction), Jedza/MamaZ (thematic) among the stronger paired connections and several others you can at least justify the same way.

So I feel like Wyrd is, generally, trying to link titles and theme. But we can in no way rely on this.

For sure. Even the slightly more random pairs usually have a very clear thematic and cool linking model. Nekima and Molly sharing an undead Nephelim feels like maybe the zombie Nephelim started this pairing more than anything else

• Agree 1

Just want to say, I think Guild may have scored the best title change thus far. The Perdita title is simply superb, totally changes how you view Family, feel like this will be the absolute clear majority version played when Perdita sees the table.

While I've almost across the board loved the titles this one has stood out. Really hoping our last trilogy of masters approach being as cool as this one.

On 8/28/2021 at 8:57 PM, dancater said:

Just want to say, I think Guild may have scored the best title change thus far. The Perdita title is simply superb, totally changes how you view Family, feel like this will be the absolute clear majority version played when Perdita sees the table.

While I've almost across the board loved the titles this one has stood out. Really hoping our last trilogy of masters approach being as cool as this one.

Have you seen new McMourning? :P

7 hours ago, admiralvorkraft said:

Have you seen new McMourning?

Yeah.

I'm an OG McMourning fan. Didn't mind the new title, it looks powerful, but it didn't excite me crew theme wise to play. Not like Perdita's new title.

In most cases, which is actually a good thing, the titles interest me in inverse proportion to how much the OG master and crew did. I really think that the goal of the titles to spin a very different crew theme with the titles means if they got things right we should expect this a lot, OG masters we were less fond of will often as not have intriguing titles, and the reverse it true for those OG masters we love already, their titles will not always fire us up.

The biggest exception to that so far is Mah Tuckett, the OG version is my second favourite Bayou after Wong, and Mecha-Mah is absolutely amazing as well.

Thus far my top title reveals are, Foreman Mei (because Arcanists are the best to start with anyway), Mecha-Mah, Perdita the Neverborn Hunter. President Ironsides is great. I prefer the OG Hoffman and Kaeris over the titles on initial look. Alpha Marcus vs OG Marcus is an open question, I haven't played Marcus much in 3e, not sure which one I'd prefer.  

On 8/26/2021 at 7:27 PM, dancater said:

Well that is excellent information, if someone can link that it would be helpful as well. So the every Faction pairing sounds like its officially off the table. 

Here was the chart as of August 24th. Note that via 'other spoilers' we knew that Perdita & Ophelia were a pair and Nellie & <spoilers> were a pair, leaving Guild with no Neverborn/Arcanist/Ten Thunders pairing and only 2 unpaired models left.  With Mei-Mah spoiled, that stopped Guild from having any ability to pick up the 3 unpaired factions via their two remaining unpaired masters (since Marcus was already paired and there is no dual faction Neverborn/Ten Thunders master). Note that I'm making the assumption that the ToS box with Sonnia/Kirai is the pairing though the person who made the below chart did not make the same assumption.

Note: Neveborn have only 3 unspoiled and need to pair with 4 factions (Guild/Arcanist/Outcasts/Ten Thunders) and Hoffman is already spoiled, so they also won't pair with every faction either.

Currently I think all of the other factions could end up pairing with each other faction. Or at least that cannot be ruled out, given number of unspoiled masters > remaining unpaired faction numbers.

image.thumb.png.0b3d6e092820c60856ee2552f9c7734a.png

• Like 1

Well we have a Arcanist/Neverborn pairing.

Colette and the Star Theatre Performers got partnered with Pandora and her Woe's.

So that leaves Guild and Ten Thunders without an Arcanist link, if they are getting one?

With our Ice Queen Rasputina and Elementalist Scholar Sandeep waiting for someone to ask them to dance.

• 3 weeks later...

So the final tally was:

1. Charles Hoffman the Inventor, paired with Outcasts (Von Schill) with the Metallurgist Augmented keyword
  2. Marcus the Alpha, paired with Explorers (Lord Cooper) with the Empyrean Eagle Chimera keyword
  3. Toni Ironsides Union President and the new Arcanist model the Drudge, paired with Explorers (Anya Lycarayen)
  4. Kaeris Reborn and the new Arcanist Enforcer Deacon Hillcrest, paired with Resurrectionists (Reva Cortinas)
  5. Mei Feng the Foreman, paired with Bayou (Mah Tucket) with the Rockhopper Foundry keyword
  6. Smuggler Colette, paired with Neverborn (Pandora) with Dorian Crowe Performer keyword
  7. Abominable Rasputina, paired with Neverborn (Euripides) and the Kaltgeist Frozen Heart keyword
  8. Sandeep Desai Font of Magic and the new Arcanist Enforcer the Four Winds Golem, paired with Ten Thunders (Shenlong)

So we got paired with Explorers x2, Neverborn x2, Bayou x1, Outcasts x1, Resurrectionists x1 and Ten Thunders x1

We got 3 new Arcanist models; the Drudge a Minion (3), the Four Winds Golem an Enforcer and Deacon Hillcrest an Enforcer. The other 5 models are out of faction keyword.   

• Like 1